“Friendly and safe”
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

Hotel Santo Tomas
Ranked #6 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Santo Tomas even if it was only for one night. We were upgraded for free to a deluxe room which was brand new and modern, with a safe and cable TV. The hotel is a renovated, modified old house with a lot of charm. There is a restaurant/bar in the hotel so you don't have to leave the hotel if you don't want to. The owner was happy to chat with us in the morning. The only negative thing I could say is "powder cream" for the coffee. The city of San Jose itself was not pretty and felt a bit unsafe. We did walk around a bit but we were happy to have the option to relax in the hotel's yard.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 April 2012

Let me just start by saying that I have never rated a hotel 5 stars here on tripadvisor in all the hotels that I have ever visited. Also, this is the first time that I ever stayed in a hotel such as this. It is an old mansion that has been converted into a hotel. I usually stay in a compound or a resort or well-known hotel. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I trusted the reviews here on tripadvisor and went ahead and booked it and a whim. Overall this hotel far surpassed what I had expected. Although this is certainly not the Hilton, this quaint little hotel is very well kept. Location, location, location! This hotel is situated right where everything is happening in the city. We were minutes from restaurants, bars, and clubs, shopping, transit, museums, coffee shops. Everything was right near by. This has got to be the cleanest hotel that I have every stayed at, ever. The wood and ceramic floors were polished on a daily basis. The common areas were well kept free from cigarette buts and garbage. The atmosphere was just wonderful. There wasn’t a minute in the day that the cleaning staff were resting, the entire premises was impeccable! No loud music, no large crowds, it was just amazing. The room we stayed in was just $60CAD/night. This price included both wireless and wired Internet access as well as daily breakfast and a safe for your laptop. I found this to be an incredible value. The staff onsite were very pleasant and helpful. The room came equipped with a 37” LCD HD TV, WOW; I was really impressed with this. Our room had a double bed, a dresser and table and chairs. It was a fair sized room, much more than I expected for the price. I was also impressed with the tall 12FT ceilings and mahogany fames throughout and just really how old and antique-like the building was. I honestly could not say enough good things about this hotel. The only unpleasant thing about the room was the bathroom smelled a little like sulfur. The first day or so I thought it was just all of that Latin food I was eating and not so used to, I later realized that thankfully it was not me that this odor was coming from. This little property had a 5FT swimming pool, a hot tub (Jacuzzi), and a workout room with various exercise equipment. There were also many different areas set up with tables and chairs that you could sit out and relax on. If you are looking for something a little different than the big chain hotels, I highly recommend this place. If you are the sort that is going to complain about stupid little things rather than soak up the rustic atmosphere than go to the Hilton and spend the $200+ per night. That’s just my two cents. I have stayed in the Fairmount and the Hilton and other large chains. It can be comforting, everything is “just so”, but this was such a cool experience for me and I think that I would do it again!

Room Tip: If you can afford the upgrade, do it! Although my room was spacious and just wonderful, I peaked in...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul S
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This now being my second time at Hotel Santo Tomas, I was welcomed back in as if I were part of the family... Tom and his staff were extremely attentive to my needs and they are a joy to see and be around. It is located in the perfect spot and anything outside of the hotel is only minutes away. On my next trip I will be staying here again, it is sooo clean and nicely put together, reminding me of an older mansion... Hardwood floors and cathedral ceilings in your room, not to mention how spacious they are.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I have never been to Costa Rica before and was supposed to meet a friend at the Hotel Santo Tomas for a vacation. A number of things went wrong and I found myself alone and stranded. Because of a number of really odd circumstances, I was in a city that I didn't speak the language, had little money and my credit card wasn't working. I was eating (the free) breakfast my first morning and Tom, the owner, came to welcome me (as he welcomed everyone in the restaurant). When he heard what I going through, he cheerfully and immediately took care of all my concerns - rebooked travel arrangements, made phone calls, and saved the day. I have never had such great customer service and never needed/appreciated it more.

My missing friend showed up a day late and our trip went on without a hitch, thanks to Tom's help.

The hotel is clean, close to everything, priced right, and has a great restaurant. There are many beautiful outside patio areas to relax at the hotel if you don't want to walk to the downtown area.

My first night was in the older section of the hotel. If you stay here, ask for a room in the new section - the rooms are beautiful.

I can't recommend this hotel or the owner's hospitality, enough.

Room Tip: The rooms in the newer section of the hotel are much nicer than the ones that haven't been renov...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2012

My family and I have been travelling to Costa Rica for over 15 years. We have stayed at the Hotel Santo Tomas on every visit. The rooms are spacious (with great high ceilings) and beautifully furnished. The property itself is a great retreat from the hustle and bustle of the busy city. They serve a pleasant breakfast every morning with that awesome Costa Rican coffee! You can walk to the pedestrian shopping district and the central market with ease. My son loves their swimming pool and the ravioli cardenal at the Oasis Restaurant. The chef and Carlos present wonderful dishes at the Oasis and I have never been disappointed. The hotel even has a private car park, weight room, and several terraces, covered and open to relax and enjoy the property.
If you're looking to try something with character, friendly staff, and Costa Rican charm, I recommend Hotel Santo Tomas wholeheartedly. Pura Vida!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2012

My friend and I recently stayed at Hotel Santo Tomas and could not have been happier. The location is perfect- a 1 minute walk from the heart of downtown San Jose, so it's not too noisy or congested, but you can still walk out the door to shop or eat or sight-see. I'm a young female and was often by myself during the trip, yet I always felt safe. The complimentary breakfast was perfect and the hotel's bar/restaurant was so enjoyable in the evenings (thanks to Carlos!) we ended up starting off every night with happy hour there. The staff were all wonderful, helpful and eager to share their insight if we had questions, and the owner, Thomas, would go out of his way to be sure that everyone was having an enjoyable, problem-free trip. He is genuinely passionate about his role as owner/manager of the hotel and it was clear that everyone (staff and guests) was happy to be there. I'm not surprised that my friend and I ended up extending our stay there another night... and then another... and we're already anxious to go back!

I highly recommend the Hotel Santo Tomas whether you're traveling for business or leisure, with family, friends, or solo.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kacie D
Reviewed 14 March 2012

The San Tomas hotel has a most convenient location if you want to explore central downtown San Jose. It is very easy walking distance to the Teatro Nacional and Calle Central. But despite being in the heart of the city, the walled courtyard and restaurant, with beautiful small swimming pool, is an oasis of peace and quiet. The building is an architectural gem, the staff are outstandingly pleasant, friendly and helpful. Also there is very secure off-street parking. I stayed for only two nights, I would plan to stay there again next time I'm in the city, and I can highly recommend it for those who appreciate smaller and more distinctive hotels. Also excellent value for money.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo