“Great Staff. A Solid and Safe Place to Stay !!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

Hotel Santo Tomas
Ranked #7 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
“Great Staff. A Solid and Safe Place to Stay !!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

For 60$USD/night i wouldn't have expected more. To begin with the positive features of this hotel, the staff were all very friendly and helpful. I stored my luggage with Santo Tomas on more than one occasion throughout my travels in Costa Rica between stays and it was always safe, secure and not disturbed in anyway. This served was a great convenience and i was very grateful that my belongings remained safe until i made it back! This hotel is solid and trustworthy!!

On the down side, the rooms are dated which did not bother me, except it appears that the floor of my room was never washed in a very long time. There was a clean area carpet that covered 2/3 of the walkable area of the room but the remainder of the floor was extremely filthy and my socks were quickly ruined. Other than this, the rest of the hotel was clean and i observed it being cleaned daily.

I stayed here on a few occasions and will probably stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Hola Florence007, Glad to hear that you used us as your home base in Costa Rica , many of our guests do, the free baggage storage make it easy along with the quick laundry service. With respect to the floor in you room , you were in one of my economy rooms and dated it is , the house was built in 1908 and the floors are original hand made tiles. They have been photographed and registered with the Costa Rica Historical Society. I have stripped the old wax off of the floor since receiving your review and I believe this should alleviate the situation, I apologize for that. Looking forward to your next visit. Thomas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

Santo Thomas offered a nice hotel at reasonable prices. I have no real complaints. The hotel room and amentites were nice. The hotel staff was receptive. I would recommend this hotel.

I can say, however, that there are better values in San Jose. The location of Santo Thomas is in a seedy part of town; not good for conservative travelers who are offended by prostitution or for those who enjoy walking around town in the evening. The hotel staff was not as helpful or recptive with service or tourist information as some other hotels. Some some nicer and more centrally located hotels can be found in San Jose at the same price.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Hi David, nice hotel at reasonable prices is a very good summation of what we offer. I don't understand about my staff not being receptive or helpful, that is what we really concentrate on, as many many reviews substantiate. I will have a chat with them to reinforce our policies, sorry about that. Thomas
York, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

As the general manager for a tour company, I have to praise the front desk highly for their efforts to help our group enjoy their stay at this hotel. While there were a few hitches, as with any hotel, the front staff's effort made up for a strong push to give it a 4 star rating.

Starting with the location which was perfect enough to stay away from the hustle and bustle of Central Avenue, but yet, easy to walk to, a merely 4 blocks away. This hotel was a bit dated but nevertheless kept its' charm with the furniture and decor and flat screen TVs.

As for the rooms themselves, we stayed here two separate occasions on our tour, and I enjoyed my second room, number 22 more than number 11. Likewise, with a few of our members, they enjoyed staying in room number 8 more than room number 2.

Each room is different, and has their own certain appeal. So it can be a hit or miss with the rooms unless you specify what you are looking for and whether it is available.

As for breakfast, it is included but it is NOT a buffet. It is the same menu every day, and you are charged for a second plate. Our group was fine with that because we certainly ate well on this trip. There is a restaurant at the hotel for dinner but we did not dine there so I cannot comment on that.

There is a bar with bar food across the street for those who are price-conscious and we certainly recommend it. The food there was pretty good. There is also an AM/PM store right around the corner (go left when you exit the hotel).

The only two downside I would say to this hotel is the lack of modern safe (their safes were a lock and key instead of a digital strongbox) and the quality of the neighborhood after dark. While we did not have any issues walking at night, do not be surprised to find prostitutes hanging out on the corner.

Room Tip: Room number 22 was far much better than room number 11 for a standard single/double bed, with a view...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Hi MarkDeafTravel, Thanks for your positive comments, I am happy to know that everyone had a very positive experience. Hoping you will return in the future.
Warmest Regards Thomas
Maine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

This hotel is in a scary area down town. Rooms are large and dated. Some reviews mentioned antiques - these are not antiques, but beat up and dated reproductions. Coverlets on the beds are old and worn out. Yes, rooms have high ceilings. But showers don't have showerheads - literally, it's just a pipe sticking from out of a wall. It is very noisy. I would never stay here again, its plain 2 stars in my opinion. There is a American chain hotel 2 blocks away. If you absolutely have to stay downtown - that's a better bet.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Hi Wtravel66, As other reviewers have stated, we are located only four blocks from Central Avenue , the main pedestrian walk street where , the Gold Museum, National Theater, National Museum and many other local attractions are found. I located your reservation and you selected our cheapest room , the economy at $52.00 US dollars including breakfast for two. I apologize it was not pleasing for you. The same is available across the street at the soda for an $8.00 charge per person. All of the hotel furniture is King Louie the XV reproductions in solid mahogany, from a wonderful company established here in Costa Rica in 1906. It is owned by the Urgelles & Penon family. Our ex-president Oscar Arias's family and is world known for it's fine furniture. The front desk that welcomes our clients is the same one the president of the country uses. Clear glass is on all of the top surfaces for protection and lends an air of elegance. You are correct on the showers, a chrome tube does comes out of the wall and has a shower head on it. We are green compliant with water saver shower heads, it does not provide a solid shot of wasteful water. I did not realize they were noisy , I apologize for that and will have my maintenance department check them. We also were just certified in January 2013 by the Costa Rica Tourist board. A score of 344 points out of 500 were awarded to us. This represents a 3.5 start rating. Again I apologize that we were not able to satisfy you. Thomas
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

Nice hotel. Nothing Special. Owner greeted guests in the morning which was a nice touch.
Breakfast was a little skimpy. Nice pool. Not a bad value for San Jose. Hotel has charm not found in bigger box hotels,

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony are best
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hola Perufirst, Nice and Charming is a good title , thank you for that. Yes the charm and personalized service is something you won't find in bigger box hotels. Most of our clients select the Santo Tomas, just because it is not a box hotel. Built in 1908 and declared a Historical Landmark , it now includes the new section upstairs with balcony view rooms. Throw in the pool, hot jacuzzi, gardens, happy hour from 4 to 7 and yes that makes us a great value in San Jose. Again Thanks Perufirst for your comments . Thomas
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

Great small hotel well-located in San Jose. Owner is on-site and all staff are helpful and friendly.; Food was great: Breakfast was included and nice. Hotel is also a great place for dinner. Rooms are clean and pleasant. Only drawback was lack of printer for printing airline boarding passes. I plan to stay again soon.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Hola Craig, your short , concise and accurate review is really appreciated by me. Thank You ! The breakfast we offer is about an $8.00 value per person across the street and is included in the room price. It's wonderful that someone truly sees the value in something that is a real cost to me. Manuel our chef and Carlos the bartender have been with us for almost 10 years and make a great team, our dinners are prepared in a healthy manner and fairly priced for a nice sized portion. I apologize about the printer, but I am sure that once you arrived at the airport you learned boarding passes were not required. Swipe your passport and off you go. Looking forward to you next visit . See you in the breakfast area by the pool ! Thomas
Summerville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

We had a great experience with this hotel. When we first arrived the area looked a little old but once we were inside it was wonderful. The room was large and very clean. The staff were more than helpful. They helped arrange our tours for us. They had very early taxis ready and the two evening meals were good. Only four blocks from main downtown great for walking.

2 Thank Connie H
Hi Connie, A Great Small Hotel, outstanding , that is just what we try to do every day. Yes we are in the historical district of San Jose , Barrio Amon. It was established by the French in the 1700 's and was the first city in Latin America to have public street lights in August 9, 1894 , Paris was the first. A great experience is what the hotel business is all about for us. And as you stated only four blocks from Central Avenue, the main pedestrian street in San Jose, close to all museums and attractions. Thank you for your wonderful comments! Thomas