“Charming, beautiful, great service- great way to start your vacation”

Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Ranked #1 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stayed here just one night to kick off a 10 day trip to Costa Rica, so we didnt stay long, but I was very impressed in under 12 hours. We got in late, the staff was waiting for us and helped us with our kids, bags, etc. I am mobility impaired and even though they are a small hotel they went out of their way to help me. We had a beautiful room in a tiny garden and got room service very late at night b/c we got in so late. The hotel is incredibly charming and pretty. If we go back to San Jose would stay here.

Room Tip: If you are mobility impaired tell them; we got a great room on a lower floor but still quiet and bea...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank luvnicehotels2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,820)

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed the first and last night of our trip to Costa Rica the end of April/beginning of May. We had a deluxe patio room the first night and the Garden Suite the last night. Both rooms are exceptional-clean, comfortable and beautiful. The staff are attentive and helpful. Ate dinner both nights at the restaurant and breakfast one morning. The service is wonderful, food is delicious and price is reasonable for the quality. Took a cab to the National Museum, ate a local restaurant suggested by staff and walked back from there to the hotel through the Central Market. San Jose is like any other large city in the world. With common sense, it is perfectly safe. Having lived in a neighborhood in San Jose for a summer in college, the hotel's neighborhood is no different or less safe than any other community in the area.

Room Tip: The Garden Suite was worth the additional cost.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CW2012_12
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My friends and I stayed two weeks in a house in Ojochal, but needed a place in San Jose the night before our flights home. This location was the perfect choice. Great, friendly, knowledgeable staff. Gorgeous and comfortable setting/rooms. Fabulous restaurant... actually just all around fabulous.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I kept coming back to this hotel as part of my holiday in costa rica. The staff were super friendly and helpful. Rooms were lovely, fresh and clean. Breakfast was delicious. I used room service as the restaurant looked a little too formal for an evening meal when I was on my own. The menu had a good variety and was delicious. I had a massage in their spa which was super relaxing after the long flight to costa rica. Sadly it was fully booked on each of my return trips so it might be worth trying to book in advance. All my rooms were well sized. My only criticism was that guests seem to be awake very early for activities and transfers. Despite the signs in the corridors there was little respect for other guests need for peace and quiet as they left the hotel in the early hours.

Room Tip: 11 was the best one during my stay as it was slightly tucked away. I had an upgrade to 33 on my last...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Holly L
Reviewed 6 May 2014

After having spent considerable time online searching for a good hotel we decided that this was possibly the best in San Jose. Luckily we were not disappointed.

The hotel is located near the city centre, within a walking distance of 20 minutes. It did not look like other and better hotels are close to the centre. Besides, the city itself does not offers much in terms of points of interest.

On the plus side: the whole hotel grounds and our room were spotlessly clean; our room was on the internal courtyard and it had nice wooden floor and a white bathroom with new appliances. Personnel is helpful and courteous. Being a boutique hotel with only 40 rooms, gives the hotel a lot of character.

It has a couple of jacuzzis on a top level terrace, but no pool. We also ordered breakfast and dinner room service and both were very good.

On the minus side: the room was a bit dark and lacking storage space. The bed was also small and a bit uncomfortable for tall people. A pool would be nice, but I guess there is not enough space for it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dierregi
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed at the Grano do Oro after a redeye flight before departing to points further in Costa Rica and, again, at the end of our adventure before flying home. Each time, we were impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel and friendliness of the staff.

The bed was super comfy.
We enjoyed a private terrace with a garden and fountain in one room.
WiFi available.
Delicious restaurant.
All good.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RookieHeather
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I think this hotel is very good for the beginning or the ending of your trip. That's what we did and it was very nice and easy getting from and to the airport.
There is a nice park a short walk away and we we're lucky to come when the Art festival was taking place so there was a nice flea market and shows at the park.

The staff & crew - very nice and accommodating. We didn't needed them much but every interaction with them was very pleasant.

The restaurant staff - excellent service!

the restaurant - VERY GOOD!
We ate there twice dinner and breakfast and everything was very good and tasteful.

The rooms - Very nice. the couples rooms did not have a bathtub but all the rest did and it was very nice to discover they had not only Shampoo & soap but also conditioner which I found very useful.
the stream could have been better but we had hot water all the time.

Very clean!! They cleaned our rooms on a daily basis even when we stayed for 2 nights.

The hotel is one of the best (if not the best) decorated hotels I've ever seen!
It is so pretty and green it makes you feel relaxed just by looking around you.

There is no pool ,however, there are 2 Jacuzzi's side by side in the garden.
I think it was nice if they had a pool but we enjoyed the jacuzzi very much.

The hotel is very quite, Which I fund very much , and that is way I think it is suitable for all type of travellers beside big families with little kids who are looking for attractions.

I will gladly come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with bathtub if that matters to you.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family