“Excellent Option in San Jose”
Review of Hotel La Amistad

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Jose
Hotel La Amistad
Ranked #33 of 84 Hotels in San Jose
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Option in San Jose”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

This is a long overdue review. Stayed at this boutique hotel on the first and last nights in San Jose. I must say that the attention to detail was amazing. Even though we only spent two nights in the hotel I was very impress with its staff and facilities. Its location is very convenient as well. If I ever return to Costa Rica I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AWUK78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Nice clean rooms in a small hotel. Good location. Excellent service and the food makes their restaurant a must do in San Jose, even if you don't stay at the hotel. Hotel staff go out of their way to help with directions, car/bus reservations, etc. The 'economy' rooms are small but comfortable and more than adequate. The larger rooms - which require climbing stairs which I have difficulty with - are much roomier and not that much more expensive.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank TravDevine
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

Food in the inclusive package was the best in town. Nice quiet and out of the way location. The rooms were not 5 star but clean and comfortable and ac is not always needed. Staff was awesome. Will stay again! Had a great time and a great time, great people and a beautiful country.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Ianphoto1
Livonia, Louisiana
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have had the pleasure of staying at the La Amistad many times. The service there never disappoints. They go out of their way to help you with any request that you may have. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Signalizer
Vtown
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed at the La Amistad 4 times from 2012-2013. I must admit when my friend suggested it on my first trip I was sceptical. Rudy and Carlos or more than friendly and they bust their butts to make everything go smooth. The last time I was able to sleep more than 8 hours was the previous time staying here. Even when I'm at home I can't sleep more than 6! Try to get a room on the 3rd floor if possible. I always try for room 302, 303 or 304. Great value! This is the only place I will stay downtown San Jose if possible.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank VtownLeeroy
Costa Rica
Reviewed 1 September 2013

There are two suites in the hotel which, according to the website, have kitchenettes. Instead, ours had a sitting area. When I asked about the lack of kitchenette and showed the manager the website, he said that was old. As no one used the kitchenettes they were taken out. There was a gap in the wall tile where the toilet paper holder should have been, and other than the jacuzzi the fixtures and tile seemed old. We did like the form fitting mattress, the only good part of the room. The entire hotel, especially our room being on the interior, seemed dark and depressing. The train to San Jose goes through right next to the hotel and was very noisy. Breakfast was adequate but nothing special so we didn't try the extensive menu for any of the meals. As no one came to ask us what we wanted we had to ask another table of guests how we were to order. That meant going to the alcove and filling out a form. The first morning we decided not to have the room cleaned, and when I told the maid she was very pleased. Although there is a safe in the room there were no directions. We won't bother staying there again. If we asked management questions they were helpful but procedures should have been automatic upon check-in.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank robertshill
Toronto
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I didn't book a room at the hotel, but I did eat several times at the restaurant. The food is simply outstanding. Chef Jose and his sidekick Juan are way more talented and qualified than you would normally find for a small informal dining area like that at La Amistad. The owner Don is friendly, smart, and quite innovative, and he should expand the restaurant to take advantage of the fine staff he has managed to get on board.

Favorite dish: fish with porcini mushrooms, vegetables and mashed potatoes.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo