Balmoral Hotel
US$176
US$102
US$127
US$87
Barcelo San Jose(San Jose)
US$91
US$70
US$68
  • Breakfast included
1,493 results
All reviewsel patiocosta ricagold museumparking garagecentral locationpedestrian streetnice hotelheart of downtown san josebreakfast buffetmini barfront desk staffwalking distancesuperior roomnational theatredowntown areaenjoyed my stayshort stay
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I have stayed here 4 or 5 times and have always had a good experience. Rooms are clean and well maintained. Staff is friendly and very helpful. Value is fair to good and location is the best! You can call and make a reservation over the phone if you prefer not to prepay through the website.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Balmoral Hotel is within walking distance of some of the cultural heritage sites of San Jose. I especially like the second floor restaurant where people watching is great. The restaurant looks out on a pedestrian pathway, there are other bars across the street and lots of friendly banter goes on as the night progresses. The drinks are good and the food is very good. For breakfast, the lower level restaurant provided variety and good food. I was on a group trip and thought the the staff and amenities were a good value. Rooms were very clean. My only problem is that I had a room on the interior of the hotel on a night when the hotel had to repair the roof water tank. There was no water after 10:00PM (not a problem) but the construction noises went on all night. The men were shouting at each other and there were loud bangs and crashes as materials were removed and replaced. I should have been moved to a room with no access to the noise.

Room Tip: Find out if the hotel is doing any work and request a room away from the noise.
Reviewed 2 April 2014

The staff was friendly and helpful but our room was a complete disappointment. Smaller than what we expected, with a constant, unfavorable smell and our only window opened to some kind of industrial exhaust shaft. The pillows reminded us of sand bags. And the bed linens didn't seem freshly laundered.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This was my first trip to San Jose, and to Costa Rica. I traveled solo. I found the Balmoral to be a safe hotel in a good location. I stayed in the hotel for six nights. My room was spotless and comfortable. I believe I had a standard room. The only issue I had with the room was there is no chair to sit on. There is a type of padded stool at the desk in the room. But the stool has no back on it. Maybe as a suggestion, a type of chair can be placed in the standard rooms. The windows are not double-pane glass. My room was not facing the street. The windows were facing the interior of the building facing other rooms. On two occasions people were talking loudly in one of the rooms. They must of had their windows open. My windows were closed and I could here them very clearly. The hotel rooms are being renovated. I dont know for how long this project is taking place. But they start at around 7am and end at around 6:30pm. So you will possibly hear a lot of noise if you want to sleep late or come back to the room for a rest. And I dont know if it was just my room. But the air-conditioner is very noisy. This did not bother me, but could other guests.
As for the staff. I found them to be wonderful. They were so friendly and helpful. And I dont mean just the front desk staff. All the positions, including the restaurant staff.
In general I would recommend this hotel to people, and I would stay there again. The hotel itself is nice, but the employees at this property is what makes the Balmoral extra special.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank swm52
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The location was perfect for all of your San Jose visiting needs. The staff was excellent and the accommodations were perfect. I'd stay again without hesitation. Walking distance to all of the major attractions. Taxi easy to catch. Very nice restaurant with free breakfast.

Room Tip: We stayed on the fifth floor. Elevators were very convenient and no noise to speak of.