“Great little paradise in the city”

Colours Oasis Resort
Ranked #30 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
California
“Great little paradise in the city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I was pleasantly surprised to enter the hotel and find a a mini paradise inside. Turquoise pool, tropical plants and chairs for lounging in the sun. The staff were all friendly, helpful and very accommodating. I came back several times during my trip in Costa Rica and the staff felt like friends. I stayed in 2 different rooms which were both great: one had a skylight in the bathroom for lots of light and the other was brand new. Both were very quiet. The hotel isn't very close to the city center but as I was passing through San Jose, what was important to me was to feel like I wasn't in the city, which is exactly what Colours provides. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Colours!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank TravelHappy84

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Staying at Colours has always been a special treat! This will be my 8th stay since 2006. I always stay there because it works so well not only as a place to stop over on the way in to and out of CR but also as a comfortable place to spend my entire time in CR. It is extremely reasonably priced, clean, and the staff could not be more helpful, courteous and each one truly desires to help you make the right decisions for your time in CR. They will help you with selecting the right room for your particular needs and situation because there are a wide variety of different rooms available that range in price from very reasonable to more deluxe and therefore more expensive. I typically get a reasonable room and when my money is tight, their little $49 room is the deal of the century. ALL the rooms are CLEAN and well maintained. Just this last time, we checked in and were only going to stay one night and then go out to Quepos. However, our plans abruptly changed due to a family emergency back at home. So, we decided to simply stay at Colours for a couple of days and then return home. Since the first room we checked in to was one of the smaller ones, we decided we would like a little more space for the three days we could stay. So, Liz and Keven could not have been nicer and more helpful as they showed us another room that perfectly met our needs since we were staying for three or four nights instead of just one. It was a whopping $10 more per night. Again, the prices are very reasonable for this very clean and friendly, well managed, boutique hotel that is primarily gay oriented but inclusive of all, which is what we ask of the non gay community, so we need to be inclusive of all others as well. Other reviews have said things about the rooms and those comments are unfortunate because they are giving Colours an unfair shake. As the owner mentioned, all a guest needs to do, is simply ask for what they need and I am 100% sure that if it is possible, Liz and Keven and David will do anything they can to make that guest's stay as perfect as possible. They will help you with all travel arrangements to go to other locations in CR asking you what you desire in terms of activities, budget, amenities etc. Everyone has different needs and desires. All you have to do is be open and the staff at Colours will definitely help you do what you tell them you want to do.
The food from the restaurant was wonderful. We had dinner there each night and snacks during the day. The breakfast is included and the other meals and drinks are added to your guest check. The food was scrumptuous and unique. Again, this is not a "cookie cutter" type of hotel and therefore your experience will be more interactive with the staff in order for you to truly get something different that you will enjoy more than if everything was the same for everyone. I highly recommend the food and eating some dinners at Colours!

Room Tip: Budget friendly rooms are smaller than the still very moderately priced larger rooms. The deluxe ro...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Walter687
Corsica, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

I had a wonderful stay at the Colours Oasis Resort. It's a very quiet and peaceful place. My room was nice and always very clean. This place is perfect if you want to rest or relax by the pool. The food served at the restaurant is also very tasty and the menu is really diversified.
Last but not least : the warm welcome from all the staff there !! Everyone is always nice, smily and willing to help the best they can. I often had the impression of staying in a cosy "family house."
I'll definitely go back there and recommend it to my friend !

Room Tip: I chose a "superior" double room and was very pleased with it.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Pierre C
KALAMAZOO, MI.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

Upon our arrival to the Colours receptionist....the Owner was standing behind the counter. Then ,....nor at any other time during our 3 day stay did he welcome or greet us. When I mentioned in front of others that a "Welcome" etc to us would have been most thoughtful...his literal reply was "THAT is what I hire Staff to do!!!" My partner and I will not return to Colours

