Hotel Santo Tomas
HolidayInn.com
US$106
US$102
Hotels.com
Barcelo San Jose(San Jose)
US$99
US$82
Official Hotel
US$102
1,027 results
All reviewscosta ricahot tubbalcony roomtile floorssmall poolhotel ownerwithin easy walking distancean oasisceiling fanfew blocksold mansioncentral marketheart of san josefelt safehome basesecure parkingbreakfast included
Reviewed 14 April 2011

This hotel has poor security in my opinion. The room was clean but walking there even in the daytime felt dangerous to me and my children. The staff were mostly nice but I felt that the management was not responsive to concerns I brought up about security. I would say this hotel is comfortable and clean but I would recommend that tourists try to stay closer in the middle of the city for security and safety.

Room Tip: All rooms were nice
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank therese36
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2011

Hi therese3, This is from Thomas the owner of the Hotel Santo Tomas. At the present time we have 8 different security cameras taping and they are on line so that no matter where in the world I travel I have access to the security system. We keep a close eye on everything. You may not have noticed them as we tried to make them as inconspicuous as possible, but still effective. There is also a locked front from gate, which is typically in Latin American countries and also have become very common place in lots of locations in the United States. We are located only 4 blocks from central avenue and is easy walking distance to everything.
Many travelers to other countries feel uncomfortable about new surrounding and I do apologize for this, we do try very hard to create a haven from the city once you enter the hotel and many of our guests comments reflect this because of the pool, jacuzzi, gardens areas and open view terraces we provide. Thank You for your comments and they will be used to continue to improve our services. Thomas

Reviewed 11 April 2011

We stayed at the Santo Tomas Hotel for four nights prior to a Caravan tour. We chose the balcony room with queen bed, and were really pleased with having a balcony with two comfortable chairs that overlooked the small courtyard and pool. The entire hotel was immaculate, with great attention paid to details like lovely plants, perfect paint everywhere, and nice decorated high ceilings. The room was spacious and comfortable with a good bed. Also important to us, good wifi connection in the room, on the balcony, and at the outdoor tables in the small garden.

There were two terrace sitting areas with small sofas and chairs up stairs in two, and tables in the garden also, so getting out of the room and enjoying the outdoors is easy.

There is no refrig in the room, but staff will put your purchased food (supermercado with lovely prepared fruits, and other meals about 2 blocks away) in a locked refrigerator in the lobby. You can buy cold drinks in the lobby also, and there is a coin-operated hot drinks machine.

There is an atm close-by, ask at the desk for easy directions.

The breakfast menu is "serve yourself" juice and coffee, and your choice of three simple menus of cooked eggs and porridge. These were not exciting, but perfectly fine and gave one a good start to the day.

The staff is very pleasant and friendly.

The Santo Tomas is located about 4-5 blocks from the downtown pedestrian mall, which would be an easy walk were the sidewalks in better condition. One has to keep one's eyes on the sidewalk to prevent injury. Nonetheless, it was easy to get downtown, and to many of the museums and parks. We very much enjoyed the National Museum, and it has a very good handicrafts market in front of it.

We enjoyed RostiPollos for a tasty bbq'd chicken lunch, and La Esquina de Buenos Aires, an Argentinean restaurant specializing in grilled meats. Both are very popular with the locals, with good reason.

We highly recommend the Santo Tomas.

Room Tip: We really liked our Queen bed room with balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Arequipa
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2011

Hi Arequipa, I wanted to say that in one fell swoop you described what I have been trying to do with the hotel for our guests. I don't profess to be the Marriott or any other big 5 star hotel . I am trying to provide a great product with a true Costa Rica feel at a very fair price. Your descriptions of what you observed in the hotel and the surrounding area is very accurate and should be a good tool for informing potential new visitors to San Jose. There will always be things I can improve on and I will strive to do that at the Hotel Santo Tomas. I really appreciate your review and send you a very heart felt THANK YOU !

Thomas

Reviewed 10 April 2011

This hotel is based around a 100 year old residence and, like most of Costa Rica, has open air areas. It is less like a hotel than an large B&B. When we arrived, we SAT down at the desk and filled out a big old fashioned register; the gentleman on the desk arranged for a cab to the airport. The room was small (the cheapest) but clean and cozy; they leave the doors to the unoccupied rooms open, so we could see that the larger rooms were quite nice. It was the end of tourist season, so the restaurant was not busy. We got excellent service. The food was equally good and the menu extensive. Unlike some more expensive hotels, the internet is free. All in all, it would have been a good base if we had been staying in San Jose longer.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2011

I found the Hotel still as great as during last visits. They have done some cosmetic work like railings around and to the pool. Added some nice rooms upstairs overlooking the pool. Its still my favorite place. They now have a virtual tour of the Hotel on the internet.
Ernie-Salem, OR

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo

Hi Ernie, This is from Thomas and I wanted to say a public thank you for all of the times you have visited the hotel. My staff enjoys having you there and you are one of the many regular clients we have. Thank You again or your patronage !
Thomas

Reviewed 17 March 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 3 short periods. All the staff but one were very helpful and friendly. We loved the ambience of the high ceilings and cool tile floors. We had an upgraded double and it was nice. The linens were a bit shabby, but the whole scene was great. Our breakfast was quick and delicious, the patios were lovely at night. The pool was really nice. The rest of our party stayed at the Holiday Inn around the corner and paid over twice what we did! Why go to a foreign country and stay in a sterile American Hotel? We prefer local charm.
Yes, the street is not inviting...get over it.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple