“Just Average”

Ranked #12 of 84 Hotels in San Jose
Sorocaba, SP
“Just Average”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Pro
1. 71USD for a standard room with a queen bed (1.5m in Width) is the listed price. This is also average price what I paid in Costa Rica. 2. Underground parking lot with guard and gate, 24 hours 3. Breakfast buffet: chinese**(rice with beans, chicken meat with vegetable, scramble eggs), and traditional costa rica breakfast(toast bread, fruit salad, coffee and tea) 4. Out of the city center, but nearly next to the US American Embassy, ca. 15km away from airport (offering free airport transfer*) has a shopping center (supermarket).
*quoted by another traveller
**quoted by the Chinese hotel owner
Con
1. Ventilate in the bathroom is extremely loud 2. Water temperature is not stable 3. No view from the window

Room Tip: Better pay airport tax 29$ in cash in dollar, instead of 14,900c! Otherwise you need to pay "ca...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank lu l

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Costa Rica
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I usually stay at another hotel, Arranuez, which has been booked solid for the past week. Their breakfast is amazing so it's our preferred hotel. I booked Isla Verde without having ever been here before. The staff were very friendly. The bed was comfortable and the room clean. The breakfast was not enjoyable since there was a lack quality food. They served a typical western continental breakfast but a hot dog, frozen pepper and onion stir fry that really had no place in a person's body. I think more effort could be made into making the breakfast an incredible experience instead of just a bad one. I also spent about 20 minutes trying to open gmail on their only public computer. It is a 20 year old Samsum desktop and a complete waste of space at that. I think upgrading the computer immediately is in order when your current set up can't even load gmail.com I will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Jesse D
LucyShum, Propietario at Isla Verde Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Mr. Jesse D.,

Thank your for your comments on Trip Advisor!

All our double beds in our Deluxe type rooms are queen size beds with Simmons mattress, measuring 60"x80". Maybe you´re confused with a king size bed which measures 76"x80". It would be fraudulent for us to offer something we don´t.

We appreciate your comments on our buffet breakfast. In fact, we´ve improved it by adding more variety of breads and assorted home made pastries, another type of fruit juice besides orange juice, assorted fresh vegetables, and of course we can´t miss our typical gallo pinto, eggs, and 1 type of meat. Your comment also inspired us to make a better display of our buffet and make it more attractive. As to what your refer to "frozen hot dogs", it seems normal to have sausage for breakfast, however we took in consideration your comment about it.

We regret your experience with our free public computer we have for guest use. It has a few years but still works fine. What needed was a update on the browser from Firefox to Google Chrome and now flyes like a bullet. We value your comment on it as we would probably would have not known otherwise.

Although you´ve expressed you will not come back again we hope someday you will and experience the changes for yourself.

We thank you again for your comments and feedback as it makes us work better and harder for our guests.

Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We arrived at Isla Verde on a Sunday. I asked Natalia at the front desk if she knew if the gold museum was open on Sundays. She said she would check to find out and let us know. A few minutes later while we were eating lunch, she stopped by the table to let us know that the gold museum was not open, but she had found three other activities that were open on Sundays. She truly went above and beyond our expectations!

We were able to walk to central San Jose from the hotel and it was a safe and pleasant walk.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

2 Thank Adam L
Dear Adam L,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor!

We´re pleased to know that you´ve enjoyed your stay with us and that you found Natalia´s assistance very helpful. Our goal is to make our guests feel like home and assist them in our best way possible.

Thank for your preference in us and we look forward to have you again when in San Jose.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We stayed here one night after arriving late into San Jose and before taking a bus to the coast the next day. I didn't see anything of the neighborhood, so I can't comment. The staff was great. They got me checked in quickly, had food brought up to my room, and arranged a "take out" breakfast since I would be leaving before the usual breakfast time. They also had a prompt wake up call, and had my taxi waiting right on time. The room was comfortable and clean. The air conditioner was powerful and actually got my room too cold!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

1 Thank Christina F
Dear Cristina F,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor!

We are pleased to know you´ve enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff assisted you at their best.

Thank you for choosing us and we look forward to have you again when in San Jose!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed one night prior to catching an early flight out of the nearby airport. The staff were so welcoming - they upgraded us to a deluxe room, made sure that a taxi was waiting for us at 5am (and the hotel provides transport to the local airport for free) and sent us on our way with a bag of snacks. I'd definitely recommend staying here!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

4 Thank jwm206
LucyShum, Propietario at Isla Verde Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear JWM206,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor!

We are pleased to know you enjoyed your short night in our Deluxe room, free transfer to the Tobias Bolanos Airport, and snacks to go since you were leaving very early.

We look forward to have you again in your next visit to San Jose!

Jaco, Costa Rica
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I've stayed in hundreds of hotels over the years. You know when you're some place special because you just get that feeling. I don't get that here. I booked this hotel for two nights so I could explore San Jose before heading back to the states. Unless your purpose is the Embassy,this hotel isn't close to anything. Sure, there is a McDonalds and Quizno's across the street but that is about the only places within walking distance.

Now about the hotel. I looked at Trip Advisor and followed the recommendations and booked a Deluxe room. Modern room, comfortable and bathroom is nice. What most of us expect from any hotel. Paid about $100 a night to stay. I did see one review that stated the AC wasn't great. Well I think more attention should be paid on that issue. You seriously have to lay in bed and not move for about 30 minutes before you can be comfortable. The air condition, no matter how cool you set it, doesn't cut it. Like all of us, when I book a hotel room and pay $100 a night, I should be able to make it snow in the room if I want too….but not here. I would not return to this place just for this reason. Breakfast is included which is a typical Tico fare of scrambled eggs and dirty rice with some fruit. The restaurant is Chinese and I ate there both nights. Again I can only say that it was ok. Had a stir fry the first night that was ok but the chicken wasn't fried enough and was kind of soggy. Second night was a little better. The staff was great and I had no issues there. Small parking garage for about 6 cars. We had to hunt down the security guard twice to open the gate to let us out, he seemed to like to chat up the ladies at the front desk.

Over all, I wasn't impressed. I wasn't dissatisfied either. I think there are better options out there but if you have business at the Stadium or Embassy this would be the lace to stay (if you don't need a cool room at night).

Room Tip: Don't know what to tell you. I stayed in Delux room which was nice but the AC is poor
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
lucia S, Propietario at Isla Verde Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear WBAILEY6,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate your sincerity, however I´d like to point out the following:

Your room was $100 per night for 3 adults. That included 13% sales tax, breakfast, free wireless internet throughout our facilities, free underground parking, and gym.

We are checking the A/C unit of that room for maintenance as it is not cooling as it should, we apologize for that. Should we knew that, we would´ve been happy to change you to another room immediately. Please understand that equipment fail from time to time, so please don´t punish us for that.

As for the breakfast, it is included in the rate, and we serve a full breakfast, which consist of coffee, tea, juice, assorted fruit, toast, 2 flavors of jam, 1 type of sweet bread, local white cheese, scrambled eggs, 1 type of meat, and gallo pinto -which is a rice and beans dish typical of Costa Rica, and what you refer as dirty rice-. I apologize if you think it didn´t meet your expectations. We are open for suggestions.

We´ll pay attention to our security guard that opens the underground parking, which by the way is free.

We´re sorry you didn´t find anything else but a McDonald´s or Quiznos. Walking a few blocks further you´ll find 2 mexican, 1 libanese, 3 or 4 Italian, 2 Korean/japanese restaurants, and about 5 neighborhood bars, 2 shopping centers, banks, supermarkets, well you catch my drift. Again, we would have been happy to assist and give directions.

We hope you´ve enjoyed your overall trip to Costa Rica. Please email me directly at islaver@racsa.co.cr for your next visit to San Jose, as we would like to extend you a courtesy.

Scottdale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 November 2013

This hotel is near the USA embassy but not a great active neighborhood. Room was modern but the air conditioning did not cool the room. Bathrooms are very nice and the rooms are quiet. Security is good and parking in a locked garage is included.

Room Tip: Make sure your room will be cool enough.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

lucia S, Propietario at Isla Verde Hotel, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear C0ach2013,

Thank your for your comments on Trip Advisor!

We are pleased to know your liked our rooms and facilities. Concerning the air conditioning, we have not had any complaints about it, however we´ll have it checked with our maintenance.

The neighborhood we´re located is very convenient, besides being close the US Embassy, is a very commercial and industrial area, we are about 4miles to San Jose downtown, 8 miles from the SJO international airport, and within an area of 5 miles you can get around pretty much to most important city sites of San Jose.

We hope you´ve enjoyed your overall trip to Costa Rica and hope to have you again with us in the future!