“Even better than before!”

Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Ranked #1 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 19 August 2009

We loved our short stay at Grano de Oro! The room was perfect for us and our two children, ages 8 and 10, but even more, we LOVED our fabulous drinks and dinner at the restaurant Saturday night - the server was attentive to all of us, including our kids, and our food was fabulous. It was the perfect way to wind down from our travel from the states and begin our trip. Our room was very nice and just the right size for the 4 of us.

Our bright, fresh and scrumptious breakfast was almost as good as our dinner...a wonderful way to start the day travelling to the mountains. Everyone made our first night in Costa Rica so special. My husband and I stayed here about 11 years ago and the improvements and expansions made enhanced the hotel, but kept what was so special the first time! Even my kids said it was one of their favorite hotels!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,807)

Reviewed 18 August 2009

We enjoyed our stay at the Grano de Oro on our last night in Costa Rica. Our room was comfortable and our stay was relaxing. The staff was helpful in arranging an early wake-up call and shuttle to the airport. The roof-top Jacuzzi was very nice as well. After 10 days of adventure our daughters said, "There was a good TV and Wifi for once!" The adults enjoyed staying in an historic San Jose hotel -- charming!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Wow. I really wasn't expecting anything like this when I decided to check in to somewhere nice for my final night in Costa Rica. I only wish I'd found it earlier on in my trip. It's a beautiful building of a certain age which has been renovated and maintained in an extremely stylish way; very sympathetic to its original structure.

I had a plush room on the ground floor which was set in a courtyard that had plants aplenty. It felt very tropical. It was a good size (by my UK standards) and I wanted for nothing. The communal areas are lovely and peaceful.

The restaurant and bar are amazing. The right side of upmarket without being stuffy. Felt very special and the food and cocktails did not disappoint. Really, really good.

The location is not why you choose this hotel, but taxis are plentiful to get you into town and back without it marring the experience.

Loved it.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank rs05272014j
Reviewed 11 August 2009

We just returned from a 9 day vacation in Costa Rica. Grano de Oro was our last stop prior to departure. The hotel is beautiful and elegant, especially the restaurant. I agree with others that it is located in a undesirable area. San Jose is not one of those cities people want to visit, it is dirty, noisy, and crowded. I did not feel safe. So, the hotel is all one will see when staying there. The room was beautiful and comfortable. The weather was nice, so A/C was not an issue for us, but I could see it as a problem if it were hot. I would recommend the hotel if you have to stay in San Jose, but I do not foresee myself ever returning to the city.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FLnaturegirl
Reviewed 27 July 2009

We were blown away by the luxury of our room. The hotel restaurant is expensive but worth it. The service found at the Grano de Oro is without flaw.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2009

The good: This hotel is very pretty and staff was always welcoming and helpful to us. Bathroom was big and the rooms, although not big, have enough space to feel comfortable. Also have a closet to put your things inside. Most of them have a window which is nice as you can see the garden and listen to the birdies singing. They have a flat panel TV with plenty of cable channels.
The Bad: Location: It is located in the center, and even though that could be nice is some places, not in San Jose, it is a very busy, contaminated and unsafe city to walk around, so, you will either need to get a cab or stay confined in your room, and just so you know we are not easy to feel intimidated as we are from South America, but believe this city is not nice to go your own.
Breakfast is not included. And, although is it not expensive, the rate (we paid $115 per room), would be more reasonable if BF was factors in
Noisy: There is no soundproof so, you will hear all the walking and talking in all the rooms around you, also, as rooms DO NOT have air conditioner, you also hear the birds that start singing at 5am, this is unavoidable as you must sleep with the window open unless you wanna cook yourself to death, which brings me to the last bad.
Heat: Rooms can get very hot, San Jose has a pretty tropical weather and depending on the day temperatures can be quite high. Honestly i should have know there was no AC i would have picked a different place. Other than in a front beach place a Caribbean hotel without AC is a no no for me. My husband was sweating all night and when it started to get fresh it was almost sunrise time and birds started singing lol

Maybe it is better in another time of the year, maybe if you get one of the top floor rooms, maybe if they instal AC in rooms, then maybe it would be nicer to stay here.

Best thing of the place is the restaurant for sure, dont leave without dining there

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CSRE
Reviewed 12 July 2009

This place is a perfect hidden gem in the middle of a big city. I have nothing bad to say about it. If you want a nice place to stay in San Jose with close proximity to most inland tours, this is your place. The food in the restaurant is amazing, the staff is absolutely friendly, and the hot tub on the rood is romantic and perfect after a long day of touring costa rica. When we go back, we will stay here.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple