“traveler's choice”
Review of Hotel El Maragato

Hotel El Maragato
Ranked #43 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 23 July 2014

So a group of friends and I were passing through San Jose for a night and needed a place that was in the city. This way we could easily get around and check out the town. Honestly, we got dropped off by our cab from the airport at 2am and it was sketchy - only to realize it's a hotel in the middle of a strip of shops...so of course everything was closed down. By the time we woke up the next day, everyone was outside and it was hustle bustle and pretty fun to people watch. The noise level is up during the day, but you should be out and about anyway! The hotel was pretty clean...the service was kind. The front desk was very helpful and got back to all our needs and questions. They helped recommend good places to check out and restaurants to eat at. I didn't mind staying here for the price we paid and the central location. The only challenge is if you have a car, you have to park it overnight in a lot - which can be tricky if you have to get your car early in the morning because they don't open until 8 or 9am.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank missdeezon

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel is great as always , I say all the time. Staff is the best you can ask for. Great food great service nice people. The room was nice. Not my room I stay in 506. But this time there were busy. I was moved to 705. Still nice but not as good as my room. But as always , this hotel is the best for the money. Some days I think I should say something bad about the hotel. Just so I can get my room. But if you want a great stay in San Jose. Stay here !! It's GREAT love the staff and the manger. They make you feel like home. Can,'t wait to come back! Once again , thanks to all the staff and Louis for the great stay.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Digness
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The hotel, “El Maragato” in the center of the commercial shopping district of San Jose, Costa Rica was not great, but I have paid more for less. Bottom line, yes I would go back! This older hotel had some glitches in the service and furnishings, but the beds were comfortable, bug free and the hotel and rooms were safe and secure. For about thirty two dollars a night, there was a large room, two double beds, a private shower and a balcony.
My purpose was to have a central location close to San Juan de Dios hospital. This was a short walk away. The taxi informed me that he could not drop me off at the door because this hotel was on the pedestrian only walkway. The hotel lacked any identifying signs, neither outside nor over the front desk. I found the hotel by the salmon color of the balconies. I had a fifth floor room with a balcony. The street vendors on that pedestrian walkway kept us entertained all night…sometimes good and sometimes not so good. One night in the early evening there was a wonderful evening of some Indian type flute music being played. Regretfully there was also the beep-beep of the pedestrian cross walk warning all night long.
Ice was on the third floor and in the chest freezer behind the fire escape hall. A serve yourself bag of ice nested there with frozen fish fillets and lobster tails. One of the promised amenities was coffee in the room. There was a small coffee maker and one of those pouches of pre measured coffee. The next day there was none. I asked. They ran out. They would have some the next day. Welcome to Costa Rica, baby!
One of my favorite parts was the shops nearby. Right next door, a large convoluted maze of a super market sold everything and also offered a large clean upstairs cafeteria with affordable meals. Saturday was “Sopa de Mariscos” (seafood soup with shellfish) for less than $6.00. An early morning bakery diagonally across the street had pastries that were surprisingly delicious! So: location! Location! Location!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RiverheadResearch
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have stayed at some budget hotels (especially when I have completely exhausted my vacation allowance for the year, but still have the urge to travel) so I know that budget does not necessarily mean dirty. This hotel has dirt everywhere- on the carpet, walls, curtains, etc. It's filthy so make sure you know that if you're thinking about staying here. If you can deal with filth, then you will like this hotel.

I always used my bedroom slippers and shower shoes when I was in the room, and I promptly disinfected both once I got home. The breakfast was decent so that was nice. The location of the hotel is great because it's located right in the center of town, and you can walk to everything, but make sure you bring noise cancelling headphones because the noise from the street (at all hours of the night) is unbearable without listening to music.

Whatever you do, don't ask the hotel to call you a taxi. They called me a dirty, average taxi (no limousine service) and charged me double what I paid a regular taxi driver. I speak fluent Spanish so no it was not a misunderstanding. I had no time to argue with the taxi driver so I paid him, but I then called the hotel to complain once I got back home. I thought that they might at least apologize or refund some of my money, but I was wrong. At any rate, I did not enjoy my stay at this hotel, and I don't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

It was my first time staying in a hostel, after doing my research I was ready to explore. I stayed for two weeks in Monteverde, and Flamingo, and riding to downtown San Jose it was an eye opener.
The taxi service dropped me off at a nearby hotel around the corner, and I had to walk to El Maragato with my suitcase because of its location. Thankfully a kind employee from the drop off hotel carried my suitcase.
Naturally I was surprised to see so many folks on the streets of San Jose, coming from Monteverde and Flamingo. Yet i was surprised by the looks of the El Maragato from the outaide was very disappointing.The pictures on the Internet of the hostel was totally different from than the actual hostel itself, and is in need of an outside paint job.
The lobby is very bright and clean with nice shiny floors, but floors three and above needs improvement.
The staff is the very best, and everyone was helpful.
On my arrival I mentioned to the desk clerk a handsome guy name Luis ... I think that was his name. I told him about the reviews I read, and suggest not giving me a room facing the balcony. The reviews stated it was not a good idea for sleeping in the front, because of the constant noise outside.
He had no problem giving me room number 603. Although the
room was peaceful, and better than the noise from the busy downtown street. There was one major drawback. It was next to a fire exit, and the bathroom with a window had no curtains which in my point of view made it easy for a pervert to peek in on you. I do not suggest room 603 for a single female traveling alone. As I mentioned earlier the staff was friendly, and will go out of their way to provide information and help at your request.
The cord to my IPhone had given out. I found an IPhone store, but the staff gave me one to use. I didn't need to purchase an extra cord. I was able to practice my Spainsh with a few staff members. You must speak Spanish in San Jose. The staff had no problems correcting my use of verbs.
I would stay here again because of the downtown location, and the staff kindness.
El Maragato is a place to remember.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank BooksbyrobynHowzell
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed there for 2 nights, on separate occasions. My first stay was a very positive experience: a nice, clean enough room, awesome staff, and given the location, looked like a very good deal. on my second stay, everything was the same, except for the room: dirty floors, cockroaches in the bathroom, TV not working, and shower was basically not useable. I almost wanted to give it more stars because the staff is just awesome.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Vlad A
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

I am writing this from family angle. We arrived by car (my mistake really, should have stayed away from the city) late. There is nowhere to park so I ended up leaving the car in the street and moving it to the parking lot at 5.30. Rooms are dirty, after walking on carpet your socks are black. Shower had disgusting black growth around shower head. Bad start to a vacation in Costa Rica. Stay away.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family