“Peace and Quiet”

Casa Ridgway Hostel
Reviewed 9 March 2011

I stayed here on two separate occasions while I was traveling throughout Costa Rica. If you are looking for peace and tranquility, this is the place. I arrived late at night during my first stay, but they had a friendly and accommodating receptionist who told me all I needed to know about the hostel. In the morning I ate the complementary breakfast at the hostel. It was sufficient, but if you would like a larger breakfast I recommend going to one of the small restaurants around the hostel. The staff will happily tell you a good and cheap place to eat. All of the rooms are dedicated to peace makers and revolutionaries, which adds I nice spin to the accommodation. The hostel has free wireless access for its guests, as well as a large free library. Overall, I would recommend this hostel as a place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Bigmac745

Reviewed 13 February 2011

Our hosts in Puerto Viejo suggested we stay here. The receptionist was just wonderful - took us around to a cheap, good Tico restaurant, answered all our questions. We selected the Mahatma Gandhi room. It was neat, with an eastern-facing window, quiet and roomy.
I used their ancient but fast internet and Yehudah accessed wi-fi on his laptop. A few blocks away is the Center Democacia with a whole line of arts and crafts shops we shopped at our final morning. We easily caught taxis to go to the bus station and airport. We had stayed at Hostel Pangea, much more for the younger set, but my partner really didn't like the windowless room (like a cell) and the noise and smoke in the restaurant. So this was better for him. My only complaint was that the breakfast was one piece of fruit and three pieces of bread with some refried beans slathered on each - plus a cup of tea of coffee - not particularly appetizing. We were told there might be eggs, so we were disappointed. My advice is to stay there and have breakfast around the corner.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hummingbird5707
Reviewed 23 November 2010

As we arrived, we were given the key to our room and told its location. The lady behind the desk did not bother to show us bathrooms, shower rooms or offer any advice on services provided.
Reached the room to find it filthy, when we told the lady she came with a broom and swept the floor, leaving everything else. Despite advertising hot showers, all the water was cold. At breakfast, Tea was requested and they said why dont we drink coffee instead, as they had none.
Communication was poor and the people unfriendly.

• Stayed: November 2010
3  Thank AyeWeegie
casa-ridgway, Manager at Casa Ridgway Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

I am sorry to hear that you didn't have a good reception experience. Some nights we have volunteers from the NGO help at the front desk and it is possible that was the case.

We have been restructuring Casa Ridgway in order to have a more constant service. We do have tea for breakfast and we have fixed all our shower heads in order to correct the water heating problem.

Regards

Reviewed 24 November 2009

What a terrible place! We were late and tired, so we didn't have much choice. The lady from the hostel was very grumpy when we arrived, but the next day she was more helpfull. The rooms did not look very bad at first sight, but after a while there appeared to be many cockroaches and other crawling animals.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank amsterdamno1

Yes Costa Rica the most biodiverse country in the world... The good and the bad. We regularly call the exterminator to get rid of these pesky neighbors. I have mentioned this problem to our comission board and we will double up the efforts to treat the problem where previous exterminators might have failed.

Reviewed 16 February 2009

stayed in this hostel for one night after we arrived in San Jose and decided to move out immediately the next morning. The room was austere but we were not expecting anything great since it was just a hostel and not a hotel. The bathroom could do with some renovation, though. The bedlinen and pillows looked dirty and old and we found some hair from the previous guests on the bed. it felt so disgusting that we slept with our jackets and jeans on that bed. there were just too many cockroaches in the room, too!! The people at reception are extremely nice and friendly at Casa Ridgway but unfortunately we could not really stand the cockroaches...

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hybridblue
casa-ridgway, Manager at Casa Ridgway Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2011

We have great rooms, but not every room is the same and there are 2 rooms that have the humidity problem. For those who are reading this review, feel free to ask to see a couple of different rooms.

We are sorry hear about the cockroach experience, I have notified the commission board about these reviews so we can double up the efforts to erradicate them while also not using ultra deadly chemicals...

Costa Rica definitely has an amazing biodiversity for the good and the bad... The season also affect cockroach appearance... After rains, in costa rican homes sometimes cockroaches come out.

Reviewed 22 August 2008

First off, the owner and staff are wonderful and courteous. For $14 I got a private room. However, the room itself is what you would get for $14. The entire room smelled of mildew and the linens were still half wet. Although you get privacy with the walls, they are paper thin and you can make out a conversation coming from the kitchen area. Thankfully everyone is respectful at night and try to be quiet, but when anyone walks on the hardwood floors in the hallway outside it makes terribly loud sounds which makes getting a good night's sleep difficult. I recommend it only for budget backpackers who want the privacy of your own room but the affordability of a hostel.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank atkim122
Reviewed 19 November 2006

I've been to Casa Ridgway three times now and it is my favorite place to stay in San Jose, Costa Rica. My trips were part of my master's research and I needed a quiet, cheap place where I could work. A fellow traveler tipped me off about this place, which is affiliated with the Quaker Peace Center. It is not a place for partiers--quiet hours start at 10 pm sharp. But it great for the socially-minded student wanting to connect with an international group. They have a great library with peace-related literature and travel books, as well as a kitchen, TV room, and free internet access (although only 1 computer on the slow side). There are both dorm rooms and singles, which don't cost much more--$12 for my last stay. Several of the rooms are dedicated to peace activists, mine was for Martin Luther King, Jr and had inspiring pictures and quotes on the walls. My room also had a desk where I could work, a large, comfortable bed, and I was able to get free wireless on my laptop. Everything was very clean and much better looking than most hostels I've stayed at (wood floors, nice decorations, pretty bathrooms). There was a good, free breakfast every morning. The neighborhood was generally safe, although like all areas of San Jose it is better to use taxis at night. The place isn't walking distance to the Coca-Cola bus terminals, but only a quick and cheap cab ride away. I highly recommend it for those looking for something different than your typical hostel.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Vegan_Traveler7