“Nice and classy place ”
Review of Balmoral Hotel

Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #10 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Though located in a non attractive city, this place is quite nice and very much affordable. The staff were responsive and welcoming, and the room was nice, clean and spacious. It had all the facilities we needed (mini bar, safe). Breakfast was really nice, and all this for a very reasonable price, right in the city center. Would definitely recommend it!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed at Balmoral in December 2013 the last night of our Costa Rica trip before returning to the states. I wish we had stayed here longer. The amenities were great. We stayed at 3 other hotels as we travelled through the country, but Balmoral was by far the best. The resort is very clean and modern. We didn't eat any meals, but we did have a few drinks in the bar. Balmoral will definately be at the top of my list should I return again to Costa Rica.

Room Tip: My only regret is that we didn't stay long enough to enjoy the amenities.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2014

...but maybe a little lacking in some areas.

First, it is in central San Jose. The neighborhood is a little shady after dark, but during the day there is a lot to offer nearby.

Secondly, the rooms are very nice - very fresh and modern. The hallways and lounges on each floor are a little raggedy, but since very little of my time was spent there, it was not important to me.

The personnel is friendly enough, but not overly so. This could be improved.

The internet works very well, except they have blocked Facebook. I suppose an argument could be made that if you're in San Jose, Costa Rica, upset about lack of Facebook, something's wrong. :-)

You could do a lot worse than this place.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ekinwilliston
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Very nice, very clean, helpful hotel staff. Business facilities, meeting rooms, great gift shop, Wonderful restaurant with a good breakfast buffet and good open air seating with an extensive dinner menu. One of the best parts is it's right on a pedestrian only road with shops and other restaurants within feet. You can set outside and watch the people of Costa Rica passby and feel as your part of crowd.

Room Tip: Don't expect a pool or special activities for kids but do expect on site parking, GREAT.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Very good breakfast buffet. the hotel has a strand entrance from a parking. In overall it's not that bad, but different from what you see on pictures. The furniture were basics and the rooms a little sad.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I booked this hotel in May 2013, 7 months earlier to my trip in December due to the good price and attractive photos online. The room described as 2 single bed and 1 double beds, so I thought it's enough for three of us, (my husband, my son and I). By the time I got to the hotel, we were asked to pay extra for the 3rd person ($7) as the booking for for two people only, then we got our room with only 2 double beds, and the room looked worse than Motel 6, no air conditioner, noisy. Worst of all, the comforter was thick and heavy as a brick, (consider it's 87°F out there), it was thicker than the ones I had when I traveled in Germany in winter. I barely slept for the first night.
I went to talk to the front desk regarding the room, they agreed to switch to a better room for me but I need to pay extra for December price, so called "upgrade", The day time clerk said it would be $20, but by the time to check out, it became $30.
Originally I booked first 2 nights in this hotel then go somewhere for 4 nights, and back to this hotel for another two nights. I was about to cancel the later 2 nights with them, but consider I have all the tour pick up scheduled for this hotel, I just settle to stay another 2 nights since they promised me I wouldn't have to pay extra when if I am back to stay another 2 nights. By the time we were back to stay another 2 night, the 3rd person extra became $17 instead of first 2 night as $7.
The whole thing with this hotel gave me the impression is the staff are manipulative, not honest for what the price shown online. They just tried to get more money when it is peak tourist season. I will never go back to this one.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank heyi2013
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

The staff are great and the hotel is super clean. The breakfast is better than average for Costa Rica. The rooms have wood floor and no carpet. The basic room is very spacious, we were 2 adults 2 kids and 3 suitcases and we didn't feel crammed. The main walking street is right out front, but the only bad thing about that is all the street sellers and some sketchy people hang out day and night and can be loud. The location is in the heart of all there is to see here. Don't stay long San Jose is a dumpy city.

Stayed: December 2013