Hotel Santo Tomas
Balmoral Hotel(San Jose)
US$99
US$82
Official Hotel
Barcelo San Jose(San Jose)
US$113
US$95
  • Breakfast included
US$96
1,026 results
All reviewscosta ricahot tubbalcony roomtile floorssmall poolhotel ownerwithin easy walking distancean oasisceiling fanfew blocksold mansioncentral marketheart of san josefelt safehome basesecure parkingbreakfast included
Reviewed 1 May 2012

My wife and I read the reviews and thought it would be a nice place to spend our last night in San Jose. When we arrived at 8pm Saturday night the neighborhood was swarming with prostitutes, homeless people and drunks. Police were arresting someone around the corner. Pulling up to the hotel, we were approached by beggars and solicited by prostitutes. It was loud, dirty and seedy. My wife and I live in the East Village of New York City and have travelled extensively off the beaten path, so we are open to various scenarios but this was beyond the type of place we felt comfortable staying. I have never driven away from a hotel before.

We ended up checking into the Hampton Inn next to the airport. I called Orbitz immediately to let them know of the situation. They called the hotel to inform them that we did not feel comfortable staying there due to being harassed outside the hotel and we would like to cancel our reservation. However, the hotel insisted on charging us the full night's stay.
I understand they have to charge us something, but I feel that I should have NOT to pay the full amount of the room since we did not stay there due to a safety issue.

I called a supervisor at Orbitz who called the hotel again, but they still declined to reduce the charge. The hotel may be nice but the neighborhood is awful when we were there, it was not safe. I think the hotel should have a better policy towards cancellations. I don't feel like we should be penalized for being put in a unsafe situation and having to find a new hotel at the last minute. I don't think they deserve future business if this is how they treat travelers.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank robbierob16
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Hi Robbier Rob16, This is from Thomas the owner. Normally when a client arrives at the hotel , they at least enter and meet the receptionist and if for some fair reason do not wish to stay, we have them sign a receipt, that they arrived and cancel their reservation with out a charge. I reviewed all of our cameras from 7:30 pm to 8:30 pm including the street cameras and did see your taxi arrival. Many times taxi drivers will try to persuade a client to another hotel, especially, if it is their last night, close to the airport, where a large commission is paid. Travelers BEWARE, I have had clients enter saying that the taxi drive told them , the hotel is closed, burnt down and all sorts of other stories. I don't pay unscrupulous taxi drives a commission. Yes, Orbitz called us and as you were a NO-SHOW,we followed the policy that is stated in your reservation agreement, any client may cancel with out penalty the last 48 hours before check-in. I truly apologize for your inconvenience.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

I recently stayed in the Hotel Santo Tomas with my father and brother, from 4/20/12 - 4/22/12.

In the dense urban environment that is San Jose, it can be easy to overlook the unassuming Hotel Santo Tomas from its exterior. You could drive right by it without knowing it, but you shouldn't. Within its restored mansion-like interior, you are treated to a veritable sea of calm and relaxation in the hustle and bustle of the city around you. The inner courtyard and rooms are very well maintained and clean. The pool is a perfect size, with a walk-up jaccuzi and waterslide into truly refreshing water.

The in-house restaurant serves a variety of dishes, from a delicious ceviche and palm tree nut soup to fettucini alfredo, chicken meals and a somewhat disappointing filet. The prices are some of the best we encountered in Costa Rica, your colones go far here. The rooms themselves are well appointed, with a large flatscreen television, high-speed ceiling fans and excellent, comfortable beds.

The proprietor, Thomas, was accommodating and very welcoming to some very tired gringos. He even helped out with a ride to the airport, which as anyone who has been to San Jose knows can be a trying journey.

Surrounded by competent staff from the reception to the chefs in the restaurant, his hotel comes highly recommended. Look no further than the Hotel Santo Tomas for quality accommodations at a very affordable price right in the heart of San Jose.

Room Tip: No air conditioning in our room, but cool nights, swimming pool and high-speed fan make it just fine.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank c r
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2012

Hi Cr from Denver, I really thank you for the kind words and wonderful comments you posted for the hotel and myself . Your comments are what we strive to do everyday for all of our clients . You and your sons were in the hotel for three nights and it was great for me to see such a wonderful relationship between grown sons and their father. A shining example for others to follow ! Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed 22 April 2012

Great place for the price. A true oasis in the city. The hot tub was actually hot!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ursulaThornton
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Hi, UrsulaThornton, this is from Thomas the owner of the hotel . I thank you personally for your comments on your stay. Especially about the hot tub and water slide , located above the pool and waterfall. A great place to have happy hour drinks and dinner next to the restaurant. Yes, I purchased a large swimming pool heater just for the hot tub, over 5 grand in cost and its heats like no other. I am so glad you enjoyed it ! Thoma

Reviewed 22 April 2012

Stayed at the hotel two different days as we were travelling into and out of Costa Rica.

When travelling into costa rica we got upgraded to an oversized room. The hotel was clean, and close to the main market. The bathrooms in both parts of the trip were clean which is important for anybody travelling in the tropics. The AC and the TV worked well.

On the way out of costa rica, the hotel was over booked, and we got relegated to the far corners of the hotel. The entry was to small to have our bags come through, while we had to walk sideways into the hotel room. To say the least, the bed had a negative slope to the head of the bed. At least the bathroom was clean. Not happy about second night at all.

Stayed: April 2012

Hi Etownfoodie, I wanted to say thanks to you for you honest opinion about your two different stays in the hotel. Glad to hear that you appreciated the free room upgrade on you way in country and that everything was great. On your exit out , I have investigated, what occurred on that day and it is something that rarely happens, we had almost half of the hotel fill ( 15 rooms ) in a span on about 3 hours with walk-in clients. The overbooking occurred because on a bad software configuration. I will be fixing that today with my software company. With respect to your room #15, yes it has a narrow entrance, as I had to place a steel support column for the new beautiful view rooms I built upstairs. We direct sell that room from my hotel web site ( # 15 ) for $40.00 dollars US including free hot cooked breakfast, wi-fi, safety deposit box, pool, jacuzzi, fitness gym and more for 2 people. Most clients find that it is a great value and are happy to use it. We would have gladly found you another hotel close by and relocated you if you were not happy. The bed has been repaired as of today by my maintenance staff. I do apologize for your inconvenience and am happy that you did enjoy the free room upgrade and everything else. Always at your service Thomas

Reviewed 22 April 2012

Staff was welcoming and helpful with directions, even making calls to verify travel schedules for us. Rooms were comfortable, clean and breakfast was excellent. I would stay here again if I ever return to Costa Rica.

The hotel is close to the bus station if you are taking the bus to Puerto Jimenez. Side note here- if you are taking this bus, keep your bags on your lab no matter how uncomfortable, (our stuff was stolen on this bus and the thieves are very good at moving undetected! It was a terrible experience and I would love no one else to have to go through this!!!)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple