“Sunday surf & turf menu”
Review of Hotel La Amistad

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Jose
Hotel La Amistad
Ranked #35 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
London, UK
“Sunday surf & turf menu”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Was staying at a nearby hotel but visited Amistad for their Sunday night special menu. Had the surf and turf menu which included starters, a huge main and desert all for under $10. I have to say when I arrived at the hotel there was a great atmosphere. The restaurant bar area was buzzing with many happy customers, many of whom seemed liked regulars. If you like American football then this was playing at the bar. On seeing the great atmosphere was slightly envious I wasn't staying here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank gambarre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This hotel gets exceptional reviews.
I don't think it merits all that much praise. On the positive side the rates are great, especially the all inclusive. Makes it cheaper than staying at home. Also the bar atmosphere is great with the tv, the disco lights, fog, etc. it's just plain fun. Carol at the bar is charming and very nice. Jenny is wild and hilarious.
I did not eat the food. Tried to have breakfast but there was no service. Hello?
Front desk is amiable and efficient. They don't look it, but they are.
Now the big negatives...
The noise. Forget the train, what's worse is the noise from the lobby. I don't complain about bar noise, hey deal with it. But post bar patron's noise and every conversation starting at 530am is heard in detail. And there are a number of people in the lobby at 530am, believe me. Fishermen no doubt.
I'm very busy when I am in SJ And I need my beauty sleep. I got little. I was in room 203 btw.
In my room I had a jacuzzi (did not work) and dry steam (ditto).
Also the bathroom amenities were: shampoo (which was ok), soap (could be better), and towels that did not make it around my 38 waist.
Spotty wifi.
I would stay again, but there are other good choices in Barrio Amon.

Room Tip: Away from the main area over the bar
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank jackietrehorn
Mkink, Owner at Hotel La Amistad, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear Guest

We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations. The date in question was Halloween Evening here (think Mardi Gras) and the entire town was slammed. Not a good excuse I know, but it happens. If you contact the Hotel Website with a phone number we can try to make it up to you. For all Guests, If something does not work in the room than please let the front desk know so they can correct the situation or show you how to use the amenities. In this case the Jacuzzi and Dry Sauna were set on a breaker that needs to be turned on. We do this so that guests do not leave them on all day. The breaker is in the room.

Again we apologize for any discomfort you may have had.

Regards
Team Amistad
Miami
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Amistad in San Jose Costa Rica and must say I am always impressed.
Staff is extremely friendly, courteous and respectful. Everyone who works at the Amistad has a smile and truly cares that your stay is enjoyable. My room wasn't ready upon my arrival and the housekeeping manager personally asked me to be patient while she and an army of staff turned the room to spic & span cleanliness in under 5 minutes. Wonderful, super nice people, from front desk, to housekeeping to the ownership: simply a first class outfit.
The Amistad offers an all inclusive option whereby a guest may have three square meals a day and all the well drinks you care for. In reality if you chose to, they would feed you as often as you like but the portions are so huge and fresh you won't be able to go overboard. The chicken imperial is amazing. Tender juicy chicken breast with vegetables you'd swear both the bird and the veggies were harvested that day. The pork chop: oh my lord the pork chop! Remember the flintstones opening when they place the huge brontosaurus rib out for Fred? The Amistad pork chop is bigger! Tender, juicy, the absolute best pork chop on planet earth.
The ownership: first class gentlemen, greets each guest as an old friend and offers to aid with planning of daily excursions from ATV to rafting to fishing to restaurant tours.
One fine afternoon the owner asked about the lobby if anyone would like to join a group to visit Ram Luna a famous restaurant perched atop the mountains surrounding San Jose. We joined and were treated to a narrated tour through the countryside on the way to a beautiful restaurant in the sky. As it is a rainforest, rain did pass over for about 10 minutes followed by a brilliant rainbow, an added treat for my birthday. The ownership arranged for the staff to sing happy birthday in traditional native attire & masks! So kind.
If you have the chance, stay at the Amistad in San Jose and be treated better than your own family would treat you!
Matt, you and your team are the finest caliber providing one of the most enjoyable stays one could hope for. Thank you.
Keep the all inclusive going and I WILL return for that pork chop!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank KtotheaMiami
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I dont even know really where to being it was so great... But I have to say it saved my vacation!!
I stayed as an all inclusive guest meaning that all drinks food and 3 meals is included. And for $89 for a king it was great value for a single traveler and please bear in mind that I don't drink!!! (not one drop of alcohol) and I still say 89 is a great deal. Some of these guys are drinking Imperial beer like it was their last day on earth.

Why I still say its a good deal...
1. It a nuisance to worry about food. and drinks so when i'm lazy I eat here when i'm adventurous I eat where ever I want. You want 4 cups of coffee Take it!! 3 soda TAKE it !! a bowl of soup TAKE IT..you go out for a day eat whatever you want whenever you want!! BUT !!

Matts food is great... I cant say it enough his food is great.. his Med. Chicken, his Seafood Pasta, his sandwiches his steak nights . It felt like home. I always felt if I needed help, help was available.

Lets put it this way! if it was 125 a night id still come back with no inclusive i still come back. but then id have to go buy 4 bottles of water and plan out meals. Pain in my tush.

On to the Room. Its a room. it was clean had a safe a fridge.. IT IS NOT 4 seasons but it was a good room, I slept like the dead. No guest charges ;) =_) no hassles. But it was very relax, very classy no illicit characters hanging around. I saw families couples eating there kids Imagine a nice home run by a nice couple. a lot of people were drinking but it wasn't loud rude obnoxious drunks.

NOW I AM ALSO VERY MAD cause I almost didn't goto Amistad cause of the complain of the train noises.
the Hotel has taken care of the train noises, and its barely audible. the train doesn't run on the weekend. and funniest part is!! its not a freight train its kind of like a LIRR commuter light rail train. But I can confirm train not a problem and i'm a very light sleeper.

I thought it was a CSX behemoth train moving 90 cars of freight. it was a commuter train and they did something but no more "honking" it just rolls through.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank John L
Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Boutique hotel ran by 2 handsome North American guys... Surf and turf 10.00 US and a great massage by Hazel... Loved the euro feel and Tempurpedic beds.... Rudy was very accommodating and Dan was very handsome and most helpful at dinner as they got busy...will stay here again!!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank YonnaCromeensMoore
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

This is a long overdue review. Stayed at this boutique hotel on the first and last nights in San Jose. I must say that the attention to detail was amazing. Even though we only spent two nights in the hotel I was very impress with its staff and facilities. Its location is very convenient as well. If I ever return to Costa Rica I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AWUK78
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Nice clean rooms in a small hotel. Good location. Excellent service and the food makes their restaurant a must do in San Jose, even if you don't stay at the hotel. Hotel staff go out of their way to help with directions, car/bus reservations, etc. The 'economy' rooms are small but comfortable and more than adequate. The larger rooms - which require climbing stairs which I have difficulty with - are much roomier and not that much more expensive.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo