“Good Spot for a Stopover”
Review of Hotel La Amistad

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Jose
Hotel La Amistad
Ranked #35 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
San Diego, California
“Good Spot for a Stopover”
Reviewed 9 May 2009

This review is based on only a one-night stay, but we enjoyed our stay very much. We were greeted warmly when we arrived, and the service from both Carlos and Matt were great throughout. The room was large, with a king-size bed with a good mattress and nice linens. Nice bathroom, but no counter space and a very low small sink were minuses. Also, we were right at the top of the stairs that come up from the lobby, and voices from the lobby could be heard quite clearly in the room. Wonderful wood floors, sparkling clean. It was nice to have two chairs in the room, as well as a desk for the computer, and high-speed Internet. Excellent lighting, which we always appreciate for reading. We had to leave before the advertised breakfast time, but Carlos got up early and had it all laid out for us an hour early. Overall we give the hotel good marks and will return on our next visit to Costa Rica.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LandCruisers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Florida
Reviewed 5 May 2009

The staff are very courteous. Language is not a problem. Easy check in. Quite easy going atmosphere. The owners is always about or a phone call away. Rooms range from basic to full suites. Going back in June for two weeks.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 30 April 2009

We stayed only one night at Hotel La Amistad as we came into Costa Rica through San Jose. We had a problem with our reservation (I had reserved 2 rooms, but they said I only had one.) However, they resolved the confusion with no problem. This hotel is a great value considering that it offers clean (somewhat spartan) rooms and breakfast in the morning. Our bed was a bit uncomfortable (it was sloped, so we kept rolling in toward the middle), and our room was very small, and I was happy we were not to have an extended stay there. However, it was perfect for what we wanted -- an inexpensive place to spend our first night before the real vacation began! The breakfast was quite good -- made to order. There were eggs, ham, pancakes, fruit, cereal. A generally pleasant experience.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank writeabm
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 April 2009

The hotel is in an excellent location. Within walking distance from some of the greatest restaurants and a short cab drive away from others. Also, just a brisk walk from downtown where you can see the sights and mingle with the locals. My favorite aspect of the hotel is NO TWO ROOMS ARE ALIKE. The owner Matt Kinkelaar has an eye for detail and comfort that you won't believe. From the most basic room to their luxurious suites I guarantee you won't be disdappointed and I challenge ANY hotel to beat their price... add a FREE hot breakfast made to order EVERY MORNING and you're in travel heaven :) . This hotel is such a treat you won't know what you enjoyed most, Hotel La Amistad or San Jose...

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank justrocky
Winnipeg
Reviewed 26 April 2009

I was recently on a business trip in San Jose Costa Rica. I travel frequently and I am always looking for great value and to save money, especially in these tough economic times. I have found another such place in San Jose Cost Rica. My first business trip to San Jose, CR was in January '09, my most recent trip was in March/April '09. During my business travels In the US & Canada I usually pay $100 to $130 a night, however at Hotel La Amistad rates are from $70 a night. A 30% savings for me is significant.

The hotel is situated within walking distance from downtown but far enough away that it is in a very safe area. It is one block from Hospital Calderon Guardia and one block in the other direction is a middle to upscale restaurant, Cafe Mundo. I have enjoyed several lunches and dinners there.

The hotel staff are exceptional. The hotel managers, Carlos & Rudy our fluent in english and go above and beyond to provide exceptional friendly service. I required some business assistance several times during my visits and in every instance Rudy & Carlos exceeded my expecations. I have never received better service. I also required some special business assistance and was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to speak with the owner of the hotel, the information & services he provided was invaluable. Once again, exceptional service.

The house keeping staff are superb, they exceeded my expecations every time. They are friendly and accomodating in every respect. They always try to exceed your expectations. This was my fourth stay at the hotel and the experience was the same with every stay, absolutely wonderful.

There are sevel types of rooms. Queen, King & Suites. The rooms have nice hard wood floors which I prefer over carpet. There are several suites including a few new ones. They are exceptional and have ceramic tile. Amistad has rooms to suite every travelers needs. I have stayed in every type of room at the hotel, all are exceptionally clean. If you require more space I suggest requesting a suite, you will certainly be pleased. All the rooms have large tv's and the suites have large flat lcd tv's. 70 channels including two free movie channels.

The lobby is inviting with a comfortable lounge and large lcd flat tv screen. In the morning you will enjoy their free breakfest. Eggs, omelettes, sausage, western. Assortment of freshly cut fruits, watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple etc. Cereal, orange juice, coffee are also included free of charge.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank treasurehunterjason
new york
Reviewed 13 April 2009

To start, I have been to Costa Rica a few times. Stay in many different hotels (large chain hotels and small B&B types. unless your staying at the large chain hotels most room in San Jose are kinda small) I think, this is a old mansion that has been refurbished and updated to a hotel. I came across this site and found this hotel price and location to be what I was looking for. after reading the reviews i was hoping most was true. so I called the hotel to find out if there was room available. i booked the cheapest room available for two nights and plan on extending my stay if i find the hotel to my liking. arrived about 1 PM and was welcome by a very friendly staff. The rooms are new and done with great taste. The beds are memory foam mattresss extremely comfortable. i met the owner Matt on my way out. after a short chat he show me the other room in the hotel. the price range was from $69 to $139. the suites are very nicely done. after taking to Matt he offer me a free upgrade to one of the suite to see how i like it. well i extended my stay and was very glad i came a cross this site and found this hotel. To me La Amistad has a feel of large B&B, great customer services and price is very reasonable

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank kelamor
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 13 April 2009

I have stayed here a handful of times & I've had very pleasant experiences. First, the property is clean - from what I have seen it appears the entire hotel has hardwood &/or tile floors & they are kept very clean - I personally do not care for hotel carpet. Second, the price is very reasonable ~ $65 night. Also, for hotel beds they are quite comfortable. Additionally, it is very quiet in the evenings, however, in the morning one can hear people walking about on the hardwood/tile floors but I always awake early so that is a non issue for me. Again, I have enjoyed staying at this property.
Keith Beam