“Great location & service”
Review of Kekoldi Hotel

Kekoldi Hotel
Ranked #35 of 84 Hotels in San Jose
Syracuse, New York
“Great location & service”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Hotel seemed to be under new management and is doing its best to fix itself up. Having arranged through them, we chatted with an owner & an employee about what ended up a sketchy airport taxi pickup. Instead of our names on a sign, a random/unprofessional appearing man showed me my name on a cell text instructing us to wait "10-15 mins" (which ended up being much longer).
Hotel staff went above & beyond volunteering to upgrade our room and get it ready quickly even though we arrived before 11 AM. Various staff members were friendly & quite helpful. The room shared by us 3 travelers was comfortable and the bathroom was adequate too. There's a safe in the closet to store valuables--nice that it didn't require an additional charge for its use. Our room faced the welcoming patio area which was lively with guests during the day. May I suggest to pay in USD cash to avoid a higher charge on your credit card. (They use their own exchange rate charging in Costa Rican colones. It was an unpleasant surprise to end up with 10 dollars more on my card according to their exchange rate.)
The hotel is within easy walking distance to the park & main plaza area. We felt safe walking--even at night when we had to pass by some shady characters and a hooker or two.
We'd definitely use this hotel if we return to San Jose.

Room Tip: Pay in USD cash & bring earplugs if wishing to rest during the daytime.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 25 February 2012

This was a nice hotel in the centre of town, walking distance to most of the interesting areas. The staff were great at offering advice, and the afternoon coffee and breakfast were both tasty.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank tara42
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We have stayed a few days in this hotel betweem our trips around Costa Rica. You often need to come back to San Jose to go somewhere else.
We have even left our lugage in the hotel for some days without any trouble.
This is very good value compared to some other hotel we have been in Costa Rica.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Jerry_The
Naples, Italy
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Nice place close to the center of San Jose. Good rooms pretty garden nice settings
Good value. Recommended

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank diporzio
Brooklyn
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I booked this nice little oasis twice while in CR. Both times I found the staff to be kind, nurturing and very welcoming. As my first experience in Costa Rica I am glad I stayed here, Nice little garden and breakfast. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed on ground floor front. I was offered a better room upstairs but for one night I dealt with...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank chasgo3
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We recently had the opportunity to stay 4 nights at Hotel Kekoldi. It's a wonderful place, nothing pretentious, just a clean, comfortable hotel in which to spend a few nights while enjoying the sights of "downtown" San Jose.
The hotel is very well located, the staff is helpful and speak English, a real plus since I am an ugle American that speaks ONLY English. Breakfast is fresh and one can order eggs to suit. If you are looking for luxury, this is not the place. If you are looking for local comfort, easy access to anything in the "Cultural District", or just a comfortable place to kick back and enjoy "Pura Vida" this is the place.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the main street are not at all noisy. That was our concern when we checked in but...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank thumbsup45
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Originally I was suppose to stay at tranquillos but after hearing thru have bed bugs I walked around and found hotel kekoldi . I rang the bell and a min later someone came . I was there during quiet season , this month and they had a room . Rooms were fine , hot water , bed with sheets and comfortable and they directed me to restaurants . Didn't walk around much as I stayed there one night in the beginning of my trip and one night at the end. Breakfast is included which was average . He asked me if I wanted eggs and I asked what time it was , I had 15 minutes . That's enough but never got them . Internet is free , for 50$ I was ok with sleeping with no bed bugs, hot water and a tv and clean sheets , since other places I was at were worse . I would stay there again but like everyone says get out of San Jose

• Stayed September 2011