“A Classic Hideaway in the Heart of the City!”

Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Ranked #1 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Indianapolis, Indiana
“A Classic Hideaway in the Heart of the City!”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We spent a short night here on our way from the coast to the airport the next morning, but what a memorable and enjoyable experience! I've not travelled much of the world, but this hotel reminded me of classic hotel you might find in the French Quarter in New Orleans, and I could just as easily imagine it in Paris. A beautiful, quiet, spotless hotel split into sections giving you a quaint, private feel. Our room faced a covered but open outdoor courtyard full of local fauna and giving you a very private feel. Our room was spotless with georgeous hardwood floors, wonderful beds, modern but classic bathroom and lovely ceiling fans. The restaurant and bar were wonderful just to be in and relax, let alone the outstanding food. Lots of warm, beautiful wood, relaxed quiet atmosphere, natural gas flame lighting put you at ease immediately. A wonderful staff that was extremely helpful yet very unobtrusive. I will definetely be back on my next trip to Costa Rica! Pura Vida!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank G-Hill64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Arabic first
Boca Raton
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Very nice place- we had 2 adults and 2 kids in 1 room... Excellent restaurant and we liked hanging in the Jacuzzi while rain fell on us.. nice for an overnight before heading out to the rest of the country

Room Tip: great place with kids-- very nice in the heart of a bustling city- a nice oasis....rooms could fit...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank barryv
Studio City, CA
Reviewed 5 November 2012

What a wonderful renovated mansion and we are happy that we stayed there the first and last nights of our trip. Elegant restaurant, terrific staff. After flying all that way I was so pleased that they had a part time massage area on sight while my boyfriend walked into town during daylight hours.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2012

One of my favourite hotels anywhere in the world. Spotless, charming staff, nothing too much trouble and a lovely restaurant. Not cheap but you get what you pay for here. Perfect place to start/end a trip to Costa Rica.

Room Tip: We stayed in the family room. I've seen a few people moan about the fact that it has a shared ba...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank IanAndrewR
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We spent the first night of our honeymoon here before venturing to the Caribe Sur and beyond and we SO happy we did! Grano de Oro was amazing!

Great value, sweet location for wandering to a few of San Jose's hot spots plus an incredible on site restaurant to boot. Perfection!

We loved that the hotel had historical character... Lots of winding stairways and paths. Our room was on the ground floor and was more spacious than we expected, immaculately clean with WiFi, solitude and genuine good karma!

After check in we explored the area by foot before dusk. We then took advantage of the roof top hot tubs. Bliss! We were the only ones there! We tidied up and made our way to the glorious restaurant for dinner.

One word about our dinner at Grano de Oro: WOW! Seriously, if you stay here, do yourself a favor and enjoy dinner here. I imagine breakfast would be incredible too! We decided to explore a bit and walked to Soda Tapia for breakfast and were glad we did. Hotel staff delightfully pointed us in the right direction. I want to stay two nights next time to enjoy both Soda Tapia AND Grano de Oro breakfasts! :)

A quick side note about the restaurant: While there did not seem to be a dress code, we tried to be respectful and stepped it up a notch a bit due to the restaurant's classy elegant decor. My husband wore khakis and a light shirt while I wore a sundress and my signature gold "Costa Rica" flip flops. :) Meanwhile, we observed a couple wearing sweat pants and hoodies! While this is normally acceptable attire for adventure travel in Costa Rica, I must say they looked REALLY out of place at the restaurant. Please, pack at least a sun dress / smart casual shirt if you're visiting here! No heels/dress shoes required! Just step it up a wee bit before going on your adventure! I mean, c'mon, the servers were in ties! Give THEM some respect! :)

I digress...

There's just simply something special about Grano de Oro that one can't describe unless you've been. Is it a big chain 5 star resort? Absolutely not. Grano de Oro is 5 star in its own Central American boutique way. Please keep it a secret!

I can't image staying elsewhere when in need of a San Jose stay. We will be back. Hopefully soon. Gracias!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Lexington, Virginia
Reviewed 26 October 2012

wonderful restaurant, wonderful food, wonderful location, wonderful people!!! The location can't be beat. We moved here from the Palacio after our nightmare there. Whatever you do, DO NOT STAY AT THE PALACIO!!!!!! Bad location, bad food, and staff with attitude. Love the location to walk to the city center.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank KareninLexington
Franklin, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 October 2012

We stayed two nights recently at the Hotel Grano de Oro. Our room was lovely with windows that swung open to a beautiful garden full of trees, tropical plants and flowers. I could not help but smile everytime I walked in or out of the room. Our service was impeccable. I left my camera and phone charger behind and when we registered at our next hotel in Monteverde; the staff from Hotel Grano de Oro had already phoned to inform me. We were two women traveling alone and felt very safe and comfortable in this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family