“Great place to stay!”
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

Hotel Santo Tomas
Ranked #7 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I recently stayed here and had a great experience!! They staff was very friendly and helpful in planning activities. The place was spotlessly clean and the breakfast was one of our favorites in all of Costa Rica!! Oh and the coffee was amazing... the first time in my life I was able to drink coffee with NO cream or sweetener and enjoy it (Tomas told us to trick in how he brews it)! The hotel owner, Tomas, graciously greets and gets to know his guests!! He sat down and chatted with us at breakfast, giving us great tips on things to see and places to go- not just in San Jose but to the other places we were traveling. He even told us to call anytime after we left if we had any questions!! The location was great too, it was in perfect walking distance of all the major sites and downtown and there is even a delicious Colombian restaurant across the street (follow your nose) and a great non-touristy shop (Galería Namu) just up the street for amazing fair trade souvenirs. I'm so glad we stayed at Hotel Santo Tomas and would recommended it to anyone!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Hi Julie, Fun time chatting with you and your husband and showing how fresh , good brewed coffee needs nothing added, just saved you lots of dollars on milk and sugar in the coming years! Costa Rica coffee will spoil you. Just a lovely review and can't beat those five green dots you have given us, Thank You both so much. Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We visited Costa Rica for 7 days. We only stayed at Hotel Santo Tomas for our last 2 days of our trip. Staff were very polite and accommodating. Rooms are very comfortable. The place is centralized close to El Mercado Central and other nice areas to visit. Highly recommend if staying in San Jose.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Alfredo, Wonderful having you and your friends stay with us. Many clients stay several days enjoying the sights and letting us arrange some of the many days tours available or over night tours to other parts of the country. We have been doing it for almost 25 years and know the ins and outs of Costa Rica. Nice review, Thank You so much . Thomas

Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and son stayed at Hotel Santo Tomas from July 23 to July 30. I chose this hotel for them from the reviews and research I did.
They were totally blown away with the facility. They loved the local look of the facility. Said the staff were very accommodating and friendly.
It was very close to everything they were seeing in San Jose. They also used one of the day trips available at the hotel and thought it was outstanding.
There were no complaints. People who have small complaints need to realize they are in another country and food and other amenities are what they have in that particular country.
I do tours and plan to offer a tour to Costa Rica to students and others in 2015. This will be the place I use. If you want local flavour, stay away from national chains. I prefer the local restaurants, lodging, etc., when I am traveling to other countries.
It was a hit with my husband and son!

Room Tip: I don't know what to say about rooms. The room my husband and son had was with two queen beds...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Hola Fooded, Wow, what a great review and coming from a travel professional! Looking forward to working with you and your travel group in the future. A special Thank You for your comments about clients picking apart the little things, you travel to a new destination to have an experience , see it that way and you'll have a much better vacation, then if you pass judgment on everything! Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed at Santo Tomas for a couple of nights. The rooms were comfortable but the building is old and not very well insulated so it gets a little loud in the mornings. That being said, I enjoyed my stay and felt that the quality/price ratio was excellent and the staff was nice.
While this doesn't exactly pertain to the hotel itself, I booked a shuttle to Arenal/Fortuna from the front desk and was told it was like Interbus which costs exactly the same... This was completely false, it was a tour company bus that stopped 10x to pick up passengers before heading to Sarchi for another 30 minute stop and explanations over microphone the entire way to la Fortuna. Not what I wanted after a night out looking forward to a nice nap on the shuttle. Please inform people of what they're paying for and that it takes 1.5 hours longer than a regular shuttle next time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Hola 27Mathieu, Good review , Thank You for that. The front desk receptionist, was new and placed you on a service , we don't normally use. He has since been terminated as he did not achieve the standards I require from my staff. I genuinely apologize for that and hope you will allow us to make amends with you in a future stay. We do only use Interbus, Greyline, private taxis or assist clients to take the public bus. Again sorry about that. Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

This property was recommended to me by my dental office. It is a comfortable, clean and friendly old colonial , centrally located and within walking distance to everything in Centro. Free wifi and breakfast. No coffee pot in room.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank kipukatrading

Hi Kipkatrading, Lots of dental clients stay with us and fit in day tours during their dental visits when the schedule permits. I do have a great coffee machine in the lobby, made in Italy that grinds the beans at the moments you get a cup of coffee, the hot chocolate is really good also, 24/7! Safe travel Thomas

Reviewed 21 July 2014

this Hotel is a really nice place in the centre of San Jose. The US American owner, Tomas, has put a lot of thought and energy into the renovation and extension of the hotel. I stayed there with a friend and we shared a nice big room with 2 queen size beds. The restaurant in the Hotel is good as well - food is decent nd the service is great. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a few days stay in San Jose!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hi Johann, Your Title ( Grand Hotel in San Jose ) is Great! The rest of your comments are outstanding as well, thank you so much. Many Europeans such as your self, arrive and stay the first three or four days adjusting and making travel plans, taking a few of our days tours, such as rafting, Combo Poas Volcano, Tortuguerro and letting us assist with information and car rental arrangements. All of my staff 24/7 have been trained to assist. We are here to help! Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Santo Tomas which is a Small Boutique Hotel in San Jose Costa Rica. We arrived on June 29th 2014. I cannot tell you how thrilled I was to spend my first two nights here also my wife and I found it to be just right for our travel needs. We were traveling to Costa Rica for our first time to celebrate our 20th anniversary. At first when you pull up to the outside of this property you do see what is common for business’s in this area; from the outside your first impression may mislead you from the beautiful interior of this property which used to belong to a coffee baron from what I understand it was his home. For those who desires safe, quiet and clean accommodations in San Jose this is an ideal location where you can certainly spend days shopping, enjoying the many parks and museums in this area. We were fortunate enough to arrive the day that Costa Rica faced Greece in the FIFIA football world cup tournament. We cannot say enough about our experience here and loved our bartender Andre and his wife. The chef was excellent and you have to try the Ceviche and I had the Sea Bass as my main course which was excellent. Costa Rica won this game in OT and the place and streets went wild. Please forgive the pictures since they were taken with an iPhone. We chose this property because of its review on TripAdvisor and I found the property to be everything I expected; from the spacious clean room to the excellent staff and management. Do not get me wrong this is not a 5 star property but if you want to experience the true Costa Rica and be in a safe clean place this is the place for you. Oh I forgot to mention the delicious free breakfast. Although we arrived on the weekend on Tuesday we met the owner William Thomas Douglas who was very interested in how we were getting along and our comfort during our stay. He was helpful in his advice about our future destinations and advised us we could call him if we needed assistance or help during our time in Costa Rica. As a former business owner and travel professional I found this to be very impressive indeed. I would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend or family member who is not looking for a resort style property and wants a true flavor of the area. We were just four or five blocks from the theater and major shopping areas. Will return again if in San Jose.

Room Tip: Ask for an Upstairs room. We loved ours!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Hi Kris M, Wow what a review, thank you for taking the time and effort for such nice comments about everything you both experienced here . That is what we want our clients to have , an outstanding location, to rest, refresh and recharge! As travel professionals your opinion goes a long way. Love those high scores and we will continue to try and fill all of those green dots! Safe Travels: Thomas