“GREAT LOCATION”
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

Hotel Santo Tomas
Ranked #7 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights(May 6-8th,2014) The hotel is clean and the staff very helpful.
Breakfast was simple but filling. We thought the beer was too expensive, 4$ a bottle, unless you're there for happy hour. A fridge in the rooms is really needed. The meals at the restaurant were overpriced and need improvement.
The hotel is very quaint. The money exchangers at the airport really short change you so use the ones in town. The banks gave us the best rate.

1  Thank 1travellers1
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Hi 1Travlers1, Thank you for the review, yes we do have a great location. Only four blocks from central avenue, but at the top of the city , before it steeply goes down to avenue 11, a real plus if you are a bit older or have a physical problem. All money exchange services in the world at airports give a poor rate. You are paying for a service, just like having a nice quiet dinner by the swimming pool, been in the jacuzzi and not across the street in the noisy , open to the bus fumes soda or bar which is loaded with pork fat and salt , tasty yes, kosher and healthy no. Hey what can I say. Again Thank You , Thomas

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed 7 nights in Hotel Santo Tomas on our visit to Costa Rica.
Although Hotel Santo Tomas is not located in the most scenic part of San Jose, we felt safe walking around the area.
The location is in walking distance to San Jose City center.

Our upstair room was specious and clean with a TV, sitting area and a "safe" which was a night stand with a lock. The bathroom was nice with a very good shower with plenty of hot water; there is also a hair dryer and soap but no shampoo etc.

There are several very nice sitting areas, a small pool and Jacuzzi. The hotel is much nicer inside as you might think from looking at the ourside.

The hotel restaurant is in our opinion the only place which needs improvement including breakfast, we also found the choice of restaurants around Santo Tomas (not counting fast food) very limited and most close early around 8 - 8.30 pm. A mini refrigerator in the room would have been perfect!!

The front desk staff was very nice and helpful, we booked several tours through Santo Tomas and all were very good with timely pick up from the hotel.

Compared with other capitols, San Jose is not a pretty city, it lacks character but the people are very friendly. Costa Rica however is beautiful and there is much to see and explore.

ATM's are at the airport near the bagage claim, so is money exchange. A taxi from the airport to hotel Santo Tomas will cost $28-30 and can be paid in US Dollars, use the orange airport taxis.

Don't forget to pay the airport tax when you depart, $29 per person.
We also used "Costa Rican Trails" as our tour company, they were very proffesional and on time.

1  Thank flyingdutchmanblue

Hola Flyingdutchmanblue, Thank you for the very nice review, We were happy to have assisted you and family with some of your tour planning while here in Costa Rica. Many visitors stay in the hotel for several nights and do just what you did , taking some of the many day tours we offer. Pickup and drop off is right at the hotels front door, very convenient. The companies we work with all do a very good job. Again Thank You , Warmest Regards Thoma

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed here from 4/24/14 to 4/29/14 I had a great time the owner Thomas is very nice and helpful he lend me his personal cell phone so I can make a long distance phone call. Miguel was helpful and nice he told me about the city. Ricardo, Jose Mauricio and Eliomar were good people to talk to. The maid kept my room clean everyday with new towels and sheets. The bartender was friendly he wasn't loud when I was there I am going back probably in October

Room Tip: room 32 is a good balcony view room
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Hola Emmanuel, Great meeting you and I really enjoyed our conversation about Boston, your home town! I will make sure my staff sees you comments, it's always nice when they are remembered by name. Looking forward to seeing you in Oct. Thank You so much for the excellent review, Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We only stayed here one night at the end of our week long trip to La Fortuna so we would be much closer to the airport.
So yes, this place is difficult to find. There is a clearly marked sign but if you have your own car you will drive past the parking entrance gate and will have to loop around. It is always shut so you have to block traffic and wait for them to open it.
The hotel is super charming and the front desk is very helpful and very nice.
There is no air conditioning but the nights are nice and cool so all you really need is the sliding door open....and ear plugs.
Beware of a pool side room! The other guests during our stay were very loud and very obnoxious. Jumping in and out of the pool, yelling, laughing, and carrying on. Then I looked later and it was the BARTENDER trying to pick up two young women. He was the one being loud! We couldn't shut the slider because it would be too hot.
I literally needed to put in ear plugs to fall asleep.
The architecture is very beautiful and is kept very clean. The locked gates for both the hotel and parking is very assuring. I just wish I could've gotten sleep before our long trip home back to the states.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Hi nhanson, Thank you for your review. We have clear instructions on our reservations from about the parking and how it works, sorry you missed it. Great to know you found the property super charming, very clean and the front desk staff helpful and nice, very important qualities. The pool and restaurant area closes at 10 pm, not so late, sorry there was noise and I will be speaking with my bartender today about his behavior, thank you for that input. By the way, I always travel with ear plugs, just a good item to carry when you travel! Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here a lot but this time I was told I was given an upgrade and received a room far away in the corner. Traveling with my wife and baby I wonder if this was why? There was only one bed and I asked for two so we wouldn't be so crowded. This is my first bad experience. I hope it isn't the norm now.
This has always been a pleasant great place to stay.

Stayed: May 2014

Hi William, Thanks for being a regular guest, you having a baby has nothing to do with where we placed you . It sounds like you reserved the economy room and we gave you a free upgrade, something nice. As we have five different room types your best bet is to reserve the deluxe twin downstairs the next time. A few dollars more than the economy room, but hey the same thing happened to me when I had children and then again when they turned 12 and can't stay for free! Ouch , it does cost to raise children! Warmest regards Thomas

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We were extremely happy with Hotel Santo Tomas and found it a great way to begin our time in Costa Rica. Mostly because the hotel staff and owner were so welcoming and really made us feel right at home from the moment we arrived. The location is great if you're looking to be near the city center - a few blocks walk to all the downtown attractions, but on a quiet street so you can enjoy the nice courtyard with pool, hot tub, gym, and bar, and of course get a peaceful night's sleep. This isn't a Marriott - it's small, feels a little vintage, and our room did have a bit of a mildew smell (though our friend's room did not), but the place was clean and comfortable to us. The owner built the place himself using locally sourced vintage materials and it just has a great character. He takes a lot of pride in his hotel and the service. We really appreciate this kind of personal experience. We stayed at another, more expensive local hotel on our last night in San Jose before departing the country (as we had already booked the room in advance), and we wished we had returned to Santo Tomas instead.

1  Thank CarrieandJake

Hola Carrieandjake, Wow very nice review , Thank You ! You have described the place nicely and next time we will try to place you in the new annex upstairs , great rooms and sitting areas. Again thank you for the wonderful review. Thomas

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed at the hotel twice during my stay in Costa Rica.

Overall seamed like clean...but rooms rather old. However, was very surprised when I saw a cockroach on my foot. After I killed it, went to the reception and did not get much help. I killed another one in the morning before I checked out!

As I had paid for my next stay already a week later, I was offered an upgrade to a newer room and free parking. When I arrived, I did get a newer room, but with only one window facing the hallway ! Several other rooms had the same option.

Place was difficult to find in the evening, so watch out.

Breakfast in the morning really basic.

Would not stay again.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms....
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Bart12_Warsaw

Hi Bart12, I have had a chance to investigate your comments thru, interviewing all my staff, video footage of the front desk lobby and here is what I determined. You stayed two days in room number 2. You booked our least expensive in the hotel and we double upgraded you for free to a large room with two queen sized beds even though you were a solo traveler. We have no record in our front desk ledger or video of you going the night before, we would have gladly moved you then. That is my standard policy. Out of the other 540 reviews, there may be one about insects, so I find your strange. We do have a professional service every 3 months come in to spray. The next morning when you spoke to Miguel , he right away gave you the freebies. Experienced travelers know this is the easiest way for extra perks and I urge potentical clients to review a commenter's profile. I noticed that over 12 percent of your reviews are poor or terrible. I do appreciate your comments, thank you . Thomas