“This place has come a long way. Very recommended!”
Review of Hotel La Amistad

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Jose
Hotel La Amistad
Ranked #37 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 15 September 2011

My fiance and I stayed here for a total of 3 nights while in Costa Rica on our honeymoon this September. The short story: its a very nice, comfortable place to stay at a very affordable price. I highly recommend it!

Heres the long story.

Back in mid 2008 I stayed here several nights with a large group while on a trip. We stayed in the rooms which had yet to be renovated, and while they were decent, they were in definite need of attention. The place was recently purchased by a new owner from the USA, and major changes were underway. They were in the process of renovating all the rooms, as well as adding on a new Martini Bar and restaurant. Because of all the construction, it was understandably a bit disorderly.

Skip forward to 2011 and the renovations are now complete. The place is beautiful! All rooms now feature queen or king sized beds with memory foam mattresses. The bar and restaurant area is absolutely stunning. Every worker I encountered was very helpful, and though some didn't speak much english, they tried their best to help in any way possible. There is now free wifi throughout the hotel, and amazingly, free international calling. There are also 3 computers with internet available for use of hotel patrons.

The only downfalls, which I personally consider small, are these: a) the hotel is near the red light district (prostitution is legal in Costa Rica) so you may see an older man and his prostitute making their way to his room. This happened to us only once out of the three nights we stayed, so it really wasn't a big deal. And, b) the hotel is right beside a train which starts to run in the early hours of the morning.

Because of these two things, I don't recommend this hotel to families or those wanting to sleep in late.

To me, these things are quite small in the big picture. The place is comfortable, within walking distance of many attractions, and staff is friendly. The owner was actually down in the restaurant area for quite a while on our last night in the country chatting it up with the patrons.

Its amazing to see how far this place has come in just a few years. We will definitely be back on future visits to Costa Rica!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank angelad428
There are newer reviews for Hotel La Amistad

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed in a studio room with jacuzzi, living room and king sized bed for around 89 / night + tax. Nice quiet place, lots of stairs though to get to certain rooms -- the hotel is a remodeled mansion so it has many levels. Great bar/lounge, laid back and elegant. No "questionable" people at the bar or in the restaurant as far as I could see.

I was only there for two nights but I can definitely recommend the place if you need a centrally located, clean hotel with business-level amenities. Bed is very comfortable - I understand from the hotel staff all the rooms in the hotel have Tempurpedic mattresses.

There's a commuter train track right next to the east side of the hotel, but I don't think the train passes at night, however it's supposed to start early in the morning (like 6 AM). However, I never heard it in my room.

They have free breakfast, both American (eggs/pancakes/toast/coffee/juice) and local style (eggs with gallo pinto). You can also get sides (e.g. bacon) for a fee.

Restaurant is good but a little pricey for Costa Rica. I liked everything I ate except for the risotto. I left most of it, didn't say anything, and before I know it the chef AND the waiter came out to ask me if anything was wrong, if I didn't like the dish, what could they have done to make it more to my taste, etc. They were very polite but also very concerned, I guess they take pride in their kitchen's product.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly If noise bothers you, ask for an inside room.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Dictator_Sulla
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Took a trip to San Jose for my birthday and this is my second time stayed here and had a good time. This place is alot smaller then places i normally stay but is in a good location expect when the train goes by but the room you have can make a great diffence in the noise. The staff is very friendly but a little unorganize but there helpfulness makes up for it. However, this may not be the best place for a family to stay with all the guys bring there guest they meet at the near by bars although there where families there and I never since a problem. I like the place because of the jacuzzi rooms which are nice in size compared to some of the other rooms. All thing said it is a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I loved the memory Foam Beds and the flat screen TV. Walking distance to the Sportsmans Lodge and not far from Central San Jose Great cooked to order breakfast included in the price I loved it and will go back

Room Tip: Fridge in room
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I stayed in the suite for a week. The service was outstanding from the maids to the manager. I been to San Jose many times usually staying at Best Western or Del Rey. I was treated poorly at Best Western and Del Rey is too busy with the casino and constant bar crowd 24/7. At La Amistad I was able to relax, no charge for guest, good breakfast and its location is just out of the way enough that you wont be bombarded by panhandlers and druggies as soon as you step out the door like the other two hotels I mentioned. Ive found my choice of Hotel in San Jose..I wont be staying anywhere else

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Hotel La Amistad offers various room sizes and options, all at reasonable prices. Where this hotel excels above and beyond the others is the fact that management is very helpful both prior and during your stay. I emailed at least five other hotels in this price category and higher, and didn't get a response from most of them. Rudy at the front desk was wonderful in all aspects by answering numerous questions I had relating to the room, the area, amenities and methods of payment. La Amistad offers free internet (w/three computers) and free international long distance from your room to the US and Canada, along with free local calls. Yes, you read correctly, free international phone cals from your room! If you stay elsewhere, get ready to spend $2 or more per minute to check in with your family or business associates back home. In essence, a person can successfully argue that the room cost is free, assuming you dial the States or Canada a few times per day, as I did. La Amistad also offers free breakfast for most items and a small, reasonable charge for more costly breakfast options. Additionally, the maid service cleaned my rood spotless and there was never a time when I needed to complain about cleanliness, and I am picky. Although I did not attend, the Sportsmen's Lodge is right down the street in easy walking distance for men looking for companionship. Another strong aspect of the Hotel Amistad, though, is the fact that a person can walk down the street approximately one block and you have Cafe Mundo which is a marvelous cafe, clean and with good, decent food at fair prices. When I was there, Cafe Mundo opens at 11:00 am and I think closed at 10:00 or 11:00 p.m.
Their menu is in both English and Spanish, and their waitresses offered very good service with above average attitude, which is often times not found in Costa Rica. For those of you that would enjoy getting out of San Jose on tours, Rudy at the front desk will be more than happy to assist you with any tour of your choice. I booked the Calypso Tour through Rudy and this tour company was exceptional in all regards.
Hotel Amistad is not a Hyatt Regency, but you are not paying $250 per night, either. This hotel offers the highest quality in value vs. cost that I have ever experienced, and I have travelled extensively.
I have stayed in hotels costing up to $400 per night, yet I have yet to sleep in a Temperpudic (spellling??) mattress at any of them. Yes, the Amistad has this, too. A good night's sleep is important. For those of you that may have read about a train that is close to the hotel, you read correctly. This train is not an issue if you bring inexpensive foam ear plugs....I never heard the train except for the night I forgot to wear them. I did not eat in Amistad's restaurant except for breakfast, so I can not rate their food except that other people said it was quite good. They do not have a spa.
If any of you have any questions, feel free to contact me at 1michaelmeyer@gmail.com and I will be happy to assist or answer any of your questions.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael1474
Reviewed 23 July 2011

They accidentally overbooked the queen rooms and I was put in one of the Penthouse rooms for the same price. All of the staff speaks English and was extremely friendly and helpful.

I was convinced by a friend to try this place out instead of the Europa which is where I normally stay. He said "it's worth the extra money believe me" and he was right.

The laundry service is free and so is the made to order breakfast (please tip).

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends