“Excellent Location”
Review of Hostel Casa Colon

Hostel Casa Colon
Ranked #27 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Hostel Casa Colon was in a great location, not too far from the airport and walking distance to downtown San Jose as well as the park. We had a superior double private room and it was very spacious and clean with a king size bed. The staff was nice enough and it comes with a breakfast in the morning of your choice of continental or traditional. A good place to stay while passing through San Jose.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hostel Casa Colon

Reviewed 27 November 2013

After a miserable bus ride from Nicaragua that seemed to take a day longer than planned, we were sooooo relieved when we walked into this place!! I'm rightfully hesitant when it comes to hostels in San Jose after my first talk with a guy that said he even keeps a knife with him in the showers for self defense, but this was definitely more of a hotel than a hostel. Probably the best shower I"ve had in Central America, walking distance from the TicaBus San Jose station (even at night it's only a few blocks down decently lit streets), clean, comfy beds, and a huge TV if you care. We got off the bus later in the evening and only spent one night, but food was decent at the in-house restaurant, wifi available, and the lobby was super comfortable. In fact, knowing we were waking up to another miserable bus ride the next day, we almost considered staying just one more relaxing night in San Jose….

Room Tip: You're in downtown San Jose next to busy intersections - just drink a glass of wine and ignore t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed there one night, it was fine, the room was spacious and clean, we had 2 showers in the bathroom, only one had hot water. The staff is not really friendly or helpful though. The breakfast was okay, but a little more consistent would of been nice.

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I do not complaint about the staff, just the space. I had read about it in a previous review, I thought "well, let's see what happens". We asked for a private double basic, there is a premium (I think it's called); the difference between the two, they said, is the bed size. The space was pretty tight, and I mean, there was not even 1 meter from one side of the bed and the wall, and from the other side, none.
The bathroom is an addition and it's a plank, so you can hear all sounds (I point it out for people who have a problem with this)

The sink is in the room, in front of the bed. Ours had a leak, it was taken care of after we left because we only stayed one night.

I think it's a very closed environment, not a lot of windows.

It was clean, and we had a room in the back so there was little noise from the street.

Room Tip: Get the premium if you can, maybe it's bigger
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mary c
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I've stayed in hostel casa colon twice now and both times I've been blown away by the beautiful building, quiet atmosphere, and friendly staff. While is a little more costly than most hostels, it is well worth it and I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I don't have any complaints about this place! ok, maybe one..

The place is clean and comfy, the front desk staff were really nice and I felt comfortable and safe. (I was there by myself). Also, the pictures they have only are accurate.

It is a few stores from a super market and some cowboy shops (they sold cowboy stuff) and a few blocks from the shopping area.

I truly dislike San Jose, CR because it reminds me of the Bronx, NY on Fordham RD however, this place was really nice and I enjoyed my night stay.

There were some workers relaxing when I arrived. I didn't like this because it looked unprofessional however, they were in the back near the kitchen awaiting customers and I just happened to need the bathroom so I had to walk past them. The were not rude or unfriendly, it was just unexpected on my part (partly because I am used to NYC and DC life but mostly because I am an HR professional).

Cost+ atmosphere= good cheap living!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ashley N
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I duly recommended, staff very helpful, rooms were clean and will be cleaned if asked. arrived late at night and put us in the first available room.The hostel is within walking distance to the city, bus station, supermarket, restaurants, and parks. Hostel has a unique charm with detailed wooden banister. price also includes breakfast. WIFI Great no problems found.

Suggestions to improve one's stay: better lighting in rooms, more attention is needed for cleaner washrooms and showers.

Room Tip: For an extra $2 choose the breakfast option. rooms in the ground floor towards the back are fairly s...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple