All reviewsel miradorindoor poolcosta ricabreakfast buffetgold museumfront desk staffvery nice hotelhot waterwalk aroundpollofloorbellmanparquetoursteatropedestrianneighborhood
Reviewed 26 February 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Aurola upon our arrival to San Jose for a Caravan tour. We stayed two nights at the beginning and three nights at the end of the tour. The hotel itself is lovely, clean, the staff including housekeeping and bellboys were all very respectful and courteous. We ate free with the tour but they did not offer free breakfast after the tour. We walked a couple of blocks to the local supermarket for food which was fine with me. All other hotels in the area offered free breakfast. That being the only drawback, we enjoyed ourselves greatly and made many new friends in San Jose. The downtown area at first seemed liked it could be a dangerous place and I am sure that it can, but we didn't walk around with big bags, camera or anything of value showing. Most of the gift shops and restaurants accept you credit card so there wasn't a need for colones. The more you walk around San Jose, the more you will enjoy it. Beautiful weather, beautiful people, beautiful trip! We are already making plans to return!

2  Thank Jaimie A
Reviewed 20 February 2011

My wife and I had a one night layover in San Jose at the Holiday Inn Aurola on our way to and from the Caribbean coast. The staff was great, the room was perfect and they had transportation arrangements with the local taxi service to take us to the airport for a flat rate ($25 US). We were delighted by the vouchers for welcome fruit punch cocktails at the second floor bar we received on our arrival. The hotel accepted currency in US dollars or CR colones. They also had a business center we could use to print out our boarding passes for the next morning's flight ($3 US for 30 min of $10 US for 24 hours). All in all it was a pleasant experience.

Reviewed 16 February 2011

Everyone was very courteous, helpful, fast and friendly. The pool is awesome and the restaurant great. I will stay there again!. The only issue I have is that there is a club or something that plays music at night. It's faint and it didn't bother me much.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 February 2011

The summary says it all. Location is excellent. Hotel is clean but appears a little worn. Service in Mirador Restaurant was uneven over several meals, most of the time excellent. The food was very good. There was a misunderstanding relating to our order, which was probably due to a language problem.

1  Thank arovin
Reviewed 14 February 2011

The Aurola is a good sized Holiday Inn located across the street from the Morazan Park in downtown San Jose. The hotel itself is fine, but as many other reviewers have noted, the area where it is located is not the best. We only walked around during the daytime. We did enjoy seeing parrots and other birds in the park across the street.
We stayed at this hotel as part of a Caravan Tour, which was wonderful. However, I am probably the only person in a week or so of tour guests that was interested in using the swimming pool. The pool was closed because they were redoing the tile and fixing other things. The first night we were there we could and did use the hot tub which is in the same nicely decorated area. They also have a ping pong table in the pool area. The second night entrance was not allowed in the pool room because they were painting. This was very disappointing to me as it was the middle of January and the pool and hot tub were high on my list of things to do for my "winter break". Why they would do this when the hotel was full of tourists I don't know. We also had no hot water for our shower for two days. Pool towels were provided at the pool.
The elevators are operated by using the room key card and we could not get off the elevator at any floor but our own. This was a problem as the friend we had with us was put in a room on another floor......she finally got a second card so we could go back and forth. Too bad they didn't put her next to us because we had a room with the adjoining door. Hotel management at its best, I guess.
When we returned from our tour, the pool and hot tub was up and running. We even enjoyed a good game of ping pong. The restaurant is very pleasant here and the food was excellent. We enjoyed fresh pineapple at every breakfast and dinner which was included in our tour. There is a business area where we could print our boarding passes and there is a tiny gift shop in the lobby.
The bathroom and bedroom were clean and the towels were getting a bit thin but were fine. All the lights worked and the lighting was very good for reading in bed. We had one bathrobe in the closet in a room for two people. Oops.
When we returned for our last night at the Aurola after our tour, even though we requested adjoining rooms with our friend, we did not get them. Our room again had the door for adjoining rooms.
Because we were on a tour I have no idea about the parking situation for cars. I felt safe here and would recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple