“Hemingway”
Review of Hemingway Inn

Hemingway Inn
Ranked #35 of 68 San Jose B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 March 2012

The place to be in San Jose, Hemingway himself is right there, just perfect.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LeeJackson--1970

Reviewed 5 March 2012

It is rumored that Ernest Hemingway, spent the night on several occasions at the Hemingway. The guests to this day are just as interesting as they were when the coffee magnet built the mansion. I arrived in the middle of the night exhausted from my flight. The friendly staff was more concerned with getting me to my room than doing paperwork. The next day I was given my choice of rooms where I spent a week. The staff made sure my stay was comfortable and at times went out of their way to help me. The hotel is walking distance to parks, shopping, museums, theater and bus stops. My room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was great every morning. I salute Calvin, Ellis and all the staff for creating this unique environment. MC, a solo woman

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Marie C
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Just got back from my stay. I was here 3 nights, and stayed in two different rooms. The first night I stayed by myself in a 42.00 room. It was small, and the bed was hard. I got into town late, and just needed it to hold me over until I could catch my bus out to Montezuma the next morning.

Calvin directed me exactly how to catch the bus, and the next morning the staff called me a cab and she told the driver exactly where to take me.

After my stay in Montezuma- where I met my brother. We decided to go back to San Jose to catch a whitewater rafting trip before we left. We booked a double room with two seperate beds for $60.00. It was a lot nicer than the first, but still small for American standards. But it had everything we needed. Also the staff was very helpful, and booked Whitewater Rafting trip for us, then gave us to tips on some good places to go while we were in town.

They have a guitar in the Lobby, and my brother was playing the guitar- it was alot of fun. We had some great conversations in the little common area with Ellis, and two ladies from New York who were artists.

If you want a unique experience stay here, if you want a typical "american" experience stay in one of the American Hotel chains. This is a different culture, and in order to really experience it you have to take the good with the bad. There were some things I really like about their culture, and some I really don't, and you probably will see or hear things that you are not used to, but to me that is the fun of travelling!

My advice is to anyone who wants to venture out of the hotel is to find Calvin or Ellis, and tell them EXACTLY what you are looking to do there for entertainment -and they can direct you. They will also advise you where you should take a cab, and where you can walk to.

Also they do have nice rooms, and basic cheap rooms- again you have to explain what your looking for.

My other tip is to have the front desk staff arrange any cab transportation, we got taken advantage of by some cabs we booked on our own- but have great experiences with the ones that they called in for us!

Room Tip: You have to tell them what your expectations are for a room, and who you are travelling with etc. I...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank timmay_12
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Quaint older B&B, good value, interesting guests. Calvin is making improvements to an old place that is worn, and Ellis is great manager. They go out of their way to accomodate guest's requests. Yes, it is older, smoking is allowed, there is lots of street noise (San Jose is a busy city) and somewhat dangerous outside at night. Staff is very nice, cat hangs out in lobby to ignore guests, a couple of raccoons haunt the kitchen area some nights, but very nice open courtyard, and guests are quiet. Locals do come and go, and great place to practice your Spanish.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Rich T
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We took a bit of a risk staying at the Hemingway after reading some of the reviews but put our trust in the new management. We were not disappointed. Ellis is doing a great job of turning the place around and has lots of enthusiasm and energy, he's also a pretty cool guy. The ambiance of the main communal, outside area (with the now working hot tub!) was just as I had pictured it in my head with a really relaxed and slightly surreal feel and the guitar left out for anyone to play and free Wifi connection is a nice touch. We had a pretty stressful journey to San Jose, missing our connection flight and arriving a day late but the management at the Hemingway were especially cool about this, re-booked our taxi from the airport and gave us plenty of space to wind down on arriving. Ellis even tried to get Interbus to reimburse our payment for the journey to Cahuita that we missed and helped us arrange travel on the local bus, which turned out MUCH cheaper. The location is spot on if you wish to sample a bit of the madness that is San Jose but my one bit of advise is do not visit the nearby zoo if you love animals! Seeing these beautiful creatures in such small cages is madness when you have the rest of Costa Rica to explore and see them in the wild. What were we thinking?
This hotel is work in progress but I believe it will progress very quickly with Ellis at the controls and look forward to returning some day soon. Thank you so much.

Room Tip: next time, instead of booking two separate rooms I think we will book the suite (which has two separ...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ninoooor
Reviewed 3 February 2012

--stayed at the Hemingway first time last weekend on our first trip to Costa Rica. Was very impressed with the staff and management , who went out of the way to make us feel welcome.

--some necessary refurbishing is under way which didn't affect our stay at all --the new murals were especially fascinating --look to almost be in 3-d .

--we were very impressed, both with the Hemingway and with the rest of Costa Rica and are looking forward to a return trip--

Room Tip: --second floor was fine--little street noise and good bed--
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mary K
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 7 nights. I must say that I had a blast in San Jose and this hotel was a big part of why I did. The staff is great, everyone of them worked hard to make my stay a good one. Ellis the manager is a great guy. He was very helpful in arranging activities and answering any questions I had. The owner Calvin was also great. I had many good conversations with him. The people staying there were a lot of fun as well.

I paid 30$ a night plus tax, which is an amazing price. Breakfast was good (toast, eggs, juice, rice and beans/pancakes) and the room was nice and clean. I know Calvin is working on improving the hotel, once he is done the place will be a real gem. He is planning on adding a bar, and offer meals other than breakfast. As it stands, for the price you cannot beat the Hemingway Hotel. The rooms are comfortable, there is a decent selection of English language channels on the television, the common area is open air, and the staff keeps the room nice and clean. Understand, it isn't like a big chain hotel, so don't expect a Holiday Inn, but I would rather spend my money on activities while on vacation than drop a 100$ a night for a room I don't plan on being in other than to sleep.

Keep in mind that this hotel is not really a family friendly hotel. But for adults, backpackers, etc, it is perfect. The internet was free and had a good signal throughout the hotel. The hotel can book you whatever excursion you like and the staff is more than happy to tell you how to get anywhere, or in some cases, even offer to show you.

The area is quiet so you don't have to worry about a bunch of noise and it is conveniently located near all the main attractions of San Jose. There are 2 grocery stores within a 10 minute walk if you want to grab some supplies. The area is safe (at least from my experience) and well patrolled by police. The hotel will arrange transport to and from the airport for the same cost as a taxi.

All in all, I was very pleased with this hotel. I don't imagine my stay would have been as much fun if I had stayed somewhere else. Do yourself a favor and give this place a try if you are planning on being in San Jose.

Room Tip: Well the room I was in was nice and quiet. I don't think any of the rooms face the street, but...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo