“Confortable basecamp”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Montreal, Canada
“Confortable basecamp”
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel, our goal was to take a break from the pacific side before heading to Tortuguero. You can't expect from outside how cute it is inside. The fact that you can parc your car in a safe place and walk easily to the downtown, to the zoo and to all what there is to see around, is a huge Plus. We reserved the superior plus room, wich is equivalent to a La Quinta standard room. It was spacious, clean with a small garden path. Like everybody said, the breakfast was delicious. I didn't like the fact that you hear people in the corridor even if they are not talking loudly. So if this disturbs you, ask for a quiet room situated at the end of the corridor for example. I had my purse stolen the last morning at breakfast time. The tables in the garden were all occupied so we stayed in a sort of dinning room near the kitchen and I only left like 2 minutes. I asked the waiter, he told me to go to the front desk, and there, the guy told me to ask the waiter... Anyways, they said they searched but I didn't see anybody taking it seriously. I give 4 points because it's a nice place and the ratio quality/price deserves it. But I keep the fifth point for another place and I blame myself for the lost of my purse.

Room Tip: Sounds like a dumb advise but according to my experience, do not let your belongings unattended.If y...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Minamtl
sjara, Propietario at Hotel Aranjuez, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
We want to inform you that due to the situation you went through we’ve taken serious actions to increase the security in our social areas like the installation of new cameras. Even if the 80% of our clients are from the United States of America, we can’t have control over all the people that get around the Hotel Aranjuez. In any case, we always recommend our clients to keep an eye on their personal belongings.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Arabic first
Poole
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I stayed in this hotel back in October 2009 when I based myself in San Jose. I found it to be a very convenient hotel which wasn't too expensive and is suitable for travellers who want to unwind before or after their trips within Costa Rica. The rooms had comfortable beds, a private shower, a telephone which offered free calls within Costa Rica, and a security safe box to place your valuables in. The breakfast service was very good, you had a wide range of choice of foods, fruit juices, and coffee, all of which you could have as much as you like. Free internet was also available but at the time of my stay there was only 2 computers available so sometimes you had to wait for somebody to come off, otherwise I believe WiFi was also available. The staff were helpful with information you needed to know, and the city centre was only a 10 minute walk away otherwise the hotel was located away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You can also book tours from the hotel.

The only negative things I had to say about the hotel was that one receptionist seemed that he couldn't be bothered to help book a tour for me and told me to phone the company, and I also got bitten by ants in one room. Otherwise it wasn't such a big deal.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank RazorRen
Pacific NW
Reviewed 10 January 2012

The Hotel is a hidden gem with a B&B feel, excellent staff and as others have already reported it has one of the best breakfast buffets to be found. We opted for the superior plus room which we found to be quite large, well furnished and clean. This is not your cookie cutter 'major chain" hotel, but that is the reason we choose to stay here. Our room faced the interior greenspace and was quiet. The rooms are in former houses that have been remodelled and connected by stairs and hallways. We would stay here again when we return to San Jose.

Linden, Michigan
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Spent two nights here before returning home. Most buildings have bars on the windows to prevent vandalism so I was really glad this hotel provided secure parking behind a metal gate. Very friendly staff. Our room the first night was on the inside part of the hotel which is quite loud. I think the website might brag about soundproof rooms. If they do, that is not true at all. The second night was much quieter so you might want to request a room NOT on the inside section. The breakfast buffet is really great. It's included in the price. I love the garden setting in the breakfast area. I do agree with another reviewer about the sand paper towels. Wow!!! Never experienced such poor quality towels. They air dry everything which is great for the environment but not for the body!

1 Thank MarlaB
sjara, Gerente at Hotel Aranjuez, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Thank you for your commentary. We inform you that we’ve change our laundry supplier and, also, our towels. So we hope that we won’t have any more problems with this major importance subject.
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 3 January 2012

This hotel does not seem like much from the outside but once we stepped inside, we felt comfortable and were greeted with excellent service. The place feels small and somewhat old and creaky but it is very clean and has hot water showers. The breakfast however, leads you into a whole new world. It is like dining in a garden of Eden. The presentation and variety is amazing and the food and coffee are delicious. The breakfast is definitely a 5 star plus experience.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for an excellent mid range price accommodation.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 1 January 2012

I really should have given them 5 stars, but didn't for probably the wrong reasons; the place is a bit on the spartan, rustic side. Don't get me wrong, it's clean, friendly, in a good neighbourhood (safe) and is an unreal bargain for what you pay. It also has a free buffet breakfast that would fall in anyone's book as a 4-5 star. I stayed at the Best Western Carriere in San Jose last year, if anyone reading this has, and the breakfast buffets are comparable between the two. One is 150 US dollars a night, this one is about 50!! We stayed 2 nights on upon arriving in San Jose, and will be staying again (booked it already) the night before we head home to Canada. Book early; this place is full almost every night! A big shout out to my little red squirrel buddy: he'll eat right out of your hand if you have the right offering. I saw someone else feed him, but when I tried, he came right up, turned his nose up to fruit, pasta, meat, bread and I forget which else. Finicky little bugger. I'll figure it out next time!!!

1 Thank Rink64
Sussex/Torrox
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Simple but friendly and full of character. The buffet breakfast set out on the delightful verandah looking over the garden is superb and way better than one would expect at this price point. The rooms are simple but comfortable. No, the plumbing, TV etc are not 5 star standards but you are not paying 5 star prices. The walk into downtown San Jose is about 15 minutes, uphill coming back. Taxis are only a couple of Dollars. The area around the hotel seems safe at night and there are a couple of local snack bars/bakeries just down the road. Walking back from town probably not a good idea at night as there are some fairly isolated areas. We were recommended to a tour company before we left UK and it turned out to be the same one that operates from the hotel tour desk. They were superb. We did the Highlights tour (Doka Coffee/Poas Volcano/La Paz Wildlife Refuge and Waterfalls) La Paz is the real 'must see' for us. These tours seem always available so no need to book before arrival. We also had some booking issues, the confusion in our case was caused by them taking my middle name as the surname, hence not being able to find the booking when I tried to confirm it.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple