“Charming”

Ranked #28 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Charming”
Reviewed 18 September 2008

I stayed at the Fleur de Lys on a Friday night after staying in Playa Hermosa, Jaco area. I chose this hotel because of the price and location. It's within walking distance to all the best attractions of San Jose. I loved being in the city because I could walk to Avenida Central, the museums and restaurants. Friday night I went down to the hotel bar where there was live entertainment. I really enjoyed the music and the drinks were great and cheap.
The hotel offers free breakfast, internet access, and self serve coffee drinks all day. The staff is attentive and helpful. Most front of the house staff speak English. If ever in San Jose I will stay here again.

• Liked — My room had a terrace with a view of downtown San Jose
  • Disliked — no AC
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank amotzdot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Turkish first
Denver, CO
Reviewed 18 August 2008

This was our second visit to the Hotel Fleur deLys. It is in a perfect location, close to everything and we walked everywhere around town. Rooms are nice and clean. Restaurant is very, very good. When our exiting flight was very early, they voluntarily packed lunches for us to take to the airport with us.
There is only one drawback to the HOtel Fleur de Lys and that is its proximity to the railroad tracks. Every morning around 5 you will hear the train roaring through. We usually just went back to sleep but some guests checked out because of the noise. We decided the location and the ambiance in the hotel made up for the noise and stayed there the second time anyway.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — train noise
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
NYC, NY
Reviewed 28 April 2008

We just came back from a 10-day vacation in Costa Rica and stayed at the Fleur de Lys for 2 days. Hotel itself is very basic, but the staff was superb. Very friendly and extremely helpful. For the price we paid, thought the hotel was excellent. It's not a luxury hotel by any means, but we were happy. If we go back to Costa Rica again though, we probably wouldn't even stay in San Jose. Not much to see really. Much better to spend your time in other parts of Costa Rica.

• Stayed April 2008
1 Thank alice
wellington,Floria
Reviewed 27 April 2008

I booked this hotel for my son's honeymoon 1 year ago, with confirmations from Mr. Espinosa for the jacuzzi suite. My son and new wife arrived, only to find out that they did not have their reservation, and sent them to another hotel. On top of that, they charged them to make phone calls to us in the United States. How can a hotel be so careless? My son is booked there for 2 more nights, they had those reservations, but not their arrival. Calling Costa Rica is not easy, especially on a Sunday. I am disappointed in this hotel for their carelessness in making a honeymoon experience miserable

• Disliked — they lost my reservation and charged me to make phone calls
Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nursepower10
Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed 24 April 2008

I am currently at this hotel writing the review.

Positives:
- They have wireless and I was able to convince them to give me the key for free. If you don't have a laptop, you can use their computers for free for 15 minutes. After that, it's about $2 / hr.
- The hotel itself is very cute. Nicely decorated inside and a cute patio out front.

Negatives:
- We booked online and received a receipt for two people for $84 (including tax). When we got there, they charged us $104. The next morning, when I realized the discrepancy, I talked to the front desk. They would not accommodate us AT ALL, even after showing them the emailed receipt confirming $84 (which they had as well).
- The location could be better -- we felt a little worried on the cab ride over. You probably wouldn't want to walk around after dark.
- The beds were very firm and uncomfortable. My partner did not get a good night's sleep.
- The room as a whole could've been better.
- The staff wasn't very helpful - they forced us to check out early, despite the sign hanging in the lobby indicating there was a 12:00 checkout time.
- The breakfast "buffet" consisted of toast, cereal, and fruit. If you wanted something hot, you had the option for one egg with rice & beans.

Mainly, the reason we wouldn't come back, is that we couldn't help but feel we were being taken advantage of because we were tourists (ie. higher prices and earlier checkout).

• Stayed April 2008
Ipswich, England
Reviewed 1 April 2008

Stayed here on three occasions, during a recent tour of Costa Rica. Resteraunt, bar and staff are good, but we stayed in thrree of the rooms and they were not good, especially if you require twin beds. Most rooms have doubles, some very small doubles. Not many have windows and those that do have a view of about 3 feet. We were in a lrage party and they confirmed our opinion of the rooms.

Stayed February 2008
London
Reviewed 15 February 2008

We stayed here either end of our time in Costa Rica. We were never really going to have time to explore and just needed a place that was clean, comfortable and central - Fleur de Lys met all the criteria.

Our first room was a bit dark and dingy, though when we returned for our last night we had a bigger, brighter room - if you can ask to get the better rooms you'll enjoy your stay more. The shower in the first room was also little more than a dribble, again not a problem with the second room.

Staff were friendly, though we had little dealings with them beyond check in. Breakfasts were OK, though certainly nothing special.

Overall, I wouldn't choose to spend a lot of time here, but if you've got to spend some time in San Jose then I'm sure you could do a lot worse.

Also, the traffic in San Jose is surprisingly bad - if you are coming in or leaving for the airport around rush hour (and haven't any time to look around the town - where there's not much to see anyway!), you'd be just as well to stay out of the centre. Our journey there took an hour leaving at 9.30am.

• Liked — The central location
  • Disliked — the small, dark room
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple