Lowest prices for your stay
Fully refundable before Thu, 25 Apr
Violet-grace
London, United Kingdom
Interesting
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 9 Feb 2019via mobile
We stayed for three nights as a base for day tripping. Volcanoes are very accessible from the Tostito’s.
The room was lovely with very high ceilings and lovely tiles on the floor
and the staff are very friendly and helpful.
Date of stay: February 2019Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2.0 miles from Santo Tomas Hotel & Wellness Center
Pool
View more hotels in San Jose
1,214 results
All reviews costa rica hot tub old house ceiling fan few blocks charming hotel heart of san jose rental car secure parking national theatre downtown area rice and beans thomas santa tours country oasis
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 February 2019

Arrived in the wee hours as flight delayed due to bad weather. Quite a jaunt from the airport. Night staff greeted us and helped with luggage. Found out our reservation messed up even though we had booked thru the Hotel Web Site. We had confirmation of two rooms one with a cot. We were directed to one room with two beds for 5 of us ...three adults two kids!. We had to straighten it out and get another room.

The big room the kids and I shared on the street side main floor was very smelly, musty. Can't open windows as they are about 10 feet up at the ceiling so no view to outisde. Exhausted we went to bed... very comfortable beds!

Bathroom average with the shower leaking on the floor no matter what you did with the shower curtain. If you stay here ask for the garden rooms which have screens in the windows and a lovely view. (They put in the "cot" the next day. This caused much hilarity cuz it was for an 8 year old and we got a play pen. Cot in Spanish appears to be crib. Kids got quite a kick out of that and used it as a reading spot.)

Next morning staff helped us open windows which was a BIG improvement. Lovely hidden garden where breakfast is served in a covered space. Cereal, Toast, pastries and egg dishes offered along with fresh fruit. Service friendly. Coffee was really bad as was the tea. There is a great little coffee shop down the street with a huge cactus beside it you can't miss it, only it opens later in the day unfortunately. Bringing your own tea and instant coffee highly recommended. There is always a kettle boiling during breakfast hours..

It was surprisingly chilly so didn't use the pool .. the hot tub was great fun. There is a sun room high up which is rather cool and the landscaping is really nice. Property is well secured as it is in a dicey area. Would not recommend going out alone or too late at night, Even as a family we were approached a number of times by those going to help us?!

Well located to explore the Museum and the surrounding area.. Suggest skip the Artisan Market cuz there is nothing hand made.. you will find these items all over Costa Rica at a better price.

Very good recommendations for eating out. Thank you Omar! El Patio Dell Balmoral in the pedestrian only street was perfect for the kids with pasta and pizza available.

Rented a Thirfty car which was had a branch close to the Hotel. Very handy.

Would have given a Three Star except when at our next hotel discovered we had left some winter wear clothing behind, sweat shirt, TShirt, jeans.. Our Tree Houses Manager kindly called Hotel Santo Thomas to retrieve them as we could have picked them up on our return trip to San Jose for the flight home.

Very confusing telephone conversation ... something about if we gave permission the items were given? ... they could not find them...that was it?! They were asked what the Lost and Found Policy was, unknown.

Anyways on returning home a few days later, sent two emails, one thru the Hotel Web Site and after no reply sent another one using the reply on the original confirmation of our reservation. Offered a reward and mailing costs for return of the items... not even the courtesy of a reply. I hope someone enjoys wearing my SUPERNOVAPLASMAJET TShirt! It was special. Had that layered summer look on arrive back in TO. in the freezing cold.

Next Stop Costa Rica Tree Houses WOW

Room tip: Ask for a garden view room on the main floor.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
AdvisorHST, Manager at Santo Tomas Hotel & Wellness Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2019

Hi Nitto, yes, I do remember your reservation it was for one room for 5 people, where our reservations form clearly states only 4 to a room. Normally only hostels place five adults in a single room. We were lucky enough ( running full ) to have the extra room number 7 which we made available to you . We thought you had a small baby for the fifth person and had planned to place the crib there. We also placed you in room number 8 the biggest room in the hotel , which is also the handicap room and as such the shower is configured that way. We have items left every day in the hotel and we always do our best to manage them. I just personally returned credit cards, social security card and other items left in the safe to a client in the US. I called him twice on my own tab and DHL him his items. And over the past 29 years we have returned hundreds of items. I apologize this did not happen in your case, but rest assured , my staff does not need to steal any left-over items in the hotel. When I travel, I personally check the room fully before checking out. I am happy to know that you did enjoy the Free Hot Cooked Breakfast for the five of you along with Free Fast Reliable Internet everywhere and that my staff assisted you with your baggage and many other requests you had, I would say very good customer service there. Seems like everything else was great and I am so happy that at least we have thousands of other wonderful reviews that our potential travelers may be able to see as well. Again I apologize to you .
Thomas

Reviewed 27 January 2019

I really can't say enough good things about this hotel. As a solo female traveler in Costa Rica for the first time, I wanted a place centrally located but also safe, friendly and not sketchy. Hotel Santo Tomas was all that and so much more! It's really a hidden gem, and that's because of the amazing kindness and attention of the people who work here. The front desk and breakfast making staff, as well as the housekeeping and everyone else, are always smiling and greeting me with warmth that I appreciated. Any question I had, the front desk staff answered cheerfully -helping me with directions, finding food or an ATM, etc. There's an excellent and affordable massage service that was so good that I got two of them. The other guests staying here are also friendly and easy to talk to. The bed is super comfortable, water very hot. I felt "taken care of" during every moment of my stay. The location is really nice - walking distance to everything in downtown (although several locals recommended as a single woman not to walk around this neighborhood at night). This place is great, and I recommend it to anyone who doesn't want a more sterile chain-hotel experience, more of a local feeling experience, but also wants cleanliness, safety and just a really good feeling of "Pura Vida." Thank you, Hotel Santo Tomas!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank murphymonica123
AdvisorHST, Manager at Santo Tomas Hotel & Wellness Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2019

Hi MurphyMonicia, What a wonderful, well written review ! I will make sure all of my staff sees your outstanding comments. We have lots of single travelers stay with us and the idea is that everyone feels at home.
Thank you so much !
Thomas, Heidy & All Staff

Reviewed 14 January 2019

My boyfriend and I stayed 2 nights at Santo Tomas hotel. It is centrally located which is nice, the room are large and quiet (window in the hallway, not in the street though) and the personal is extremely nice and friendly. Secure parking on site is a plus

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Manager at Santo Tomas Hotel & Wellness Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2019

Hi Louloo-u, Yes, we are located on Avenue 7 only 4 blocks north of Central avenue. A very easy, short walk to most attractions and there are lots of places to eat very close by as well. Most major bus stations, 7-10, Caribe, Coca Cola, Alfaro, Tica Bus, and many others also an easy walk. Looking forward to your return and thank you for such a nice review !
Thomas,, Heidy & Staff

Reviewed 7 January 2019

Great location, staff (the owner Thomas is awesome and Omar), breakfast, and HOT TUB. I stayed here for two nights this January and had a great experience here in Santo Thomas.... it's a great choice!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
AdvisorHST, General Manager at Santo Tomas Hotel & Wellness Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2019

Hola LarkinLynch, Thank you for naming our staff, it is so important they know they are appreciated. Yes, we are located on avenue seven only four blocks from avenue central and many of the attraction are within an easy. A nice soak in that tub after a long flight is just the thing to do. Outstanding having you stay and look forward to you return.
Thank you very much for the review and five green dots!
Thomas

Reviewed 13 December 2018

I loved the view the scenery the open space everything was provided. I COULD NOT BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEATHE. You will absolutely love it here. Anything you need at your fingertips. Amazing service. Cheap nights and so much fun and tourism.

Room tip: Choose a room with a good price and a good view.
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
AdvisorHST, Manager at Santo Tomas Hotel & Wellness Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2019

Hi YaGirl, I must apologize for answering so late, I had the wrong setting loaded on my management page and did not see your posting until now. It is just so rewarding when our guests truly appreciate and enjoy what we have here. I will be sure all of my staff sees your wonderful comments and we look so forward to your return.
Thank You so much for !!