“Good tico food”

Ranked #35 of 599 Restaurants in San Jose
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Central American, Costa Rican, Latin
Good for: Groups, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Diego, California
“Good tico food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

We visited this restaurant with our friends, one of whom is Costa Rican. He loved the place. Perhaps I was rico food out by then (the last night of our trip), but I found the food to be average (I had the equivalent of shrimp scampi). My husband had a fish and shrimp dish that he truly enjoyed, so perhaps it truly is a matter of taste.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Valerie O

Berlin, Germany
“Great simple, authentic local food and experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

I loved this place. Although I am a gourmet cook and I enjoy eating fine meals, I usually try to just seek out the best local places when I travel. This was a 10 out of 10 for me. This is not a tourist restaurant, its customers are mainly the lunch crowd from neighboring office buildings. The service is very friendly (no English speakers), the restaurant is clean, the offerings are generous, it is real Tico dining with locals, and the prices are very reasonable. Completely my cup of tea. On my next trip I will likely have lunch here every day. Just great, simple dishes and flavors without any hype or pretentiousness. Highly recommended for anyone who wants just a good local experience. P.S. The tenderloin really wasn't, but it was counterbalanced by the authenticity of the restaurant.

• Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great Tico food, and value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

Nothing flash at La Criollita, just flavoursome and well cooked Tico food. The restaurant is about 3 blocks from Hotel Santo Tomas, and is a better alternative to the hotel's own restaurant. We only ordered main courses, but were presented with a free chicken soup each as a starter, which was a welcome surprise. The main courses were broadly a selection of meats with rice and beans. Would recommend as a cheap eat if you're in that part of town (note that there were prostitutes on the street corners around the restaurant in the evenings, but we had no hassles).

• Visited August 2013
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Good Food, Good Quantity, Fair Price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

Food was good. Flavorful, with generous portions. And, for a price that is definitely fair, especially given what we experienced over the rest of our trip. It was very easy walking distance from our hotel (Hotel Santo Tomas). The espresso at the end of the meal was great, especially when paired with the house-made tres leche dessert. YUM! Our waitress was great too--my daughter asked for an Apple Soda, but they didn't have it available. 5 minutes later, she arrives to the table, sweet goodness in hand. She'd had one of the staff run out to a nearby tienda to buy one for us! How great is that?!!

Visited July 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

La Criollita has great tasty authenic Costa Rican food. They give you large portions and the breakfast is cheap. We visited Costa Rica for a week and ate at this place 5 times!!

Visited July 2013