“Great Staff and Beautiful Building”
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

Hotel Santo Tomas
Ranked #8 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Great location, we could walk to get fast food 24/7 around the corner. Only blocks away from pedestrian walkway Avenida Central which can lead you to everything; souvenirs, museums, Mercado Central and especially Pops!

Great staff, they are very happy to help from luggage storage, room changes, taxi services and even trying to get our exit taxes paid! (Note; go to Banco Costa Rica the day before you leave, less lines and you can fill out the form before you get to the airport, saving you lots of time)

Glad that we could change rooms. First room was SUPER small with no windows and a scary closet. Second room with a $18.00 upgrade had a larger room, balcony and delightful!

Pool was fun, relaxing and even tried the slide! (felt like a kid). Breakfast was filling with gallo pinto, eggs, fruit, toast, juices, cereals and coffee. Drinks are always available from staff at reception area.

Normally, we stay at b&bs but if I couldn't stay at my favorite place in San Jose, would definitely come back to Santo Tomas

Room Tip: The standard rooms can be small, think "closet". Consider an upgrade and ask about one of...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank bjlemont
Management response:Responded 1 July 2012

Hi Bjlemont, This is from Thomas the owner of the hotel , glad to hear you enjoyed the fast food restaurants close by. Our on site restaurant El Oasis also servers very good healthy international/ French food with nice portions at a reasonable price as well, with happy hour from 4 to 6 pm. Hopefully you will give the restaurant a try on your next visit . Most likely you booked the economy room, our most economical room at app. $50.00 US for two people including a free hot cooked breakfast and Wi-Fi, most consider this a great value. You are correct for just a few dollars more you may upgrade to one of our much larger rooms and many clients do. We also have a great Italian coffee machine in the lobby that grinds the beans right then with about 10 different hot coffee drinks available 24/7. All in all again thank you for the wonderful review . Please return and recommend us to your friends. Warmest Regards Thomas

There are newer reviews for Hotel Santo Tomas

Reviewed 28 June 2012

Downtown San Jose is not the most fascinating place on earth, but this Hotel is a nice little oasis with high ceilings, spacious rooms, a small pool, a patio and 2nd floor porch, and very friendly staff.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms allow for more privacy
2  Thank Andrea J
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We wanted to share an experience we had with the staff in May.

Excellent and caring people at this hotel as well as a great location. We had friends who were previous guests of the hotel and we needed a place to put our luggage for the day. The staff was very gracious and took care of everything for free--just an amazing way to treat friends of guests.

Would definitely stay there after this experience and highly recommended!! A+++

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank kigs2k
Reviewed 21 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Santo Tomas for 2 nights after a month travelling through Central America and enjoyed the stay very much. The service provided by the staff was professional yet friendly. We looked at several different room types before making our decision. Rooms are mostly spacious with high ceilings and nice fittings. There are several separate lounge areas that allow guests to relax in a variey of settings. The pool is small, but fine. Breakfast was only ok. The ambience of the hotel is very pleasant. Overall we would definitely stay at Hotel Santo Tomas again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Fez25
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My husband, two sons, and I spent 3 nights at Hotel Santo Tomas last week. We had originally booked 4 nights, but were delayed one day because of cancelled flights. I emailed the hotel to let them know we would be coming in a day later and was surprised to hear directly from Thomas, the owner! He assured me that our room would be waiting on us the next day. Then, to our delight, we were not charged for the 4th night!
The hotel is a beautifully renovated mansion. My husband and I love the "character" of the hotel. There are several outdoor and covered sitting areas to enjoy. The service is top-notch including the people at the desk, those who clean the rooms, and the restaurant staff.
An added bonus is the beautiful pool with a slide and jacuzzi set in a cozy garden and patio area. Of course, our sons loved being able to swim every day!
We have stayed at Hotel Santo Tomas in the past and will continue to make it our top choice in years to come!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are different, so tell them what you want and they will help you!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sharon N
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Summary: The stanard room is pretty standard - except for the nice TV. The $10 for parking was a bit of a surprise since it appears to be attached to the hotel. Breakfast was - dry and could have been fresher.

Details: I had to make a quick stop after my late flight arrival. I decided to pick this hotel since it was en route to my final destination of Limon. Service is great however I could not sleep due to an annoying water drip all night. I thought it was a leak but it was the downspout just outside the door and the bed being located directly at the door of the room. The morning meal of gallo pinto could have been better - it was dry. I know gallo pinto having lived on an off in Costa Rica for 10 years now - and this was a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10.

I will consider staying again as the location is excellent for heading East out of the city.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 14. The gutter downspout drips right at the door to the room - not a leak or sli...
1  Thank mehtravels
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

Hi Mehtravels, This is from Thomas , the owner and I thank you for your comments and suggestions. Our standard room for around $50.00 US for two people is what most of our clients state, is a very good deal, this includes Free WiFi and A Hot Breakfast ( Fresh Juice –two types, Fresh Coffee, tea ,eggs cooked to your choice, fruit plate, toast, jam and Gallo Pinto ( A local Costa Rican dish of beans and rice). We also have a curry based sauce as well as a ( Chilieo , A vinegar based hot sauce with assorted vegetables) This in the event you find it a bit dry or wish for a more hearty taste. I have spoken to my maintenance department about the drip and it is fixed. I truly apologize for that. I hope you will return and keep recommending the hotel. Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed 19 June 2012

Just came back from a recent trip to Costa Rica. I've stayed at several San Jose hotels and several other hotels around this beautiful country. This trip, I stayed at the Hotel Santo Tomas - TWICE. Kind of just stumbled on it, surfing the net. Took a chance and I'm glad I did. It is a real jewel. Spotless clean, centrally located, with an incrtedibly friendly and helpful staff. Thanks Miguel, Mauricio, and especially the owner, Thomas.

This is an old, historic home converted to a small hotel. It is in the center of San Jose within easy walking distance to everything San Jose. Great little pool to relax in, bar and restaurant, with several areas to relax, and even a workout room (if you're into that kind of thing). The hotel staff goes out of their way to insure that your stay is excellent. They can arrange excursions, rental cars, just about anything you need. And the price is definitely right!

And, it's San Jose, NOT the same chain hotel you can find anywhere in the States or most anywhere else. I will definitely stay here every time I return to Costa Rica.

The Santo Tomas is a real diamond in the rough.

Room Tip: One of three second floor rooms overlooking the pool are great!
1  Thank FranW17