“Expediciones Tropicales - Isla Tortuga”

Expediciones Tropicales Day Tours
Ranked #18 of 102 Tours in San Jose
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We booked our trip at the Expediciones Tropicales office in Barrio Amon. The staff were very helpful and even gave us a small group discount. We stayed at a hotel in Sabana Sud so we had to go about 1 Km in the morning for the bus pickup. No big deal. However we were the first of many pickups and we were 1.5 hours before we had everyone on the bus. The tour provided a small breakfast snack but for some reason we parked the entire time while we ate. So it was a long time before we ever got to the boat in Puntarenas
The boat trip was pleasant; the staff provided entertainment, fruit, and non-alcoholic drinks. The entertainment was catered primarily to the Latino customers which was OK with me.
The island is quite pristine and the swimming off shore is good. Bathroom facilities are quite basic.
We did not opt for the extra cost snorkeling as I figured I would just do this off the beach. But the surf was strong which silted up the water making the visibility less than a foot. We quit before we landed on sea urchins or rocks.
The lunch served was tasty and plentiful. The choice of drinks was very limited however. One glass of white wine was however provided.
The ride back was very nice under the setting sun. Prior to docking however, we all had to go into the main cabin. Painfully loud music and no place to sit made this a bad end to an otherwise OK day.
On the way back we had the endless drop-offs again so that when we got back into town, it was very late. I was surprised that they dropped some people, including women travelling by themselves, off on the street rather than going to their hotels.
All in all, I would not do this trip again. The bus pickups/drop-offs make it into a punishing long and tedious day. Tortuga is worth a visit but I will arrange to do it during a stopover in Puntarenas next time.

3  Thank Diverdan28
"breakfast and lunch"
in 9 reviews
"various hotels"
in 4 reviews
"the coffee making process"
"isla tortuga"
"full day tour"
"buy stuff"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 11 December 2013

If you select this company for a tour in San Jose Costa Rica, do reconsider. We were booked through the hotel for an excursion to the Poas volcano and a coffee tour. The beginning was already a big downer as we were the first on the bus and it took at least a full hour to collect the other participants. As we did this tour on a Saturday the guide told us we were lucky as it can easily become double that time during work days. The bus or rather the minivan, was small, old with an anemic engine that struggled some much uphill that we wondered if we would even make it. As it was a full house with this tour, the sitting comfort approached that of a church bench and the size of the seats might have been good for dwarfs. Overall very uncomfortable. The driver was an inherent risk as he frequently took calls on his mobile phone while driving and at one point nearly missed an approaching vehicle while discussing the football scores with I guess a friend. Lastly the tour company forgot to mention beforehand that it might be a good plan to bring a sweater or a jacket for this tour. Yes, Coats Rica is a tropical country but at 7000 feet in the mist and a strong wind, it gets bloody cold and involuntarily we had to by some great souvenir sweaters at the gift shop. A memento to what could easily be one of the worst excursions we ever took.

1  Thank vinker
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Booked a day tour package from Sleep Inn Paseo Las Damas in San Jose Costa Rica. The concierge Jose recommended a day trip with Expediciones Tropicales for the following morning. Since we were two single women traveling alone I felt this would be a good option to get to Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica. We were told to let the tour guide Hernan know first thing in the morning where our hotel would be that evening. I informed him first thing in the morning of this when we boarded the jitney bus. He didn't respond at all and I repeated it again. Later in the day when the entire was over we were dropped off at the wrong hotel. I informed him immediately of this. He said I had mentioned the hotel he was dropping us off at. I asked him to drop us off at the correct hotel. He refused and walked away in the dark with a tour bus full of people and ignored me. The cab ride cost us $35.00 American dollars. It was upsetting and disturbing. Later after a few days we reported the incident to the concierge at the Sleep Inn hotel. He promised to get back to us after he spoke to the owner of the tour agency and took our email addresses. He never responded to either one of us. The whole experience was upsetting and expensive. We had to spend an additional $94.00 American dollars to book a bus back to San Jose Costa Rica to the hotel.

4  Thank nycfly13
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Before and during my trip to Costa Rica I was pleased with the fast and quality services provided by Expediciones Tropicales, particularly by Mr. Paulo De la O, who addressed all my doubts in a patient way and arranged flights, tours, shuttles etc. At some point he even offered me a little discount, instead of many other operators that say the prices cannot be reduced... I recommend this travel agency!

2  Thank HeloisaDallanhol