“Sometimes the host makes the restaurant”

Restaurant La Bastille
Ranked #29 of 686 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: French, Swiss
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I have often wondered why people go to a restaurant that lacks a heart. Yet that goes for most of them. Surely there should be something that attracts and warms the spirit. I always look for restaurants with some musical entertainment. And by that I do not mean a squealing noise that one is forced to put up with in American Stores and Supermarkets. I mean music. Of course music or any other entertainment does not make up for bad food and bad service.

In the case of la Bastille it is the host who provides the heart and sole of the restaurant. He is charming and courteous and spent more time than I would have expected in talking with us and making sure we were happy with the food. He is from Zurich, a city I know well, and has lived and worked in many countries. In fact his first job as a chef was in Golders Green, London, practically across the street from where I was born.

It is surprising that Tommy can spend so much quality time with his guests when you know that he is also the chef. His food was excellent, his company enjoyable and he had quiet jazz playing in the background. A truly enjoyable experience for our 18th anniversary.

1  Thank drushton

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Very down to the earth and unique like in our commercial world you barelely find anymore. Well select ingredients and Thomy make it "währschaft schmackhaft und einfach lecker" try the "Kalbsläberli with Röschti"!!!!

1  Thank Leubito
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Would have loved to try this place out based on the positive remarks on Tripadvisor, however, we arrived too early. On a Thursday this place was closed until 7pm for supper which was just not going to work for us at the beginning of our trip after spending all day flying. We had to go elsewhere that was open.

1  Thank 294LUV2TRAVEL
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We went here for my son´s birthday with a family group of 7 because the original chosen restaurant for the occasion was full. Service was very slow since one single waiter makes the drinks and beverages and serves all tables, at least that day. The place use to be a very fine restaurant but it is now kind of run down, it could really use cleanup and redecorating. The menu continues to be approximately the same as before and the food is good but compared to other restaurants much too expensive for the place and the service. It is more like if you went to eat to the chef´s house as he oscillates between the kitchen and playing backgammon with some clients. Good music although computer as a source placed in the middle of the restaurant, uncool. I would not repeat my experience. Lots of other options out there.

1  Thank aperezada59
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Like most of San Jose you can pass an incredible spot so many times without noticing... But this is by far one of the most intimate but excellent restaurants in all of Costa Rica... A must if your in San Jose!