“favorite sushi restaurant in San Jose Costa Rica”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Okami Sushi

Okami Sushi
Ranked #169 of 599 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hamilton, Canada
“favorite sushi restaurant in San Jose Costa Rica”
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Wherever I go, I eat sushi. I never mind spending a little more money to get good sushi, since my idea of sushi includes raw fish, not just California rolls, and one wants quality. I've probably tried 8 different restaurants in the San Jose area from small family-owned ones to the larger chains. I'm thrilled that Okami is one of the closest to where I stay in Barrio Escalante because it is also definitely my favorite. For me there are two basics to a sushi restaurant - the fish needs to be cold and the wasabi needs to be HOT! I have gone into Okami at all different times of the day and days of the week and have never had any experience but excellent. Since I think I was a seal in a former life, I'm really into raw fish and so I usually just have the mixed sashimi plate (about $14 but you get 12 quite large pieces of fish with alot of radish, beet and carrot decoration on the plate that is like a side salad - definitely enough for 2) and it comes with a very fresh tasty miso soup. Anything else I've tried has also been, well, perfect. The restaurant is small, intimate and bright, the location is central, the prices are very fair for the large servings, the quality is excellent and the owner, Danilo, and his staff are friendly and helpful. I have no need to go for sushi anywhere else in the city.

• Visited December 2011
3 Thank KChornook

San José
“Best Sushi in town and low prices, Excellent Service"”
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Having been in several Japanese restaurants in San José in Costa Rica I like to say, that this small Okami Sushi restaurant has a very good service and fresh and delicious fish and other dishes. The first time I had the Kampai roll and my friend eat the TeppanYaki which comes with this very delicious desert. Well, the other time I went with my friend there again, I tried one of those combos. I could continue, but best you try it by yourself. The owner is mostly there and cares about his guests. There are very comfortable wooden chairs, which keeps you for hours sitting very comfortable. You forget the time chatting with friends there in a nice atmosphere. No matter if you use two or more spaces, as in some other restaurants. Also it is a place very good to reach, downtown and central in San José.

• Visited September 2011