“The best hotel in San Jose, and one of the nicest anywhere”

Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Ranked #1 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 20 October 2010

We stayed here on 3 separate occasions in October of 2010- After flying into CR, during a break as we traveled from pacific to caribbean and before flying out of CR-

Just a great cozy hotel with great staff and comfortable rooms. We used the rooftop hot tubs on every visit. The food is amazing as well.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose

Reviewed 12 October 2010

I stayed at this hotel in November 2009 on a 8 day trip traveling from San Jose through Costa Rica. The hotel itself was beautiful and the staff was friendly, although there isn't much to see in San Jose the hotel was a highlight. If you are looking for a place to have a nice romantic dinner this is the place to do it, it's a bit pricey but worth every penny.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2010

A friend and I stayed at the Grano de Oro for three nights in the family suite. It is a large beautiful suite with 2 bedrooms and wonderful windows. Every thing was perfect. The people at the desk were very helpful and arranged tours and cabs for us. They will give you a map to find your way around.(and double check where the cab drivers are taking you,most do not speak English) The food at the restaurant is truly wonderful! Many dishes had toasted macadamia nuts(my favorite) The last night we had Chateaubriand and they served it with 3 wonderful sauces.(the chocolate sauce was my favorite) I can't say enough about the food and terrific service in that beautiful dining room. I will be staying at this hotel every trip back to San Jose in the future for sure!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 September 2010

We stayed at this gorgeous hotel for an evening last week. We were enroute to Manuel Antonio and wanted a nice place to stay near our rental car company.
Our room was quaint, the bathrooms gorgeous and spacious. And the fact that there was no air conditioning was not a big deal as there was a ceiling fan provided. If it's that important to people it should be researched previously.
The staff were amazing. Spoke both english and spanish and our dinner was one of the best meals that we have had and we travel a lot.
We had nothing but a positive experience with the staff, location and quality of this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2010

Our real destination in Costa Rica was the Manuel Anotnio National Reserve in Quepos. Which was absolutely beautiful. We chose to stay in San Jose the first night of our arrival as well as the night before our departure, this way we could account for any delays in traveling back and forth from Quepos to San Jose, and be able to enjoy the actual travel and areas we were staying in without feeling rushed. We decided that we stay in what we read to be one of the nicest and highest ranking hotels in San Jose, Grano de Oro.

Our first night was pleasant, they upgraded our suite, which we appreciated - and the room and private terrace was very nice. The bathroom and the entire suite was very clean, and overall comfortable. Though I will say it was very, very noisy, and I had a difficult time sleeping from all the street/city sounds. The service was good our first night here, though I did find that the person working reception was not particularly friendly or personable - I chalked it up to being a late night. Though his attitude was the same the next morning. I am not a nit-picker - but I do think it's important to mention these details when you are under the impression that you are paying for a top quality-"four star" resort, because what makes it high quality ARE the tiny details - or else I'd just stay at a Ramada.

Our last night here, which is also our final night in Costa Rica - was a big disappointment. We arrived to be told that the AC was broken, and their form of compensation was to give us an extra fan. So even though they told us that there was another room available, it was not in the same price category we paid, and it would be extra if we wanted that room. Now after our first experience which was relatively pleasant, I was shocked. And again, the same poor service by the concierge, though it was a different person. No compensation whatsover for the inconvenience of the broken AC - not even a complimentary breakfast, which honestly would have been satisfactory considering that breakfast wasn't included in the first place - to me that would show how important our comfort was and how apologetic they were for having to put us through this inconvenience. I am completely disappointed by their poor customer service - in particular because I expected much more from a hotel that is highly rated and full of incredible customer reviews. Especially since we had such an amazing stay at the Gaia Resort in Manuel Antonio where truly exceptional customer service outshone our experience here at Grano de Oro.

My advice - don't bother "splurging" here in San Jose - if San Jose is just an interim to your Costa Rican vacation, pick a cheap hotel that meets your expetations and go all out on your final destination.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank bunnyluv
Reviewed 4 September 2010

We just returned from a one night stay at the Hotel Grano de Oro. This is a beautiful historic property - "tropical victorian style" located in downtown San Jose.

Room:

We reserved the top category suite in the house whcih I believe is called the "Vista de Oro" suite. Very interesting Costa Rican British colonial style decor. Nice and quaint. The suite was not very large and was one large open room. I would say the suite was 550 square feet.

While beautiful the Vista de Oro suite did not have airconditioning which necessitated the windows being open all night with ceiling fans running too. Being in downtown San Jose and with the suite being on the top floor of the hotel with lots of great big windows offering a view of the city allowed lots of traffic noise to enter the room. The room was a bit humid with sticky bedding material from all of the dampness. An airconditioner for quiteness and dehumidification is needed in San Jose. Sadly this suite did not offer aircon so we checked out after one night. The noise from open windows and the humidity-sticky feeling of wet sheets forced us out of the hotel. To be fair management did offer an aircon room for the last night but we did not want to accept a smaller room.

To be fair we are very fussy and demanding travellers. We were paying approximately $300 USD per night for a room in a boutique hotel and we expect certain things which did not happen at the Grano de Oro. No complimentary bottled water, no welcome card nor welcome fruit basket, no turn down service, etc. For $300 per night in San Jose, Costa Rica in a boutique hotel I expect these small niceties.

And we demand a quite sleeping experience which this sutie did not offer.

Would we recommend the Grano de Oro? Only to travellers who dislike large corporate hotels and seek out small charming properties with a lot of ambience. The Hotel Grano de Oro has a wonderful ambience but it lacks the polishing to make it a 5 star experience.

Beware that many of the rooms are small and have windows opening out into the hallway. These windows were left open as the majority of the rooms have no aircon. Signs were posted along the hallway reminding guests to be quite but I would think noise would be a problem in many of these rooms.

Dining was excellent. The Grano de Oro dining room is gorgeous and refined in a wainscotted elegant London on the Thames meets colonial Costa Rica sort of way. Food and service are excellent. I'm certain the Grano de Oro dining room is one of the top Continental dining experiences in Costa Rica.

Overall a charming hotel with excellent dining but with some caveats.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darrell S
Reviewed 4 September 2010

Stayed here because we had an early morning flight. Cab ride was about 25 min to the airport and $25 so very reasonable. The hotel is very unique, you feel like you might discover a new treasure around each corner. There are 2 rooftop jacuzzis which no one else was using but me. The restaurant has a beautiful courtyard, but the food is overrated. If I'm in the area again, I would definitely stay here.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple