With really high expectations I booked a couple of nights on this hotel, I found goods/average things and really bad things, the list is as follows (I really hope this is useful as reference for other tourists):
- At our arrival, nobody to help with the luggage, even when there were a couple of persons from the hotel outside nobody seem to care
- At the front desk while the check in, no smiling, not even a welcome script, nothing! This supposed to be standard on a 5 star hotel
- Internet could be "free" if you talk to the front desk and ask for one of their vouchers for 1 and up to 3 day stay, but take in mind that the speed on this scenario is limited, I measured 0.5 MB download and upload of 0.2MB, so enough for Whatsapp and Facebook, not enough for business or VOIP or else, I ended up paying for what is supposed to be high speed for 20 USD for 2 days but how dissapointed I was when I connect and got only 1.5MB download, how bad this is!!!!, if I'm paying 10-12 USd pernight I would expect something better, but I guess it has to be something at country level because i had similar issues at Flamingo Beach and other places.
- Room is clean, with carpet, feels old fashion
- Pool looks nice, but when you touch the water and realize that is not heated, well is the same as having not pool at all, not nice when arriving with kids that was my case.
- 2nd day, people from the front desk in a different shift was more friendly so I have to assume that the thing about been nice is just not stardardize, what is a bad thing on a 5 start hotel.
- Nothing walk distance, you really need to take a cab or have a rental car to go anywere
- Ok hotel for the night before departing (airport), is conveniently located at 18 min driving distance from the hotel
- Free buffete is ok, lots of fresh fruit and some other options (like personalized omelete) , from my point of view, since the dining area is large it feels like a great and large buffete but if you count the options available then you realize that it's really not that great in options, I would say that is just average but in a large area that feels ok and looks nice.
Bottom line, close to the airport, not really kids friendly since pool is not heated, friendly staff depends very much from person to person or shifts.
If you have to stay here, just don't pay too much or you will regret, for my it was 85 USD that was ok, although I've received better quality service in other 4-5 stars hotel for the same price.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Barcelo, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Barcelo San Jose reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo San Jose Palacio Hotel San Jose
- San Jose Barcelo
- Barcelo Palacio Hotel Costa Rica