“Charming hotel....noisy guests”

Ranked #8 of 84 Hotels in San Jose
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
“Charming hotel....noisy guests”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We only stayed here one night at the end of our week long trip to La Fortuna so we would be much closer to the airport.
So yes, this place is difficult to find. There is a clearly marked sign but if you have your own car you will drive past the parking entrance gate and will have to loop around. It is always shut so you have to block traffic and wait for them to open it.
The hotel is super charming and the front desk is very helpful and very nice.
There is no air conditioning but the nights are nice and cool so all you really need is the sliding door open....and ear plugs.
Beware of a pool side room! The other guests during our stay were very loud and very obnoxious. Jumping in and out of the pool, yelling, laughing, and carrying on. Then I looked later and it was the BARTENDER trying to pick up two young women. He was the one being loud! We couldn't shut the slider because it would be too hot.
I literally needed to put in ear plugs to fall asleep.
The architecture is very beautiful and is kept very clean. The locked gates for both the hotel and parking is very assuring. I just wish I could've gotten sleep before our long trip home back to the states.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Hi nhanson, Thank you for your review. We have clear instructions on our reservations from about the parking and how it works, sorry you missed it. Great to know you found the property super charming, very clean and the front desk staff helpful and nice, very important qualities. The pool and restaurant area closes at 10 pm, not so late, sorry there was noise and I will be speaking with my bartender today about his behavior, thank you for that input. By the way, I always travel with ear plugs, just a good item to carry when you travel! Warmest Regards Thomas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here a lot but this time I was told I was given an upgrade and received a room far away in the corner. Traveling with my wife and baby I wonder if this was why? There was only one bed and I asked for two so we wouldn't be so crowded. This is my first bad experience. I hope it isn't the norm now.
This has always been a pleasant great place to stay.

Stayed May 2014
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Hi William, Thanks for being a regular guest, you having a baby has nothing to do with where we placed you . It sounds like you reserved the economy room and we gave you a free upgrade, something nice. As we have five different room types your best bet is to reserve the deluxe twin downstairs the next time. A few dollars more than the economy room, but hey the same thing happened to me when I had children and then again when they turned 12 and can't stay for free! Ouch , it does cost to raise children! Warmest regards Thomas
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We were extremely happy with Hotel Santo Tomas and found it a great way to begin our time in Costa Rica. Mostly because the hotel staff and owner were so welcoming and really made us feel right at home from the moment we arrived. The location is great if you're looking to be near the city center - a few blocks walk to all the downtown attractions, but on a quiet street so you can enjoy the nice courtyard with pool, hot tub, gym, and bar, and of course get a peaceful night's sleep. This isn't a Marriott - it's small, feels a little vintage, and our room did have a bit of a mildew smell (though our friend's room did not), but the place was clean and comfortable to us. The owner built the place himself using locally sourced vintage materials and it just has a great character. He takes a lot of pride in his hotel and the service. We really appreciate this kind of personal experience. We stayed at another, more expensive local hotel on our last night in San Jose before departing the country (as we had already booked the room in advance), and we wished we had returned to Santo Tomas instead.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CarrieandJake
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Hola Carrieandjake, Wow very nice review , Thank You ! You have described the place nicely and next time we will try to place you in the new annex upstairs , great rooms and sitting areas. Again thank you for the wonderful review. Thomas
Warsaw
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed at the hotel twice during my stay in Costa Rica.

Overall seamed like clean...but rooms rather old. However, was very surprised when I saw a cockroach on my foot. After I killed it, went to the reception and did not get much help. I killed another one in the morning before I checked out!

As I had paid for my next stay already a week later, I was offered an upgrade to a newer room and free parking. When I arrived, I did get a newer room, but with only one window facing the hallway ! Several other rooms had the same option.

Place was difficult to find in the evening, so watch out.

Breakfast in the morning really basic.

Would not stay again.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms....
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Bart12_Warsaw
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Hi Bart12, I have had a chance to investigate your comments thru, interviewing all my staff, video footage of the front desk lobby and here is what I determined. You stayed two days in room number 2. You booked our least expensive in the hotel and we double upgraded you for free to a large room with two queen sized beds even though you were a solo traveler. We have no record in our front desk ledger or video of you going the night before, we would have gladly moved you then. That is my standard policy. Out of the other 540 reviews, there may be one about insects, so I find your strange. We do have a professional service every 3 months come in to spray. The next morning when you spoke to Miguel , he right away gave you the freebies. Experienced travelers know this is the easiest way for extra perks and I urge potentical clients to review a commenter's profile. I noticed that over 12 percent of your reviews are poor or terrible. I do appreciate your comments, thank you . Thomas
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Good Hotel, charming and nice rooms. Reception staff Miguel, Ricardo and Mauricio are great, Miguel is a very thoughtful person, helped me with everything I needed and Mauricio very helpful as well. Ricardo speaks very good English and gives good suggestions no complaints about them are the best of the Hotel. The worst thing about this hotel is the restaurant, it's way too expensive and serve the same food as other restaurants nearby, breakfast is poor, Gallo pinto is not good, has no taste and very little portion. I talked to Thomas and he said it is free and outside it will cost $8, but is not free I paid for it with my room night, but I will around I can get better breakfast for $ 4 or $ 5 around the hotel, this is not good for customers, and as I have seen many comments about breakfast and meals, I think this is something that should be improve, we must never lose quality and this hotel is been losing quality on this way. Besides that hotel cleaning and bed quality is still good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Hi Anna, Thanks for your comments. We don't use pork fat as Costa Ricans do and we don't add too much salt or heavy spices as we are religious and health conscious for our elder clients. Yes we have improved the pinto and I urge guests to try some of the fine sauces we have available to add to the pinto to liven it up. Anna what you don't mention is that you don't get a bottomless cup of coffee, two fresh made juices, toast and jam and a small fruit plate in those sodas for 4 bucks. You receive pinto, two tortillas and eggs, coffee, juice, toast and fruit plate extra. Add those items in to your bill. I apologize I could not give you a champagne experience on a beer budget. Warmest Regards Thomas
Galveston Island, Texas
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Very nice room with good price. Staff very helpful. Water very hot. Downstairs rooms much quieter than up. Will stay again.
...........................................................................................................................................................

• Stayed May 2014
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Hi Tunafish12, Love your name, great short review, look forward to your visit again! Thank You so much: Thomas
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Very clean place. Rooms were clean and the water was hot. Gets nice and cold at night despite the lack of a/c. I ate a chx club sammich at the house restaurant. Maybe a little heavier on the papas? It was better than I expected. Met the owner on the way out very willing to accommodate travelers.

• Stayed May 2014
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Hi Google_Building7_, Very nice review, thank you, Clean rooms and hot water pretty important to a traveler ! Safe Journey: Thomas