“Great place, great service.”
Review of Hotel La Amistad

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Jose
Hotel La Amistad
Ranked #36 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 6 April 2009

My family and I found ourselves in need of a place to stay due to a family emergency. We have been rotating shifts to be near the hospital, and La Amistad is an easy walk. I was pleased to find that the staff is very helpful, courteous, and friendly. They went out of their way to be helpful during a difficult time. Breakfast was always very good, and I even took advantage of the free laundry service, which was great. Beautiful tile work in the bathroom, sparkling clean floors, great overall place. (Internet issues I read about in another review were an issue in all of San Jose and not just this hotel. I experienced spotty phone and internet on two of my 11 days.)

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank knewspring
Mkink, owner at Hotel La Amistad, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2009

We are 100 meters west of Hospital Caldron Guardia, one of the leading Hospitals in Costa Rica and about 1 mile to Hospital Clinica Biblica. We offer discounts to family members and patients who are visiting or receiving treatments at the Clinics near the Hotel. The staff knows the area well and assists in all that they can to make the stay as comfortable as possible. When booking the room mention to the staff which Hospital or Clinic to receive the discount.

There are newer reviews for Hotel La Amistad

Reviewed 5 April 2009

I just left San Jose and we booked our room based off the reviews on this website and were very dissappointed. My boyfriend and I have traveled all over the world, third world countried mainly (and we dont stay in large chain hotels) and honestly think there is some in house boosting on this website. I will start with the pros of this place: great made to order breakfast, if you are a single male (which im not) there are a lot of prostitutes/brothels in this area, they have safes in the rooms, the hotel is in the middle of san jose, there is a hospital close by in case something happens, the owner is american and can explain stuff in non broken english (which I think gives people a sense of comfort, to me I could care less) Cons: the walls are paper thin and you can hear everything, the rooms are tiny (and we got a deluxe standard), for what you can get in san jose the rooms are over priced, the internet wasnt working for the two days we stayed there, the comforter was gross, rude staff besides the owner who are not helpful at all.

1  Thank mariswil

To start we would like to say that we are sorry that we did meet this customers expectations. Obviously she had talken to me during her stay and if she would have brought her concerns to my attention I would have tried to address them as we pride ourselves on service. As for the in house boosting, I can assure you that is NOT the case and in fact you can email the reviewer through tripadvisor. We tried to contact this reviewer but did not get a response. While the reviewer did have nice things to say and for that we are grateful, I would like to address the ¨"cons". The walls are made of concrete and therefore some of the rooms are smaller and can not be changed. One problem we have with people booking on tripadvisor is they book the cheapest and smallest room. We always try to provide free upgrades when the space is available. Weekends are always a risk as many times we are full. We recommend that you call the Hotel direct (the phone number is listed on the website) and discuss your room options available with the staff when booking. As to our room price after reviewing tripadvisor for competive pricing and knowing the Hotels close to us (as in any major City, the neighborhood changes rapidly within 5-10 blocks and therefore makes comparisons difficult unless you know the area) we are extremely priced below the market. Internet and cable tv is provide by one provider, Amnet, and we are at their mercy as to the quality of service. They do go out from time to time but not for long periods of time. The internet was out for a couple of hours each day as they are taking the overhead lines and putting them underground. Comforter´s are washed and bleached after each guest stay, again had she brought this to our attention we would have addressed it. We checked every room and found all to be in order.

Now the one that bothers me most - rude staff. The staff in the Hotel has been here for an average of 5+ years. We have 4 maids with average stay 7 years, 4 desk help with average stay 6 years and an administrator that has been here 18 years (since inception). Personally knowing all of them, as I am active in the day to day operations, I can not believe any of them would be rude intentionaly. All the staff speaks english and many lived in America as children and speak perfect english. Judging by the testimonials in other reviews most of the clients know the staff on a first name basis for a reason. We have many business travelers that come every month and stay with us because we have a staff that will go the extra mile. That being said, It is possible someone had a bad day - as they are human - It is possible that the client was rude to the staff - as it does happen. There is always two sides to the story. Again, had the reviewer brought this to my attention I would have addressed it. In reading the review it appears that she had many opportunities to discuss it with me and chose not to. As for being close to brothels, San Jose has some very famous brothels that are within 5 blocks from the Hotel on Avenida Central. As prostitution is a legal business in Costa Rica (or at best is not deemed illegal) it is part of the culture and the locations have been in business for years. If you are unsure of a bar, restaurant, area of the City... it is always best to ask the staff as to an areas safety and business climate. As i said earlier, As in any big City, 5-10 blocks makes a big difference

Reviewed 1 April 2009

We had a great time. The rooms were very nice and the whole hotel was very clean. Beautiful accomodations and friendly/helpful staff. The breakfast is great too!

Reviewed 29 March 2009

I have traveled to Costa Rica for the last 12 yrs. and this is the best place that I have found. The rooms are spacious, everything is new with great taste. The beds are extremely comfortable and the staff is excellent. Also you get a real cozy feeling because the owner is there virtually everyday to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2009

To start, after reading some of the reviews, I'm hurt that the owner didn't take us out on a tour and that he didn't even acknowledge us, and we did see him.

We stayed at this hotel for 2 evenings. The stay was excellent. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the rooms were comfy. It is near by to many attractions and is in a decent neighborhood to where you did feel safe walking around at night.

The breakfast in the mornings was good. The only thing that might be said is that my wife got sick after eating one of the breakfasts (now, to be honest, we do not know for sure this caused the illness, but is most likely the culprit).

Overall a great place to stay and will stay here again if given the opportunity.

Reviewed 21 March 2009

I didn't have time to do laundry before packing. La Amistad's free laundry service had my clothes washed folded and hanged the same day I checked in! The owner, Matt, went out of his way to make sure I was comfortable. He even went as far as buying me a drink when he spotted me at a local bar! I stayed in room 210. Very big and comfortable room, jaw dropping tile work in the bathroom, beautiful dark wood furniture, flat screen tv, fridge, digital safe, king size comfortable bed. All the staff was so accomadating. The front desk helped me book rainforest, volcano, and city tours with a reputable tour company. I felt in good hands staying at La Amistad and will stay there again the next time I visit San Jose, Costa Rica.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 March 2009

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel La Amistad. After we arrived and settled in, Mathew the owner, gave us a tour of the area which included going to lunch with us. You dont ever get that type of hospitality. The rooms and bathrooms were beautifully remodeled. I stayed in room 101 and the water pressure in the shower felt like a fire hose. Rudy and Carlos were very kind and attentive to our every needs. They made all our tour reservations (last minute since we werent prepared). Just an absolute perfect weekend. I know we will be coming to San Jose twice a year and i wont even attempt to look at another hotel, there is no need. Thanks Matt for the great weekend. Hope to see you and your team soon. Joe

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends