“Perfect location in the center of it all ... San Jose, Costa Rica.”
Review of Hotel El Maragato

Hotel El Maragato
Ranked #41 of 84 Hotels in San Jose
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Perfect location in the center of it all ... San Jose, Costa Rica.”
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

It was my first time staying in a hostel, after doing my research I was ready to explore. I stayed for two weeks in Monteverde, and Flamingo, and riding to downtown San Jose it was an eye opener.
The taxi service dropped me off at a nearby hotel around the corner, and I had to walk to El Maragato with my suitcase because of its location. Thankfully a kind employee from the drop off hotel carried my suitcase.
Naturally I was surprised to see so many folks on the streets of San Jose, coming from Monteverde and Flamingo. Yet i was surprised by the looks of the El Maragato from the outaide was very disappointing.The pictures on the Internet of the hostel was totally different from than the actual hostel itself, and is in need of an outside paint job.
The lobby is very bright and clean with nice shiny floors, but floors three and above needs improvement.
The staff is the very best, and everyone was helpful.
On my arrival I mentioned to the desk clerk a handsome guy name Luis ... I think that was his name. I told him about the reviews I read, and suggest not giving me a room facing the balcony. The reviews stated it was not a good idea for sleeping in the front, because of the constant noise outside.
He had no problem giving me room number 603. Although the
room was peaceful, and better than the noise from the busy downtown street. There was one major drawback. It was next to a fire exit, and the bathroom with a window had no curtains which in my point of view made it easy for a pervert to peek in on you. I do not suggest room 603 for a single female traveling alone. As I mentioned earlier the staff was friendly, and will go out of their way to provide information and help at your request.
The cord to my IPhone had given out. I found an IPhone store, but the staff gave me one to use. I didn't need to purchase an extra cord. I was able to practice my Spainsh with a few staff members. You must speak Spanish in San Jose. The staff had no problems correcting my use of verbs.
I would stay here again because of the downtown location, and the staff kindness.
El Maragato is a place to remember.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank BooksbyrobynHowzell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed there for 2 nights, on separate occasions. My first stay was a very positive experience: a nice, clean enough room, awesome staff, and given the location, looked like a very good deal. on my second stay, everything was the same, except for the room: dirty floors, cockroaches in the bathroom, TV not working, and shower was basically not useable. I almost wanted to give it more stars because the staff is just awesome.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Vlad A
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

I am writing this from family angle. We arrived by car (my mistake really, should have stayed away from the city) late. There is nowhere to park so I ended up leaving the car in the street and moving it to the parking lot at 5.30. Rooms are dirty, after walking on carpet your socks are black. Shower had disgusting black growth around shower head. Bad start to a vacation in Costa Rica. Stay away.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Olegred

Travellers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 March 2014

First off I must say that the staff are first class. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels over my 67 years and this bunch is amongst the best. The reception staff is so helpful, with their great command of the English language and can't say enough for them, first class. I have scheduled trips from the hotel and they took care of all of the details, even have cab drivers that they knew. I enjoy the free breakfast also and the breakfast staff is helpful as well.The rooms themselves are large, and the beds are adequate. The location is ideal for seeing the sights of San Jose,the National Theater is right around the corner.For the price this is an excellent choice.

Room Tip: As for a room in the back when making reservation, as the front rooms can be a bit noisy, for people...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Hotel is located in a busy pedestrian area near the cultural museum, national theatre and national museum. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. I didn't feel at a loss since my Spanish isn't that great. The room was adequate, providing just the basics. WiFi was a little spotty, bathroom was tiny. Room had a balcony which was a nice touch however the pedestrian area was busy and noisy throughout the day and into late evening. Special thanks to Luis & Paolo!

Room Tip: Select a room opposite the street side as they are quieter; book your day excursions through the fro...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank s5541
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

The hotel is in a great location, right in the centre of San Jose. Note it's in a pedestrian area so you won't be able to drive right up to it. The facilities are somewhat basic and dated, but quite adequate, for the money. A reasonable place to spend a night, but not more than that.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple