“" Paradise Mansion "”
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

Hotel Santo Tomas
Ranked #7 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This now being my second time at Hotel Santo Tomas, I was welcomed back in as if I were part of the family... Tom and his staff were extremely attentive to my needs and they are a joy to see and be around. It is located in the perfect spot and anything outside of the hotel is only minutes away. On my next trip I will be staying here again, it is sooo clean and nicely put together, reminding me of an older mansion... Hardwood floors and cathedral ceilings in your room, not to mention how spacious they are.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 March 2012

I have never been to Costa Rica before and was supposed to meet a friend at the Hotel Santo Tomas for a vacation. A number of things went wrong and I found myself alone and stranded. Because of a number of really odd circumstances, I was in a city that I didn't speak the language, had little money and my credit card wasn't working. I was eating (the free) breakfast my first morning and Tom, the owner, came to welcome me (as he welcomed everyone in the restaurant). When he heard what I going through, he cheerfully and immediately took care of all my concerns - rebooked travel arrangements, made phone calls, and saved the day. I have never had such great customer service and never needed/appreciated it more.

My missing friend showed up a day late and our trip went on without a hitch, thanks to Tom's help.

The hotel is clean, close to everything, priced right, and has a great restaurant. There are many beautiful outside patio areas to relax at the hotel if you don't want to walk to the downtown area.

My first night was in the older section of the hotel. If you stay here, ask for a room in the new section - the rooms are beautiful.

I can't recommend this hotel or the owner's hospitality, enough.

Room Tip: The rooms in the newer section of the hotel are much nicer than the ones that haven't been renov...
Reviewed 15 March 2012

My family and I have been travelling to Costa Rica for over 15 years. We have stayed at the Hotel Santo Tomas on every visit. The rooms are spacious (with great high ceilings) and beautifully furnished. The property itself is a great retreat from the hustle and bustle of the busy city. They serve a pleasant breakfast every morning with that awesome Costa Rican coffee! You can walk to the pedestrian shopping district and the central market with ease. My son loves their swimming pool and the ravioli cardenal at the Oasis Restaurant. The chef and Carlos present wonderful dishes at the Oasis and I have never been disappointed. The hotel even has a private car park, weight room, and several terraces, covered and open to relax and enjoy the property.
If you're looking to try something with character, friendly staff, and Costa Rican charm, I recommend Hotel Santo Tomas wholeheartedly. Pura Vida!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2012

My friend and I recently stayed at Hotel Santo Tomas and could not have been happier. The location is perfect- a 1 minute walk from the heart of downtown San Jose, so it's not too noisy or congested, but you can still walk out the door to shop or eat or sight-see. I'm a young female and was often by myself during the trip, yet I always felt safe. The complimentary breakfast was perfect and the hotel's bar/restaurant was so enjoyable in the evenings (thanks to Carlos!) we ended up starting off every night with happy hour there. The staff were all wonderful, helpful and eager to share their insight if we had questions, and the owner, Thomas, would go out of his way to be sure that everyone was having an enjoyable, problem-free trip. He is genuinely passionate about his role as owner/manager of the hotel and it was clear that everyone (staff and guests) was happy to be there. I'm not surprised that my friend and I ended up extending our stay there another night... and then another... and we're already anxious to go back!

I highly recommend the Hotel Santo Tomas whether you're traveling for business or leisure, with family, friends, or solo.

2  Thank Kacie D
Reviewed 14 March 2012

The San Tomas hotel has a most convenient location if you want to explore central downtown San Jose. It is very easy walking distance to the Teatro Nacional and Calle Central. But despite being in the heart of the city, the walled courtyard and restaurant, with beautiful small swimming pool, is an oasis of peace and quiet. The building is an architectural gem, the staff are outstandingly pleasant, friendly and helpful. Also there is very secure off-street parking. I stayed for only two nights, I would plan to stay there again next time I'm in the city, and I can highly recommend it for those who appreciate smaller and more distinctive hotels. Also excellent value for money.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank iancant
Reviewed 14 March 2012

The first two nights of my trip to CR, we spent two nights at Hotel Santo Tomas. It is located in a safe neighborhood of San Jose and only about 3 blocks (5 min) walk from the central shopping area of San Jose. We stayed in the old part of the hotel which is in need for a renovation, but has a charming pre-Panama canal era feeling to it. Upgrade to the new rooms for just a few bucks more.

The hot water in the showers is interesting. Make sure you turn on the hot water just about a quarter-turn clockwise, and then turn on the cold as much as you want and then you'll actually have hot water. As a civil engineer, it baffles me as to why it works that way. But, none-the-less, hot water.

The owner, Tomas, is an amazing guy. He went out of his way to make sure that our rental car was going to arrive on time and he gave us buckets of information as to good routes to drive along and places to see in CR. Clearly, he loves interacting with the guests and it shows.

Take advantage of exchanging your money at the hotel; they offered us an amazing exchange rate. Way better rates than at the airport and even here back in the US.

Overall, a great place to stay. I will definitely be staying there again when I return to CR, next!

Room Tip: Ask for the newly built rooms. They're only a few bucks more, but significantly nicer than the o...
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Great location, close to downtown shopping, restarants, attractions, etc. The staff is very friendly and helpful. When we first arrived we had a room at the front which had a lot of street noise, but when we asked at the front desk they moved us to a superior room further back and it was great, large room, comfortable bed, flat screen TV and WiFi in the room! Will stay again!

Room Tip: Very good location close to downtown, shopping resteraunts, attractions, etc. The staff is very fre...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple