“Excellent in every way”

Ranked #5 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
North Carolina
“Excellent in every way”
Reviewed 12 March 2009

First class all the way and not to the point of breaking you. You have to be a use to traveling in Latin America or some of the customs and cultural things might take you back. But our stay here was in every way excellent. Clean, friendly and great bar and restaurant. The best feature is you are right down town and San Jose is one of the most fun places to be on a summer weekend.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2009

This hotel was the perfect place to stay at the beginning and end of our trip. We stayed for two nights at the beginning and then again the night before we left Costa Rica. We checked in very late, around 11:30pm and the gentleman at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. The cab driver dropped us off at a side entrance which was guarded by security. There was security all through the hotel at every entrance, in the lobby and at the casino entrance which made me feel safe. The rooms were very clean, large and comfortable. We stayed on the 5th and 6th floors in a standard room both times. The only thing that was bad about this hotel is the noise at night. It's mostly the traffic below but one night there was a drunk outside our room, sounded like he was trying to get into his room, making quite a commotion for about a half hour. I suppose that is to be expected on a Friday night. I also noticed a few prostitutes in the lobby when we walked in, but at least they were somewhat discreet in their presence. Can't say much about that in a place where it's legal, although it made me uncomfortable to see upon arrival I got used to it.
The restaurant serves a really good continental buffet breakfast included with the room. There is a guy who makes omelettes and lots of other fruit and breakfast items available.
We had dinner there a few nights, it was very good and the service is great! They also have two computers with free internet in the lobby. It costs $22 to cab to/from the airport and it is situated directly in the middle of downtown. There is an art/gold/currenct museum about 2 blocks away and lots of shops and parks to explore.
I will definitely go back to Hotel Presidente if I return to Costa Rica and would recommend it to anyone, only advice is to try and get a room on one of the top floors as it drowns out the noise a bit better and maybe bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper. I am a very light sleeper and was only woken up a few times by the noise.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
sea cliff, NY
Reviewed 26 February 2009

We had not planned to stay in this hotel, but circumstances landed us here and I am glad they did. We had originally booked one night at the Grand Hotel Costa Rica (a couple of blocks away). But when we arrived, we were told they had no rooms because of some plumbing disaster. They tried to send us to the Balmoral Hotel but a quick look at tripadvisor on my iphone revealed almost universal terrible reviews.

So we found Hotel Presidente and stayed there instead. The person at reception was incredible. He was so incredibly nice. We were really harried after dealing with the misery of having no hotel room and looking around on the fly with two kids in tow. He gave us an incredible deal on our room.

This hotel is the perfect hotel if you are interested in staying in downtown, or central San Jose. The rooms are quite nice, spotless, and comfortable for a downtown hotel in a large city. The bathrooms are particularly large, clean, and comfortable.

The food in the restaurant downstairs is quite good and reasonably priced. And the price of the room includes a fabulous breakfast buffet.

The staff of the hotel is amazingly helpful. TACA allows you to check in online and print your boarding pass 24 hours before the flight. The staff gave me access to a computer and printer so that I could check in and print the boarding passes without any problem.

Every experience I had with this hotel was phenomenal. It isn't a big fancy resort hotel, but for a downtown hotel in a big city, it is exactly what it should be. Excellent, excellent. Need a place to stay for a business trip? This is it. Need a place to stay either the day you arrive or the day before you leave Costa Rica? This is it. Just want to be centrally located in San Jose? This is it.

Great place. Great people working there. Couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
Northern Michigan
Reviewed 21 February 2009

Once again I had an outstanding stay at the Presidente. From the first day I walked into the door until checkout it is a great experience. When I pull up in the cab I am greeted like an old friend and welcomed back. Then after that each employee I come into contact with greets me with a smile and says hola. The amazing thing is that no matter what job role the employee does, they all treat me as if I am special. Some of the employees I come into contact with more than the others because of their job roles such as the restaurant or front desk. Then there are all those behind the scene employees that do not get the credit they deserve. I had the opportunity to meet a few of those employees this trip and was really impressed. In the past I mentioned a few that I thought were special, but this time I want to recognize everyone I came into contact with and those that I never see. It really does take a great team to make it all work as well as it does. .

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
Montana
Reviewed 18 February 2009

We flew in late in the evening and wanted a place downtown to stay so that we could see the city before going out to the ocean. The staff was helpful and courteous. I did not like our room because the windows were "frosted" and the view through the open window was cinderblock and a fire escape. We were awakened both nights that we were there by loud people in the hallway. It was fine for the day that we were there for the convenience of walking downtown, but I would not stay there any longer than that.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RLgirl
roma
Reviewed 1 February 2009

I have sojourned some days in the hotel President of St. Josè in Costa Rica, that is described in his site internet as a hotel to 4 stars with services from hotel of luxury
To the arrival I have had the disagreeable surprise to find me in a bleak hotel, with corridors, dirty, old and malodorous elevators and rooms with small and uncomfortable baths to exception of the shower.
Noise is annoying in the daytime and at night; up to the first hours of the morning the music of the disco also feels him and, the din of the sometimes, intoxicates also in the plan.
The most unpleasant thing is the due possession to ascertain that the hotel is organized for the sexual tourism. The cafe, open also in the road, is constantly frequented by people implicated in the sexual tourism and, in every time, from girls and boys that prostitute him.
The most unpleasant thing is the to have to pass in front of the cafe every time that the room must be reached and to assist to the bleak sexual commerce.
Hotel to be dissuaded to whom doesn't have that type of interest
Kate Mar

5 Thank zoettina
san francisco
Reviewed 12 January 2009

We just returned from our last nights in Costa Rica, which were at the Hotel Presidente. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The cafe served good food and were very nice. The hotel itself is situated right off the Avenida Central, which was great for us who wanted to explore, but not too much. The hotel recommended good restaurants to us and arranged the reservations as well. The room we stayed in was a junior suite, which we found very spacious and tastefully done. My biggest complaint, however, would have to be the grimy floors and the noise (not sure they can do anything about the latter). The floors looked clean, but we had to wear shoes/socks the whole time or our feet were very dirty. In terms of the noise, it is the city so keep that in mind. However, the outside noise wasn't so much as a problem as was the inside noise. The doors/elevator doors are so heavy they bang shut every time. We also had a drunk guy on our floor who woke up quite a few of us all (again, not necessarily their fault). Overall, we thought it was a good hotel and location for what we were looking for.

• Liked — spacious room
  • Disliked — grimy floors and interior noise
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank scoles
danielmh, Director at Hotel Presidente, responded to this review, 14 January 2009
I wish to thank Scoles for her/his/their kind words and review.

As reported in a previews reply to a guest comment, we have purchased a brand new state of the art Schindler elevator to replace our very colorful “historic” one. Replacing an elevator in a 100+ room hotel is tricky, and it needs to be done in a precise timeframe. We look forward to its arrival and installation very soon.

We share this traveler’s comment regarding internal noise so much that as I type these lines we are installing new especially imported Steelcraft soundproof doors in all our guest rooms with special gaskets for noise control and soft closing.

We appreciate this type of feedback so we can better understand our guests’ wishes and needs.