“Balmoral Hotel, My First Trip to San Jose”
Review of Balmoral Hotel

Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #10 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This was my first trip to San Jose, and to Costa Rica. I traveled solo. I found the Balmoral to be a safe hotel in a good location. I stayed in the hotel for six nights. My room was spotless and comfortable. I believe I had a standard room. The only issue I had with the room was there is no chair to sit on. There is a type of padded stool at the desk in the room. But the stool has no back on it. Maybe as a suggestion, a type of chair can be placed in the standard rooms. The windows are not double-pane glass. My room was not facing the street. The windows were facing the interior of the building facing other rooms. On two occasions people were talking loudly in one of the rooms. They must of had their windows open. My windows were closed and I could here them very clearly. The hotel rooms are being renovated. I dont know for how long this project is taking place. But they start at around 7am and end at around 6:30pm. So you will possibly hear a lot of noise if you want to sleep late or come back to the room for a rest. And I dont know if it was just my room. But the air-conditioner is very noisy. This did not bother me, but could other guests.
As for the staff. I found them to be wonderful. They were so friendly and helpful. And I dont mean just the front desk staff. All the positions, including the restaurant staff.
In general I would recommend this hotel to people, and I would stay there again. The hotel itself is nice, but the employees at this property is what makes the Balmoral extra special.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank swm52

Reviewed 24 March 2014

The location was perfect for all of your San Jose visiting needs. The staff was excellent and the accommodations were perfect. I'd stay again without hesitation. Walking distance to all of the major attractions. Taxi easy to catch. Very nice restaurant with free breakfast.

Room Tip: We stayed on the fifth floor. Elevators were very convenient and no noise to speak of.
Reviewed 21 March 2014

we where there 2 years ago; the problem is not the hotel. the problem is it's location... during my first breakfast there (the restaurant is good) I learned that all the transportation routes converges in San Jose. Then, an impressive amount of people is continuously flowing in all directions; roads are terrifically crowded.
nevertheless it is easy to get tours to anywhere....

Room Tip: balcony to the road.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I only stayed here on my last night in Costa Rica. My friends I and picked this place because they stayed a few days longer to explore San Jose. I had to leave early the next morning so I didn't spend much time in the hotel. The hotel was nice and clean. They offered me breakfast to-go becuase my shuttle for the airport left before breakfast started. The downside was that it costs $30 to shuttle to the airport. Since my friends stayed longer and no one else was going to the airport at that time, I had to pay it by myself. If you are staying in San Jose for a few days, it seems to be a good place to stay. If you are just staying one night before catching a flight, I recommend staying much closer to the airport.

Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

We just checked in. Place is okay, not a fab value. But the worst thing just happened. The bell boy brought our bags up and broke the vase we purchased on our adventures as our one and only souvenir - 2 hours away. We notified the manager and they told us it's our own fault. We did not ask for someone to take out bags to our room. Lesson learned, don't stay here and never let anyone take the bags from our car and take them to our room. Or declare items to special of some sort.... Not sure.... Glad we're only here one day.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 11 March 2014

If its your first time travelling to Costa Rica and your looking for somewhere to overnight in San Jose then I can recommend The Balmoral Hotel wholeheartedly. Our outbound flight from London was delayed, consequently we missed our connecting flight to San Jose. American Airlines put us up in New York but it meant rearranging the first few days of our vacation. I contacted The Balmoral to explain our predicament and they were happy to change our reservation at no extra charge to the following night. When we eventually arrived at the hotel (taxi from airport to hotel approx 15,000 colónes) after a gruelling journey via Miami we knew we had made the right choice. We were welcomed by efficient and friendly staff and shown to a large, clean and very comfortable room. Perfect! The location of the hotel in Downtown San Jose was a concern however we needn't have worried. Its central location meant we could walk to many tourist spots including the National Museum (worth a visit for the Butterfly enclosure alone) the Teatro Nacional and the Cathedral. I wouldn't recommend going out alone after dark as the area can become a little boisterious. Having said that if you're just overnighting you'll probably want an early night before heading off. All in all extremely happy with the Balmoral. Book with confidence!

1  Thank Keith K
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We discovered the Balmoral 2 years ago and this is the third year in a row we've gone. A very relaxed atmosphere, up to date services and great eating facilities for breakfast, lunch or dinner. During the day it's nice to sit on their patio overlooking the street which is closed off to cars. The staff are excellent and very helpful in giving ideas on places to see.

Room Tip: We like the familiar room because it has a common area for sitting and talking and 2 separate large...