“friendly staff....but too many cockroaches...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Jose
Casa Ridgway Hostel
Europe
“friendly staff....but too many cockroaches...”
Reviewed 16 February 2009

stayed in this hostel for one night after we arrived in San Jose and decided to move out immediately the next morning. The room was austere but we were not expecting anything great since it was just a hostel and not a hotel. The bathroom could do with some renovation, though. The bedlinen and pillows looked dirty and old and we found some hair from the previous guests on the bed. it felt so disgusting that we slept with our jackets and jeans on that bed. there were just too many cockroaches in the room, too!! The people at reception are extremely nice and friendly at Casa Ridgway but unfortunately we could not really stand the cockroaches...

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hybridblue
casa-ridgway, Manager at Casa Ridgway Hostel, responded to this review, 5 August 2011
We have great rooms, but not every room is the same and there are 2 rooms that have the humidity problem. For those who are reading this review, feel free to ask to see a couple of different rooms.

We are sorry hear about the cockroach experience, I have notified the commission board about these reviews so we can double up the efforts to erradicate them while also not using ultra deadly chemicals...

Costa Rica definitely has an amazing biodiversity for the good and the bad... The season also affect cockroach appearance... After rains, in costa rican homes sometimes cockroaches come out.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 22 August 2008

First off, the owner and staff are wonderful and courteous. For $14 I got a private room. However, the room itself is what you would get for $14. The entire room smelled of mildew and the linens were still half wet. Although you get privacy with the walls, they are paper thin and you can make out a conversation coming from the kitchen area. Thankfully everyone is respectful at night and try to be quiet, but when anyone walks on the hardwood floors in the hallway outside it makes terribly loud sounds which makes getting a good night's sleep difficult. I recommend it only for budget backpackers who want the privacy of your own room but the affordability of a hostel.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Not very cleanly, walls too thin
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank atkim122
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 19 November 2006

I've been to Casa Ridgway three times now and it is my favorite place to stay in San Jose, Costa Rica. My trips were part of my master's research and I needed a quiet, cheap place where I could work. A fellow traveler tipped me off about this place, which is affiliated with the Quaker Peace Center. It is not a place for partiers--quiet hours start at 10 pm sharp. But it great for the socially-minded student wanting to connect with an international group. They have a great library with peace-related literature and travel books, as well as a kitchen, TV room, and free internet access (although only 1 computer on the slow side). There are both dorm rooms and singles, which don't cost much more--$12 for my last stay. Several of the rooms are dedicated to peace activists, mine was for Martin Luther King, Jr and had inspiring pictures and quotes on the walls. My room also had a desk where I could work, a large, comfortable bed, and I was able to get free wireless on my laptop. Everything was very clean and much better looking than most hostels I've stayed at (wood floors, nice decorations, pretty bathrooms). There was a good, free breakfast every morning. The neighborhood was generally safe, although like all areas of San Jose it is better to use taxis at night. The place isn't walking distance to the Coca-Cola bus terminals, but only a quick and cheap cab ride away. I highly recommend it for those looking for something different than your typical hostel.

• Liked — Price, security
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Vegan_Traveler7
#6 of 82 in San Jose
Casa Alfi
Casa Alfi
#7 of 70 in San Jose

Been to Casa Ridgway Hostel? Share your experiences!