“Great Costa Rica visit and stay”

Best Western Irazu Hotel & Casino
Ranked #15 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I chose this hotel with advice from our tour guide Mike Valldejuli from Paradise tours. I will talk about Mike's service following the hotel review. We were planning on staying at Tryp Hotel, but had second thoughts since there was no pool or hot tub. To me those are two thing you need access to when on vacation. When I mentioned to Mike in the numerous emails we sent back in forth about what I was looking for he suggested the Best Western. We were very happy with our stay at the Best Western Irazu. The one thing I noticed consistent was the friendlnesss of all of the employees. Everyone was very accomodating and put every effort into making sure your request was taken care of. There were several extras such as a free breakfast each morning at Denny's we didn't have access to the entire menu but the breakfast that was offered was sufficient. Not only do you have a coffee pot and coffee in your room but they also offer fresh brew coffee in the Internet room all day and night. They also had a daily happy hour with complimentary beverages in the Cantina. The bellman, front desk staff and housekeeping staff were all very nice and had a pleasant smile whenever you were greeted. There was also a laundry mat in the hotel with very reasonable prices to do laundry. I had s massage and it was one of the best I've ever had. It was with hot stones and the therapist was great. When I left the massage all my aches and pains were practically gone. The rooms are kind of small, but sufficient. Each room has a balcony that you can sit on if you choose. The pool was very nice and the hot tub comfortable. All and all I recommend the Best Western Irazu highly. The rooms, lobby and all common areas are kept very clean. Also the fact they offer free shuttle service to the airport is an added plus. If we ever come back to Costa Rica I would stay here again.
This brings my second point. There's not a lot to do in San Jose so I had researched a tour company on line to set up some tours and ran across Paradise tours. It's a small company, however the operator/owner gives you so much personal attention it is worth going with a smaller company. Before our trips I worked with him to set up tours for my husband and I. We had to pay more for the private tours but it was well worth the extra money. Mike was so helpful in telling us what to do and interpreting for us. Neither of us spoke Spanish so he was a great asset. He even csame with me when I was shopping and mad sure I got all the right prices. He was very persistant and encouraged us when we wanted to skip somethings, but if he felt strong enough that we needed to see it he would insist that we go. It was also nice being on the private tour because he could customize based on what we needed. He also had beverages and snacks for us on all the tours and provided lunch. I highly recommend Mike if you are looking for someone to take you around Costa Rica. He has a website paradisetours.com that tell off all of his tours. Also I highly advise if it's your first time in Costa Rica it is better to have a driver because the drivers in Costa Rica are very aggressive drives.
Overall I was very happy with my whole Costa Rica experience!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joyce822
Ivannia Z, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Best Western Irazu Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2012

Thank you very much for your comment.

It is wonderful to know that you and your husband had such a good experience in Costa Rica and specially in our hotel.

It is always our pleasure to serve you the way you deserve, and try to cause you to have an unforgettable stay, and we will be more than happy to receive you back here in your next visit to Costa Rica.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Our flight was cancelled and Air Canada sent us to this hotel for the night. The front desk staff was pleasant and accommodating. The rooms overlooking the pool were quiet and nicely appointed. Albeit request a room that does not connect to another as the doors are not sound proof!!! Definitely a great place to overnight within a moderate taxi ride to the airport.
Plus the hotel allows free call to Canada and the US!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for your comment.

It is good to know that you liked our hotel, and that our amenities were useful for you. We would also like to tell you that our rate includes free calls, not only to Canada or U.S.A., but anywhere in the world, without time limit; and the shuttle from and to the airport is also included and available from 4:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.

We will be more than happy to have you back here during your next visit to Costa Rica.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I chose this hotel because I had a late arrival. I didn't want to have to hassle with taxis. However when I arrived, I discovered that the shuttle stopped running at 8:40 at night. This was not on their web site. Taxi ran $22. Although there was an extremely loud disco playing when we arrived, it did not affect our sleep. Even though we were on the 1st floor, quite near the disco, once we were in our room, we could not hear it. Free b'fast the next day was nice as were the multiple computers (5) with internet access. Didn't use the free international calls but that's also a nice addition. The pool looked inviting but I didn't use it. I understand there's a free happy hour but we were too late to enjoy that. Overall an ok experience. However be sure you will arrive before the shuttle ends if you're counting on it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank retired43
Ivannia Z, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Best Western Irazu Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Thank you very much for your comment.

Our free shuttle is available from 4:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., we apologize if you had trouble with this during your visit, next time you can call us from the airport and we will make sure that the shuttle gets there.

We are glad to know that despite this inconvenient, you had a good stay and liked our amenities.

We hope to have you back here and we promise no trouble with the shuttle again.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

This property is wonderful to start your trip from. It has free international calls, free happy hour and a Dennys next door for free breakfast as well. Cassino doesnt hurt either. Guy next to me won 1200 U.S. in a short while.Must book online to get the cheap rates. Hardwire computer room with 5 terminals. Clean room, pool and hot tub. Full gym to work out the kinks. 6-10 dollar cab ride to town square depending on cabbie. Airport shuttle is free and on time. Best place to be as far as we are concerned.

Room Tip: Wow value all around. Main floor had more traffic though
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tubtent6

Thank you very much for your comment.

We are delighted to know that you had a good time with us, and it will be our pleasure to receive you back here next time you visit our country.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

Nice hotel away from the congestion of downtown. Enjoyed happy hour, and the shuttle service was great.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Ne S
Ivannia Z, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Best Western Irazu Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Thank you very much for your comment.

It is great to know that you enjoy your stay with us, we will be happily waiting for your next visit.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

I stayed 2 days there, the room was good, was very clean. The pool was great, surrounded by the hotel. It has also a complete gym in the ground floor. Also the restaurant of the hotel is a Denny's, so the food is very good and tasty. One of the best hotels I have stayed.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your comment.

We are glad to know that our hotel was to your liking and that you enjoyed all our amenities and facilities.

It will be our pleasure to serve you next time.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

It was a wonderful stay at this hotel just outside the city and nearer the airport. Free beers happy hour daily from 5-6 pm, nice rooms, best hotel pool I've ever expereinced, nice staff, free internet, safety deposit boxes and luggage storage, free breakfast at the Denny's next door.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear user:

Thank you very much for your comment. It is good to know that our amenities, location and service have met your expectations.

We will be waiting for you next time to continue serving you the way you deserve.