Hostel Casa Colon
Hotel Catalunia(San Jose)
Autentico Hotel(San Jose)
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsprivate roomkey card accesssmall lockershand dryercoca cola bus stationbed dormbus terminalcomfortable mattressescosta ricaexcellent wifihot watermain roadceiling fanconvenient locationrecommend staying herenight stayonly stayed one night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Stayed twice on our recent trip (arriving and departing). Very clean, nice decor and great spaces to hang out with others. Our room for the first night was spacious and clean, but a lot of street noise-ear plugs were a great help. Staff was kind and helpful when asked. Our second night was a small upstairs room. This room was very quiet, but really small which makes the common areas essential. I don't think the other rooms are this small. Close walk to bus. Hot showers with good pressure. Basic free breakfast, with coffee, tea. There is a computer available for Internet if you don't have a laptop and they let us print our boarding passes for free.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank michelleco
Reviewed 22 September 2011

This place is beautiful, I am here as I type waiting for my chicken fingers, will let you know how they are...:) This place is a 3 dollar cab from the bus stations, it is a gorgeous old colononial house, Costa Rica style turned into a hotel....OK the chicken fingers were some of the best I have ever had, I also had my eye on the homemade cheese sticks, the menu looked awesome with good prices... Everybody was really friendly and because there is a gorgeous cafe attached some locals were here enjoying a game of football which made for a really nice environment...I am staying in a back room away from the road so it is very quiet and because this place is new and low season I am in a dorm room alone for 14 dollars...the dorm room is great really homey and beautiful....I think this is my new favorite San Jose hostel.....Huge screen TV, a few actually, lots of couches everywhere, wifi, The place is incredible....:) This secret wont be kept for long....

Room Tip: Back rooms
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank tiffanytiffany
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I believe the hostel is ranked highly due to its decor.
The hostel looks like a hotel and is very nicely decorated. Staff were helpful and friendly. The hostel has it's own taxi service to take you to the airport etc, but you are overcharged for the journeys (which we later discovered)
Stayed in the double room of the hostel for two nights before heading on our travels. The road is extremely noisy with vehicles beeping and revving throughout the night, into the early morning. If there are a bunch of noisy people drinking downstairs, which there was during our stay, the noise carries through the building.
We also had 2 men, electricians supervised by the hostel cleaning lady, doing electrical work and drilling in our room while we were in it!!!
If you want to sleep, don't stay here.
The private double has no A/C but it does have a ceiling fan.
Breakfast was 2 slices of toast with cold coffee and warm juice!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank awelshlady
Reviewed 2 July 2011

This is the 5 star hotel of the hostel world, with out the cost. My girlfriend and I stayed in their private room last night for US $50 and it was the perfect way to end the trip. It is a beautiful old home, exceptionally clean, cheap awesome food ( tortilla soup!), cheap drinks. This place retains everything we love about hostels and houses it in an elegant setting without the cost... Awesome.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank michaelAloysius
Reviewed 25 June 2011

It's only just opened (June 2011), so they're still putting on the finishing touches, but it's a great place to stay. At $20US for a nice shared room it's a good deal, but it's also quite beautiful, and the staff is attentive, almost to a fault.

• Stayed: June 2011