Hotel Fleur de Lys
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Colonial(San Jose)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Dona Ines(San Jose)
Balmoral Hotel(San Jose)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsnational museumcosta ricarecommend this hoteltrain noiseold victorianbuffet styleno elevatornice hotelbars and restaurantswalking distancebring earplugshotel is locatedlight sleeperrooms are cleanbreakfast was includedhot watercommon areas
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 August 2012

The hotel is located in a very nice colonial house near the National Museum (a great location to visit San José). The common places at the hotel are very nicely decorated and the rooms are decent with a nice bathroom. There is a computer room which we found very convenient. However I found the price per night to high for the service received.

We had a bad experience at this hotel. When we arrived, there was a lady at the front desk who would claim we didn't have a reservation with them. After 5 minutes, she found the booking email, without apologizing or welcoming us she just asked us to pay for the full stay which we believed it wasn't welcoming or professional. Once we paid, her attitude and gestures changed to someone very kind... sorry, but I don't think this is the way you treat customers.

The following day we went again to the front desk to discover that we couldn't stay another night as the hotel was full.The previous day the preson at reception had told us the contrary. In conclusion, we had to find another hotel without having even a 'sorry' from any member of staff.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel not only for the service, but also because the hotel is just next to a train rail, which means that you WAKE UP every day at 6 IN THE MORNING due to the different trains going by.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2012

The hotel desk staff and bartender were very helpful, friendly, and courteous. The rooms are just fine for overnight stays .. not too big, but you already know you're not getting a suite ! They are just fine for overnight accommodations. The rooms share an open courtyard area, so the sound does travel, but just be aware of that ! There is complimentary water and coffee/tea. The front desk will help you with your needs and even help you get to where you're going outside of the hotel. I was a group leader with college students who were looking for a place to go at night that was safe... instead of just telling them where to go, the hotel staff actually went out and walked them to their destination ! THAT was service above and beyond. So very thankful for that. The only reason I did not apply 5 stars is because one member of our group had a room that contained a foul odor... but again, courteous staff changed his room immediately and all was well. The staff will make you feel safe and appreciated in this hotel. Very much recommended.

Room Tip: The rooms have no "numbers". Instead they are named after flowers, so be sure to pay attention to your room name !
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2012

The hotel has a special atmosphere as the hallways are mainly made by wood. We were with a quite large group of girls and slept in rooms of 2 persons. The room was tidy but had some smell. The bathroom was not luxurious and was small. The people were friendly and I found the breakfast really good. A wide variety and nice fresh fruits, but also cakes, plantins, toast and some sandwich filling. The terrace at the entrance was cute and cosy. Also very quit at night.

We did not use a swimming pool nor a fitness center.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Booked this hotel on hotels.com based on reviews on Tripadvisor and stayed 2 nights at the beginning of our journey on June 12th-14th. While this was a decent hotel. It definitely WASNT worth what it cost me per night. I paid $75 a night. This was the most expensive hotel I had my whole trip through Central America. For example, I had a better hotel room only 50 feet from the beach in Nicaragua for $25 a night, and I had a room where my balcony overlooked the ocean in El Salvador for $40 a night, and both those rooms included ice cold air conditioning. The Fleur de Lys had NO AC in my room. Luckily it wasnt too terribly hot at night, but the room we had was directly above the restaurant, so if you plan on wanting to sleep past 7AM, good luck with that. You hear EVERYTHING. All the pots and pans banging from making breakfast, to the guests talking while eating. We had a 2 double bed room on the second floor. It came with a tiny TV, I havent seen a TV this small since I was a little kid. There are a couple of positive things that I can say. It is in great walking distance to the main part of the town which has a lot of shopping, restaurants, and casinos. And the free breakfast in the morning was quite decent. It included eggs, beans, rice, fresh fruit, toast, cereal, juice. All in all it was a good hotel, but I paid a fraction of the cost for similar hotel rooms in other countries with better views. And even in Costa Rica itself when I went to Tamarindo. We had a room that had 4 beds, cold AC, and was HUGE and only a block from the beach and it was half the cost of this room. My advice to anyone traveling to Central America. Stay away from San Jose. There are much better places to visit that you will get more bang for your buck and have a better time. My fav was Nicaragua.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank filmmakr
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I stayed there the first and last nights of my 12 day trip in Costa Rica. The location is great in downtown San Jose, you are within walking distance of the main things to see in the capital. The hotel is cute with a very nice colonial atmosphere and safe to walk around during the day. Staff is super friendly and make you feel welcome. The charming Tica at the desk and the Manager Walter are very helpful, and the security guy at the door is a wonderful guy. Rooms and bathrooms are clean. Breakfast is very good, perfect to give you a first taste of Costa Rica. I would recommend this hotel if you want to avoid the unpersonal big name hotels located right outside San Jose. It is a good pick for one night in San Jose if your flight arrive late or if you want to enjoy a last day in a costarican atmosphere before heading home. Just one last tip, if you have to use the taxi (linked to the hotel) to get to the airport make sure you agree on the fare with the driver before you leave!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Christophe L
Consuhotel, Director Comercial at Hotel Fleur de Lys, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2012

Dear guest

Thank you for giving us this good coment. We are pleased to see that you appreciated our small, old Costa Rica Hotel situated in the middle of the busy main town „San José“.
We would be pleased to welcome you again some other time.

The director and hotel staff