“Great location”
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

Hotel Santo Tomas
Ranked #8 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Santo Tomas five nights. It is an old hotel with a lot of character. The location is great and I could walk to almost everyting I wanted to see in San Jose. I stayed one night, than took a tour, which they recommended. I was able to leave my luggage in a secure room while I took the overnight tour. The tour picked me up and dropped me off at the hotel entrance. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. There is a nice courtyard with a small pool, which I didn't get to use. I thought the food in the restaurant was a little overpriced. I ate there twice and it was very good. Breakfast is minimal but sufficient. The street looks rundown when the shops are closed; however there was never a time when I felt unsafe, and I was there alone. The hotel has a very secure/locked front gate. The hotel is located on a heavily traveled street, so there is street noise, which didn't bother me but may bother some people. If you are looking for a new, luxurious hotel than this is probably not the place for you. If you are looking for an old hotel with a lot of character, good beds, friendly staff, great location and a great price, than I would recommend this hotel to you. I would also recommend the public bus system. It costs less than $1 and will take you to any part of the city you want to go to.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Hi Joy, What a truly wonderful, concise and accurate review! I hope new perspective clients really read it, as you have just stated exactly what you receive at the hotel. No need for me to say any more except a Big Thank You !! Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed 28 April 2014

The staff were very friendly and helpful and the room, though a bit dated, was good and clean. It a bit annoying that you are constantly asked for tips with separate envelopes for reception staff and cleaners in the room, a breakfast place tip jar and signs up asking you to tip those carrying bags (though noone did carry ours). We always tip but feel that one tip jar at reception would be better. The area is a bit sketchy but otherwise quite centrally located. Breakfast overcooked and not good.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Hola Natlie Z, Good inexpensive hotel, that works, we have imporved on the pinto, yes one of my new staff members was not up to speed on his eggs, I apologize for that. Thank you for the review. Thomas

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Hotel Santo Tomas has a really nice interior. It's reasonably priced and the rooms are cute as well. Service was friendly and efficient, and thankfully they have 24-hour desk service because my boyfriend and I had to call a cab to the airport at 3:30 am. My only complaint would be the adjoining restaurant - service was friendly, but was way overpriced for the quality of the food we were served. Other than that, a lovely stay!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kristin H

Hola Kristin H., we have lots of couples stay with us and enjoy happy hours in the hot tub with a tall drink! The restaurant is not a soda and is located by the pool surrounded by gardens , so a quiet atmosphere has a small price, I will check on the food. We have a great front desk staff 24/7 , wonderful to know we were helpful . Thomas

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I stayed alone and with friends for a total of four nights. The owner and staff were, friendly, efficient and took great care of us and to assist us in all our onward arrangements as well as giving us valuable information about the city. The hotel had charm, was clean, had all the amenities we needed, the beds were comfortable and each room had its own character the food was good and the bar staff attentive and friendly. It might not look much from the outside but it's a gem, I will certainly visit again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Hi JeanD, Great review and wonderful to know we were able to more than meet your expectations. Fantastic you will visit again. Warmest regards Thomas

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed for two nights at Hotel Santo Tomas. We stayed the night of our arrival and the night before our early morning departure. The first night, we drove right by it because it was late and the neighborhood was a tad unsavory. We doubled back and went in to find a lovely colonial style hotel with beautiful rooms, a pretty fantastic pool for our kids (ages 9 and 10) and truly welcoming hotel managers! There is secured parking if you have a rental car that they will open up for you once you arrive and we felt very safe there. I would stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to my fellow travelers as well.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle G
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Hola Michelle G, Outstanding to know , again we have a happy family that has stayed with us. Also I have many single female travelers and lots of dental patients stay as well. You are correct it is 1908 colonial in the original home of almost 9000 sq. feet and the new upstairs annex is another nice addition, along with the floral garden areas and view terraces. Check out the hotels website for photos of that pool area your children enjoyed!
Cool spot to relax, recharge and refresh, before traveling on. Again Very nice review - Thank You so much : Thomas

Reviewed 23 April 2014

My wife and our two young daughters stayed at the Hotel Santo Tomas the night of our arrival in San Jose and again a week later on the night before we left to return home. We were comfortable and well cared for. The breakfast was great, and the children completely enjoyed the fine little swimming pool. There are lovely common places, upstairs and down, to sit and relax. The rooms were quite clean and the shower was strong and warm. As many guests have noted, the staff is very friendly and helpful. Recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Hola Mec C, Wonderful that you and your family enjoyed all of the facilities, that are in the Hotel We have many families stay and do just that, hang around the pool, enjoy Happy Hours from 3 to 7 in the nice hot jacuzzi or sit in some of the open air terraces or patios and surf the fast free WI-fi. There is no other Downtown San Jose hotel that has all of these amenities ! Great Review and Happy Trails to you and family: Thomas

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed at the Santo Tomas for 3 nights in March. The room was large and had the 3 most important ingredients for us. Comfortable bed, good shower and cool for sleeping. Owner was very hands-on and very much in evidence. Staff helpful and breakfast okay. Hot tub was lovely! Hotel was also nice & quiet.
Very nice.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Hola Midlifer, Great review, Thank You ! You nailed three of the most important items for most clients. Happy Travels, Warmest Regards: Thomas