“Just okay”

Ranked #7 of 76 Hotels in San Jose
Omaha, Nebraska
“Just okay”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed here with a friend from March 22-24th, the original plan was not to be at this hotel except to sleep, but not every vacation goes as planned. I ended up getting sick that weekend and it ruined the rest of the plans so my review would probably be better had we not spent so much time here. I'd reccommend this hotel if you are looking for a good price and don't plan on being there much. But it's definitely not luxury or anything if that's what you're looking for.

Here are some cons: Our room wasn't exactly clean upon arrival. Some trash on the floor and tables, and a cup of water with a cigarette butt still in our bathroom.Even though there's a huge no smoking plaque in the room, it definitely reeked of stale cigarette smoke. There was no a/c in our room. Also, we were in this little nook that had a courtyard/open air right outside. So don't ask me why the previous person in there was smoking inside the room. The only problem with this courtyard setup is that there are 2 other rooms in this nook. Since there is no a/c, we had to open the window for cool air so we got to listen to our neighbors. And sunday at 5am listening to children screaming/running in and out of the adjacent room was really great. Shutting the window does not help the noise. Also, I wasn't thrilled with the location except for it being located downtown.There is a bar across the street, and some grocery stores and shops just a few blocks away. But I didn't feel the greatest about the street we were on-kind of sketchy especially when it got dark. I also felt this way though at a different hotel in San Jose, so maybe it's just me, but I am a 23 year old girl.

Pros: It's a cool building, old and lots of character. They've got a pool, but we didn't check that out. The front desk is 24 hours, which was really nice. Had I not gotten sick, we were going to take a daytrip to see a volcano. The hotel has a bunch of trips they can help book for you. The guys working up front were always helpful to us, called us cabs several times, made us restaurant reservations. I forgot his name, but he also helped me a couple times to call a friend who had a local number there. There is hot water, the room was decently sized. Beds were comfortable, nothing amazing but I slept just fine. Also-located downtown if that's where you want to be. It is a 30 minute taxi ride from the airport.

Overall I'd reccomend this place if you're looking for a decent price and aren't planning on being there much. Also, the front desk is very helpful which could really make or break your trip.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor, I forgot the room number but its just down the hall from the fron...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Hi Victoria, Well as you said your sickness affected your review. That's too bad you had that occur during your travels. Lets just say your Pros section is really good and I thank you for that. I hope on your next trip, it will be a healthy one. Always a bummer to be sick traveling. Thomas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed here on the last night of our 2-week vacation before flying out early and had a mostly very positive experience. Hot tub and pool were great--hot tub nice and hot! Good location. Room was fine, but we had booked an upstairs room online for $10 more or so, and they put us in a downstairs room. I asked for either upstairs or partial refund, and was told I could have credit at the bar/restaurant. Fine with me since we planned to relax poolside while our kids played, but then it turned out that the offer was a 10% discount on credit card or 15% discount on cash purchases, so I would have had to spend around $100 to get my refund in full. I said this was not acceptable and they refunded and re-ran the card at the lower rate. Not a big deal, but it was a pain in the neck after a full day of travel on boats and buses with two kids--not what I wanted to deal with before hitting the pool.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Hola Heath M, We have lots of family's stay with us and enjoy the pool and restaurant. I am the person that received your call about the room difference and to be honest I did not even think about you having to spend $100.00 to make up for the difference. My mistake, I apologize, I was just trying to find a quick solution for your $10.00 dollar difference, jeez. Warmest Regards Thomas
Whitefish, Montana
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We had a great time in Costa Rica, and enjoyed the Hotel Santo Tomas a great deal! The owner, Thomas, was a gracious host, and the hotel was charming, clean, and we felt very safe. The kids had a ball playing in the pool, and we found an amazing corner bakery 3 blocks away. The food in the restaurant is very good, and the service is outstanding.

Room Tip: upstairs balcony rooms are worth the money.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Hola 6_Skiers, Wonderful review, Thank You ! Always great to have everyone enjoy themselves and leave with great memories of Costa Rica. That is what we always try to do, let you , relax, recharge and refresh before you leave! Again Great Review , Thank You - Thomas
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here the first and last night of our trip because of its proximity to the airport. It had an authentic Costa Rican look and feel. The staff were helpful and friendly. It was close within walking distance of markets, eateries and bars. We had a great experience here overall. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a place to stay in San Jose.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Zabe6
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Hi Zabe6, I have many , many clients do what you did and start and end their travels here at the Santo Tomas! We also assist them with all of their tour, travel and car rental needs as well. The rental cars will be delivered right here to the hotel and picked up as well , hows that for service! Very nice review, Thank You, Warmest Regards: Thomas
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

A superb hotel for exploring the city centre, an excellent location for sightseeing and really close to museums, parks, markets and in the middle of the hustle & bustle of downtown San Jose.
A lovely colonial styled hotel with a warm Costa Rican hospitality and very helpful staff.
An off road gated parking lot is included and a swimming pool with jacuzzi is most welcome after a days tramping around the city.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Hola Shaunt61, Wonderful to know you enjoyed the pool and hot tub at the end of the day. A cold tall, drink at Happy Hours with Adrian the bartender from 3 to 7 is always good! I have many couples stay with us and really enjoy the open garden areas and dinner, by the pool. Again Outstanding Review, Thank You , Thomas
Toronto, ON
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here on or first night in San Jose.

The hotel has its own gated parking lot which I didn't think much of at first but throughout the night as we heard windows being smashed we were thankful for it.

The room was a good size, the bathroom was large, the restaurant was okay, but the location was fantastic. It was only a couple blocks to the closest park and was less than a five minute walk to Central Ave where we spent the day walking, shopping, eating and watching street performers.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Christine U
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Hi Christine, Great title, love it. I don't really know what you heard , but it sounds strange to me, we don't have riots in the streets here and have never had, not one mass shooting, like some countries are having, sad to say. Yes you are correct we do have an excellent location and we assist many clients with their travels. Nice review , Thank You - Thomas
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Tucked in off of the street is a nice little oasis of hospitality. A European-style hotel the Santo Tomas is a fine place to stay while you are in the city of San Jose. If you rent a car, consider renting it from the hotel - they arrange delivery and pick-up. I spent four nights there while conducting business around the city and found everything I needed. The hotel staff is friendly and willing to serve and the owner (an ex-pat American) is available for advice and insight if you need it. Since he has lived in San Jose for more than 20 years, the advice is excellent!

I will return here again if business brings me back this way.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank carlosfrijoles
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Hola Carlosfrijoles, Wow , what a nice review. Thank You! It is always my pleasure to assist and all of my staff is trained to do the same. I think , this is one of the nicest reviews I have had in a long time. Great info for travelers searching for a great recommendation! Warmest Regards Thomas