“Could do better”
Review of Hotel Fleur de Lys

Hotel Fleur de Lys
Ranked #26 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We stayed one night in this hotel at both the beginning and end of our trip to Costa Rica. We arrived fairly late at approximately 10.30 pm, tired and jaded from our long journey. We were shown to our room down a long, dark and barely lit corridor to a room thoroughly uninspiring. The security guard who had carried my bag seemed determined to stay until he was tipped. Our room was dark, dreary with a horrible metal bed frame which I managed to badly bruise both my thighs on - the bruises looked great with my swimsuit! My husband asked about bottled water but was told none was available. No mention was made that filtered water was available. The overhead fan groaned through the night until I finally gave up and turned it off. The room was no better in daylight with its hideous paint colours. Our return visit was little better even though we were given a different room. The wardrobe smelled horribly of damp and the spare pillow was wet and speckled with mildew. On the plus side ... it looks great from the outside and the breakfast was good and included friendly and helpful service. The bar too had a welcoming atmosphere and appeared to be used by locals.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sheilabethsheba
There are newer reviews for Hotel Fleur de Lys

Reviewed 8 October 2012

I liked everything in this central hotel in San Jose. Its personnel is very welcoming and all services are present for your confort. I spent a very happy moment in Fleur de Lys Hotel.

Last but not least, breakfast is simply delicious with fried plantin bananas and a buch of fresh cakes and juices.

Best choice in town !!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We stayed in the Fleur de Lys several times for several days during our journey through Central America. It is one of the best hotels I stayed on my trip and is always the first choice for me in San Jose. Arriving at the Fleur de Lys feels like coming home.

The hotel is very pretty, atmosphere is great and relaxed, the staff and the manager are very kind and helpful and solved all my queries very quickly!

The rooms incl. bathrooms with different names and styles which make them very individual have a good size and are always clean! The food of the restaurant is amazing with a delicious choice we did not get on my whole trip.

The location of the hotel could not be better. It is based directly in the centre nearby many sightseeing points like the national theatre, loads of shopping possibilities and excellent restaurants and nice bars.

The Wi-Fi connection is very fast and available in all the rooms.

We are already looking forward to our next stay in the Fleur de Lys!

Room Tip: All the rooms we stayed were very good!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DownSouth2012
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We started our Costa Rica travel with a few nights in San Jose. We selected the hotel based on other reviews.
We were a bit disappointed at the end. The staff was in general kind, though service quality changed from person to person. Breakfast was supposed to be from 6 to 10, however when we came at 9, half the buffet was empty.
The building itself looks very lovely, though the rooms would profit from a remake.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Stayed at this hotel while traveling with a high school EF Tour. It was on of the nicest of the trip. Clean, beds were comfortable, had ceiling fans, decent sized bathroom & hair dryer, TV, WIFi & an internal patio. However, when opening that door you could hear what was going on in the floors above you. Our stay was pretty brief - less than 8 hours. Staff were nice. Food was average

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 September 2012

It looks pretty from the outside and is very central, the staff were friendly and helpful but on both occasions I stayed the room was disappointing. The first room was dirty and smelt of toilet. It was also noisy. When I returned I was given a room where the window opened into the corridor/restaurant. It was musty and stuffy. The decor and fittings were tired and neglected. If being central is important then this place has character, if you notice the little things and like a bit of luxury then you can get a lot more for the same money elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2012

On my world trip since two years I have to say it's the nicest place I ever stayed. The staff and the manager are so friendly and helpful. Very creative and proper rooms with individual given names. They know exactly what a (world) traveller needs to have a comfort time. I also liked the well internet connection in my room:). In the lobby you can also find a very good and informative Tour Desk that can organize individual trips.

Room Tip: I saw the suite with the jacuzzi what was brilliant but to much for my budget I stayed in a lovely...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo