“Treated like the Prez”
Review of Hotel La Amistad

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Jose
Hotel La Amistad
Ranked #36 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Treated like the Prez”
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I stayed in the suite for a week. The service was outstanding from the maids to the manager. I been to San Jose many times usually staying at Best Western or Del Rey. I was treated poorly at Best Western and Del Rey is too busy with the casino and constant bar crowd 24/7. At La Amistad I was able to relax, no charge for guest, good breakfast and its location is just out of the way enough that you wont be bombarded by panhandlers and druggies as soon as you step out the door like the other two hotels I mentioned. Ive found my choice of Hotel in San Jose..I wont be staying anywhere else

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Clearwater, FL
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Hotel La Amistad offers various room sizes and options, all at reasonable prices. Where this hotel excels above and beyond the others is the fact that management is very helpful both prior and during your stay. I emailed at least five other hotels in this price category and higher, and didn't get a response from most of them. Rudy at the front desk was wonderful in all aspects by answering numerous questions I had relating to the room, the area, amenities and methods of payment. La Amistad offers free internet (w/three computers) and free international long distance from your room to the US and Canada, along with free local calls. Yes, you read correctly, free international phone cals from your room! If you stay elsewhere, get ready to spend $2 or more per minute to check in with your family or business associates back home. In essence, a person can successfully argue that the room cost is free, assuming you dial the States or Canada a few times per day, as I did. La Amistad also offers free breakfast for most items and a small, reasonable charge for more costly breakfast options. Additionally, the maid service cleaned my rood spotless and there was never a time when I needed to complain about cleanliness, and I am picky. Although I did not attend, the Sportsmen's Lodge is right down the street in easy walking distance for men looking for companionship. Another strong aspect of the Hotel Amistad, though, is the fact that a person can walk down the street approximately one block and you have Cafe Mundo which is a marvelous cafe, clean and with good, decent food at fair prices. When I was there, Cafe Mundo opens at 11:00 am and I think closed at 10:00 or 11:00 p.m.
Their menu is in both English and Spanish, and their waitresses offered very good service with above average attitude, which is often times not found in Costa Rica. For those of you that would enjoy getting out of San Jose on tours, Rudy at the front desk will be more than happy to assist you with any tour of your choice. I booked the Calypso Tour through Rudy and this tour company was exceptional in all regards.
Hotel Amistad is not a Hyatt Regency, but you are not paying $250 per night, either. This hotel offers the highest quality in value vs. cost that I have ever experienced, and I have travelled extensively.
I have stayed in hotels costing up to $400 per night, yet I have yet to sleep in a Temperpudic (spellling??) mattress at any of them. Yes, the Amistad has this, too. A good night's sleep is important. For those of you that may have read about a train that is close to the hotel, you read correctly. This train is not an issue if you bring inexpensive foam ear plugs....I never heard the train except for the night I forgot to wear them. I did not eat in Amistad's restaurant except for breakfast, so I can not rate their food except that other people said it was quite good. They do not have a spa.
If any of you have any questions, feel free to contact me at 1michaelmeyer@gmail.com and I will be happy to assist or answer any of your questions.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael1474
Palatine, Illinois
Reviewed 23 July 2011

They accidentally overbooked the queen rooms and I was put in one of the Penthouse rooms for the same price. All of the staff speaks English and was extremely friendly and helpful.

I was convinced by a friend to try this place out instead of the Europa which is where I normally stay. He said "it's worth the extra money believe me" and he was right.

The laundry service is free and so is the made to order breakfast (please tip).

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank nfstern
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 18 April 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights of my 7 day stay in Costa Rica. The staff was very helpful in giving me ideas to tour the city as well as setting up my rental car and taxi cab rides. I ate breakfast and dinners here. All food was fresh and amazing! Highly recommend for a stay in the city!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed 24 March 2011

Very basic rooms with cheap and limited bedding, furnishings and supplies. Bathrooms are dirty. Continuous noisy stream of residents bringing hookers to the hotel. Next to a busy train line with noisy trains and horns 24x7.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank MSPtravelerguy
Eureka, California
Reviewed 28 February 2011

I stayed at the Amistad a few days ago. The place is very laid back with a nice bar and excellent food. The room consisted of a large bathroom and moderate living quarters. Shower had plenty of pressure, not like at the Holiday Inn. Room consisted of a queen bed, a table and chair. Had a safe, refrigerator, and closet. There was a large TV with plenty of English channels to peruse. The highlights of the hotel are not the rooms, but the exceptional staff and fine dining that this hotel has to offer. The bartender had me pick out four movies from the local video vendor to play at the Bar. I would highly recommend staying here. This hotel was a good value compared to the others that I stayed in this area.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Weebles246
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 23 February 2011

I stayed here for the loction and was very surprised to find a 4 star restaurant in the lobby.
Ienjoyed the food so much, i arranged my schedule so we would be at the hotel for meal times.
Rudy works at the front desk, he's the greatest for all things needed.
except for the early morning train passing by, the rooms where were above avarage.
my room had a jacuzzi tub, large shower and plenty of room.
I will be staying there again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends