“Local cuisine for locals.”
Review of La Criollita

La Criollita
Ranked #31 of 630 Restaurants in San Jose
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Costa Rican
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
london
“Local cuisine for locals.”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Was recommended by our bell boy at the Holiday Inn. Definitely worth a visit. Was given some complimentary soup. Good servings. Good value for money.

Visited August 2013

San Jose, California
“Typical Costa Rican business person's meals!”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Went there by red taxi because of the ?? neighborhood for dinner around 8:00 pm which closes at 9:00 sharp! The place was empty but we were greeted by same older tica waitress who remembered us from last visit 6/2013! We let her recommend the fresh fish & beef steak with mushroom dinners & they were tastier & cheaper than our 4 star hotel! I was told that lunch time was packed with Costa Rican businesmen for daily "casado lunch special"?

Visited February 2014
Missoula, Montana
“Nice find”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This restaurant was recommended to us by our hotel, since the hotel's restaurant was closed that night. The food was delicious, the service excellent and the house wine terrific.

Visited January 2014
San Diego, California
“Good tico food”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We visited this restaurant with our friends, one of whom is Costa Rican. He loved the place. Perhaps I was rico food out by then (the last night of our trip), but I found the food to be average (I had the equivalent of shrimp scampi). My husband had a fish and shrimp dish that he truly enjoyed, so perhaps it truly is a matter of taste.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Valerie O
Berlin, Germany
“Great simple, authentic local food and experience”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I loved this place. Although I am a gourmet cook and I enjoy eating fine meals, I usually try to just seek out the best local places when I travel. This was a 10 out of 10 for me. This is not a tourist restaurant, its customers are mainly the lunch crowd from neighboring office buildings. The service is very friendly (no English speakers), the restaurant is clean, the offerings are generous, it is real Tico dining with locals, and the prices are very reasonable. Completely my cup of tea. On my next trip I will likely have lunch here every day. Just great, simple dishes and flavors without any hype or pretentiousness. Highly recommended for anyone who wants just a good local experience. P.S. The tenderloin really wasn't, but it was counterbalanced by the authenticity of the restaurant.

• Visited October 2013