Room Tip: Ours was tiny with no room for luggage. There are some studio type apts here.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
james c, General Manager at Colours Oasis Resort, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
After hosting guests at Colours since our beginning, I am perplexed and saddened by reading your review comments. I truly apologize if you did not receive “my personal attention” but at least your highest rating was for the service you received from our staff. As the operational host of the owning company, I do, at times, become very involved in many property issues including emergency repairs and may not have the opportunity at that moment to spend time directly with our guests. The attentive staff of Colours, however, is always there to attend your needs, offer food and drink, answer any questions, arrange any tours or offer any information you need while staying with us. One of the greatest gifts of being in this business for over 3 decades is that I have cultivated friendships with guests from all over the world. I do travel extensively myself (rarely ever "seeing the owners”) but while absent the Colours “Spirit” is always present with the crew assembled to serve our guests. Please accept my apologies if you truly felt anything was lacking in that regard, and in clarification, you did not quote me literally, completely or correctly. I believe you overheard and gave your partial interpretation of a conversation I was having while jesting with another guest and dealing with my "current state of absence” resolving a repair problem: "I may be personally traveling, away from the property or be occupied with something urgent, but I am still reassured that everyone is being taken care of … I have a great staff for that!!" I have always been proud of our crew … many have been with me for nearly a decade and Leo, our morning breakfast man for over 17 years commuting around three hours daily by bus! As a boutique style property with 21 varied options, we do have budget saver rooms that some may consider compact. Unfortunately, the staff person who brought you to your selected room may have failed to point out, in these economy rooms, as in all our rooms, we have custom bed frames slightly elevated to provide ample luggage storage - under and around - the entire bed. It is also unfortunate you did not mention your dissatisfaction with your room selection during your stay. We are always happy to show you any other available from these varied rooms styles to be sure you will be comfortable. I hope you will accept these apologies and reconsider a future visit to Costa Rica and Colours.
Miami Beach
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

My partner and I recently stayed at the resort for three nights.
Our choice was primarily based on wanting to support a
predominately gay establishment.

The staff was very friendly and efficient, with special
commendations going to Warren and David. Oddly,
the owner of the hotel passed us several times while
we were at the property; he never said hello or asked
how we were enjoying our stay! We found this somewhat
rude.

Our room #12 was very comfortable, although traffic noise
could be heard early each morning. The public areas were
charming.

The neighborhood the hotel is in seemed to be a safe one.
However, the hotel is far removed from the few attractions
San Jose has to offer. Should we need to overnight in San
Jose on any future trip to Costa Rica, we would probably
opt to stay at a hotel nearer the airport for only one night.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room where noise from street traffic is less likely to be an issue than the room...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed at Colours Oasis on two separate nights, just after arriving and just before departing from San Jose airport. The resort is not in a particularly attractive nor unattractive area, but it is convenient because it is close to the airport.

Service is very good, professional and friendly, also when arriving or departing in middle of night. Rooms are well appointed and very clean. Especially the second room we stayed in (nr 25) was very nice with separate living room and large bathroom, and appeared to be a relatively new addition to the resort.

Breakfast was not spectacular but adequate and ok. The restaurant provided us with a very tasty dinner though, so as a suggestion maybe also the breakfast can be made of a similar quality.

We would certainly consider staying here again when flying in or out of San Jose next.

Room Tip: If road noise bothers you, you may want go request a room away from the main road.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We booked Colours because of it proximity to Pavas Airport as we had a 5:45am flight the next morning. We knew it was a Gay friendly hotel but that did not concern us and as it turned out it was never an issue.

We arrived early and settled in. We never saw anyone other than staff for the rest of our stay. The helpful manager directed us to the nearest ATM which we found easily. We asked about dinner and were told the kitchen opened at 5. We came to the bar at 5 to be told that because the hotel was empty the chef was given the night off. Directions to the local restaurant were given and we had a good meal there. We returned to the hotel to confirm our early morning taxi and wake up call. Told that both would be provided by the Security Guard who would be stationed outside the hotel. We were then locked in for the night - the only people actually on the premises. Next morning the wake up call came. We got up, packed and went to the front door where we found the security guard outside as promised. He phoned friend across the street who drove us to the airport.

This was an experience we were not expecting. A little scary but everything worked out. Can't really comment on the hotel. Room was comfortable. Hotel was quiet!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple