“La Tropicana restaurant an excellent option in San Jose downtown”

Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola
Ranked #24 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 2 December 2012

Last week I had a meeting in San Jose Downtown and was invited to La Tropicana restaurant located in Aurola hotel Holiday Inn. I ordered a chef salad simply magnificient and big it was as a main dish. For the main dish ordered a beef lasagana delicious is trhe right word.
the atmosphere of the restaurant is nice and quiet. Also the have Buffett for lunch very economic and you can try many costarrican and international food and ofcourse the desert.
Nice place for me.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Greivin S
norman2, Marketing Director at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2012

Thank you for your review of our Tropicana Restaurant. We are pleased you enjoyed your meal! The restaurant is very popular for lunch and is a great value. We hope you have a chance to come back and try our El Mirador Restaurant - With the most incredible views of San Jose and the central valley!

Reviewed 21 November 2012

We were transferred here after we hated our all-inclusive resort. They gave us a free upgrade, a complimentary bottle of wine, entrance to their executive lounge, etc. It was so nice to go somewhere with impecable customer service! The location is right downtown, which we enjoy. The buzz of the people, shops and sites were good.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michelle F
norman2, Marketing Director at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

Thank you! We are so pleased that we exceeded your expectations! We love it when our guests have fun and enjoy the hotel and the city! Please come visit again soon!

Reviewed 11 November 2012

I have stayed three times there but basically because of location. On my next trip I will definitely not go there. It is close to everything, downtown that is, but not really friendly to families, for business might be good, but not for a family. There's a hotel in the area that only caters to sex tourist and the area is packed of prostitutes and it doesn't make you feel comfortable. There is a new manager who has made the place friendlier but he is definitely going through a hard time. Reception area people do not smile at all, they are so serious they do not smile and it is just not nice. Their internet system keeps blocking a lot of pages and you cannot do anything. I wanted to check in online for my flight and kept getting blocked, so ended up going straight to the airport causing me greater delay. Cab drivers right outside the hotel will rip you off back to back without mercy. Unless you know spanish almost perfect, and are a very good negotiator, you will never get a better rate. On my first trip I was given a $200 dollar daily rate for a cab to drive me around, and because of that reason I could barely do what I wanted to do due to price. On my second trip I got ripped off again, but on the third I got a much better rate than initial but still, they treat themselves like if you are in Vatican City or Paris. Overkill. I mean the place is not horrible, but I will not go there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
norman2, Marketing Director at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2012

Thank you for your recent review. We are very focused on making families welcome in our hotel and even have a special check-in gift for children of our guests to make them feel special.

Cab drivers in all cities can be a problem. Did you know you could pre-purchase transfers at the airport to avoid having to negotiate with the taxi drivers? We always recommend that guests ask the taxi desk at the airport what the charges are and only use approved taxi's.

Our wifi internet should not be blocking your airline pages. We have our IT engineer looking at the service to determine what problem you had during your stay. I personally used the WIFI and went onto American Airlines, United Airlines, and US Airways to check and I had no issues with the access, but we definitely want to be sure this does not occur again, so thank you for advising of that issue.

The "other" hotel you mention that is also downtown allows North Americans to check in with local prostitutes. We can not control their policies, but we are sorry your family was exposed to this. San Jose is a wonderful, vibrant city, but like all cities, it has it's unseemly side at times.

We would love to have you back! Pura Vida!

Reviewed 10 November 2012

Last night of fantastic Caravan Tour across all Costa Rica. Great location. Lots going on in area and in park immediately across from hotel. Good service, small lobby, friendly staff, food just OK. Sold pictures in lobby- very reasonable prices, ended up getting one of a bright toucan as a souveneir.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed our location and that you were able to experience the cultural activities in the park! We are sorry you did not find the restaurant food excellent and we have shared your review with our chef.

We are also pleased you enjoy your artwork that we offer very reasonably priced in our lobby. Please come visit us again soon!

Reviewed 28 October 2012

The decor of this hotel is dated, however we found it to be clean. The staff of this property were very friendly and accomodating. The the free breakfast buffet was very good. We also enjoyed the indoor heated pool!

Travelers should use caution when exploring this older part of San Jose. There are museums and plenty of shopping in a close proximity. The hotel is located across the street from a park. Staff recommended not going to the park after dark. We noticed some homeless people in the park on occasion.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the park !
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
norman2, Marketing Director at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay was. we love hearing from our guests!

As any city, anywhere, we advise guests to use caution at night and don't walk alone. Please visit us again soon!

We are glad you enjoyed our heated pool and our expansive breakfast buffet!

Pura Vida

Reviewed 25 October 2012

I have been to Aurola Hotel several times during this year and I think is the best option in Downtown San Jose. I have been in this hotel for business and vacations and I love it. The staff is always very friendly and attentive. Rooms are fresh and clean and I always take time to enjoy the indoor pool. The breakfast is always very good with a variety of choices

Room Tip: upper corner rooms are great!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor! We are very happy that our staff takes good care of you when you stay with us! Pura Vida!

Reviewed 17 October 2012

On october 15 I stayed with my wife at this hotel ,at reception everything was ok nevrtheless our first surprise was that breafast was nos included and sincerely we always booked hotel and is actually very common that breakast is included even buffet. When we got to the room was clean but some humidity was on air then I tried to open some windows to get fresh air but they were completly locked. Then I decided to get some coffee before dinner using the machine and coffee at the room that mentioend costarrican coffee and to my surprise was old and but quality.
The we got dinner and was good but again i ordered coffee and waitter told me was a well know costrrican brand "Brit" but again was like water. AT breakfast we ordered eggs,,juice, toasts and fruit were charged $15.00 per person what we consider very high
Finally when you try to book this hotel in some places mentioned 5 starts and other 3.5 starts bu for me it is just 3 starts

Room Tip: it si import to consider that breakfast is not included then you need to add $30 per day for a coupl...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
norman2, Marketing Director at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

To accommodate our guests, we offer both a room only and a breakfast plan on our website and through our reservation system. I am not sure who your reservation was booked with, but your confirmation should have been more informative and we are truly sorry.

Our in-room coffee is Britt and should have brewed a moderate pot in your room. We recommend to our guests that If you prefer a stronger brew, ask our housekeeping staff for an additional coffee pack.

As a high rise hotel, for safety reasons, we are required by law to ensure the windows do not open. The air conditioning unit in the room will alleviate issues with humidity after running a short time.

We also share your frustration on so-called "star ratings". Each website has their own way of determining the rating of the hotels they sell, and we can not control them. Our advise is to always look at guest review ratings as they accurately show what you can expect at a given hotel or resort.

We hope you enjoyed your stay, and we would love to have another opportunity to host you in the future.