“Charming hotel with central location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

Hotel Santo Tomas
Ranked #7 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
Michigan
“Charming hotel with central location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in room #10 for one night's stay. The room was quaint and clean. Lovely high ceilings with a ceiling fan to move air around. The bed was extremely comfortable with plenty of bedding which was great since I became chilled after being out in the rain.
There is a small pool with an elevated hot tub complete with a tiled water slide to the cooler pool at the bottom. The hotel was quiet. I had an inside room so I didn't hear any street noise. The is wi-Fi for free as well as breakfast included in the morning. They also arrange tours but I didn't take advantage of that service. There is a computer to use as well as a small selection of reading material.

The hotel is only four blocks from the National Theater and the Museum of Precolumbian Gold. Many places to eat on the way both Costa Rican and the typical fast food joints.

Stayed August 2014
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Hi Traversecity, Fantastic review you have given us , Thank You, you stayed in one of the original rooms and at around $52.00 US per night including a hot cooked breakfast not bad. Lots of clients do spend just a few dollars more and stay in the new section upstairs enjoying the views and lovely sitting areas. Again nice review , Thank You , Thomas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Mooresville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I recently stayed here and had a great experience!! They staff was very friendly and helpful in planning activities. The place was spotlessly clean and the breakfast was one of our favorites in all of Costa Rica!! Oh and the coffee was amazing... the first time in my life I was able to drink coffee with NO cream or sweetener and enjoy it (Tomas told us to trick in how he brews it)! The hotel owner, Tomas, graciously greets and gets to know his guests!! He sat down and chatted with us at breakfast, giving us great tips on things to see and places to go- not just in San Jose but to the other places we were traveling. He even told us to call anytime after we left if we had any questions!! The location was great too, it was in perfect walking distance of all the major sites and downtown and there is even a delicious Colombian restaurant across the street (follow your nose) and a great non-touristy shop (Galería Namu) just up the street for amazing fair trade souvenirs. I'm so glad we stayed at Hotel Santo Tomas and would recommended it to anyone!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi Julie, Fun time chatting with you and your husband and showing how fresh , good brewed coffee needs nothing added, just saved you lots of dollars on milk and sugar in the coming years! Costa Rica coffee will spoil you. Just a lovely review and can't beat those five green dots you have given us, Thank You both so much. Warmest Regards Thomas
Ontario, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We visited Costa Rica for 7 days. We only stayed at Hotel Santo Tomas for our last 2 days of our trip. Staff were very polite and accommodating. Rooms are very comfortable. The place is centralized close to El Mercado Central and other nice areas to visit. Highly recommend if staying in San Jose.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hi Alfredo, Wonderful having you and your friends stay with us. Many clients stay several days enjoying the sights and letting us arrange some of the many days tours available or over night tours to other parts of the country. We have been doing it for almost 25 years and know the ins and outs of Costa Rica. Nice review, Thank You so much . Thomas
Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and son stayed at Hotel Santo Tomas from July 23 to July 30. I chose this hotel for them from the reviews and research I did.
They were totally blown away with the facility. They loved the local look of the facility. Said the staff were very accommodating and friendly.
It was very close to everything they were seeing in San Jose. They also used one of the day trips available at the hotel and thought it was outstanding.
There were no complaints. People who have small complaints need to realize they are in another country and food and other amenities are what they have in that particular country.
I do tours and plan to offer a tour to Costa Rica to students and others in 2015. This will be the place I use. If you want local flavour, stay away from national chains. I prefer the local restaurants, lodging, etc., when I am traveling to other countries.
It was a hit with my husband and son!

Room Tip: I don't know what to say about rooms. The room my husband and son had was with two queen beds...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hola Fooded, Wow, what a great review and coming from a travel professional! Looking forward to working with you and your travel group in the future. A special Thank You for your comments about clients picking apart the little things, you travel to a new destination to have an experience , see it that way and you'll have a much better vacation, then if you pass judgment on everything! Warmest Regards Thomas
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed at Santo Tomas for a couple of nights. The rooms were comfortable but the building is old and not very well insulated so it gets a little loud in the mornings. That being said, I enjoyed my stay and felt that the quality/price ratio was excellent and the staff was nice.
While this doesn't exactly pertain to the hotel itself, I booked a shuttle to Arenal/Fortuna from the front desk and was told it was like Interbus which costs exactly the same... This was completely false, it was a tour company bus that stopped 10x to pick up passengers before heading to Sarchi for another 30 minute stop and explanations over microphone the entire way to la Fortuna. Not what I wanted after a night out looking forward to a nice nap on the shuttle. Please inform people of what they're paying for and that it takes 1.5 hours longer than a regular shuttle next time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hola 27Mathieu, Good review , Thank You for that. The front desk receptionist, was new and placed you on a service , we don't normally use. He has since been terminated as he did not achieve the standards I require from my staff. I genuinely apologize for that and hope you will allow us to make amends with you in a future stay. We do only use Interbus, Greyline, private taxis or assist clients to take the public bus. Again sorry about that. Warmest Regards Thomas
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

This property was recommended to me by my dental office. It is a comfortable, clean and friendly old colonial , centrally located and within walking distance to everything in Centro. Free wifi and breakfast. No coffee pot in room.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank kipukatrading
Hi Kipkatrading, Lots of dental clients stay with us and fit in day tours during their dental visits when the schedule permits. I do have a great coffee machine in the lobby, made in Italy that grinds the beans at the moments you get a cup of coffee, the hot chocolate is really good also, 24/7! Safe travel Thomas
Muhlheim am Main, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

this Hotel is a really nice place in the centre of San Jose. The US American owner, Tomas, has put a lot of thought and energy into the renovation and extension of the hotel. I stayed there with a friend and we shared a nice big room with 2 queen size beds. The restaurant in the Hotel is good as well - food is decent nd the service is great. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a few days stay in San Jose!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Hi Johann, Your Title ( Grand Hotel in San Jose ) is Great! The rest of your comments are outstanding as well, thank you so much. Many Europeans such as your self, arrive and stay the first three or four days adjusting and making travel plans, taking a few of our days tours, such as rafting, Combo Poas Volcano, Tortuguerro and letting us assist with information and car rental arrangements. All of my staff 24/7 have been trained to assist. We are here to help! Warmest Regards Thomas